How to Rev while Driving?

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Don't listen to these guys. There's nothing wrong with popping it into neutral and giving it a few revs to let others hear the song of your people.

Afterwards you can get a transmission rebuild from Jacks or Pure.
Sponsored

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
You guys donā€™t like making noise? I mean, the responses are funny, donā€™t get me wrong. But not everyone looking to rev intends are dropping it in gear at redline.

At speed, I just downshift and have at it (in gear).

Bumming around parking garages or parking lots, it lets me put it into neutral while rolling (I press the unlock button and move it into neutral, but it sounds like I donā€™t have to ā€œunlockā€ it? Iā€™ll have to try that.). Iā€™m typically driving so slow that (when the revs drop to idle) it lets me bump it back into gear.

I have not tried to do the above while moving fast - too scared. Not sure if/how the trans will know how to match revs and go back into gear.

This is something R8s can do, and Iā€™ve heard that some Porsches and Ferraris have been able to, as well.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
A+ thread, will read again

In the C8 if you pull both handles back it goes to neutral so you can act a fool. DCT vs tq converter

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
The ONLY benefit of getting the slower manual version, you can rev it while drive. Oh well. Ill take my second faster version.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Circling back on this.

I accidentally bumped the car into neutral at 42mph. I simply (and quickly) revved back to the last known RPM and put it in D. The trans re-engaged very smoothly.

So, if youā€™re rolling with any amount of speed in N, do what youā€™d do in a manual car to get it back in gear.

How did you accidentally put it in N at 42mph? I thought I was in proper M mode, but I was in sport-but-hit-a-paddle-M-mode. I went to slap the shifter back into D, but since I was in D (in quasi M mode), I pushed the unlock button and bumped it into N.

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
In most to all DCT autos you can press both paddles at the same time and go into neutral. For what purpose? That's up the driver. Even BMW DCT has this.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675132

EDIT: My statement was never meant to prove that the ZF has or "should" have this function. Simply to say that DCT autos have this function. DCT is an auto, ZF is also an auto, has paddles, etc... OP has a legitimate question. No need to bash.

Last edited:

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I tried the two paddle pull method on my test drive of a Supra late last year. Obviously didn't work so I just put it in neutral. The car is pretty quiet IMO and I wanted to hear it rev while I was sitting at a stop light with the windows down. I wouldn't want to do this while moving though.