Car alarm goes off with OBDLink CX plugged in...

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
When I get a chance I’ll test both my CX and MX+ the way you’ve explained above. In the meantime I can say I’ve used both the same way with my Bimmerlink app... I turn off the car, I remove my iphone 11pro from the mount and simply close my screen only (I do not close any apps), step-out and lock the car (sometimes with the key fob, sometimes by touching the door handle). With the CX plugged in, the alarm goes off every time. With the MX+ plugged in, the alarm has never gone off.

So there you have a test with the same car, same person... CX vs MX+.

Like I said though, I’ll try it per your instructions tomorrow.
Appreciate that. If the MX+ is able to disconnect more “automatically” than the CX, I’ll look into picking one up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TimM.

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
Appreciate that. If the MX+ is able to disconnect more “automatically” than the CX, I’ll look into picking one up.
Sorry I haven’t gotten around to fulfilling my promise yet. However, since my post the MX+ did set off my alarm after locking the car one time. Also, I need to figure out where I put my CX. I’m a little disappointed in the MX+ anyway. I bought it specifically to get engine telemetry onto my Harry’s Lap Timer app and The app either says OBD data is too slow, or when it’s not too slow, my engine is put in some kind of safe mode. It works fine with BimmerLink app and the app that came with it... although I have to manually connect MX+ but the CX always connects automatically.
That’s my experience so far. I can’t tell you my experience deserves much weight or consideration though because I’ve put very little effort into sorting out what my issues are.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Sorry I haven’t gotten around to fulfilling my promise yet. However, since my post the MX+ did set off my alarm after locking the car one time. Also, I need to figure out where I put my CX. I’m a little disappointed in the MX+ anyway. I bought it specifically to get engine telemetry onto my Harry’s Lap Timer app and The app either says OBD data is too slow, or when it’s not too slow, my engine is put in some kind of safe mode. It works fine with BimmerLink app and the app that came with it... although I have to manually connect MX+ but the CX always connects automatically.
That’s my experience so far. I can’t tell you my experience deserves much weight or consideration though because I’ve put very little effort into sorting out what my issues are.
Hi Tim,

No problem, what you’ve shared is already very useful. I’ve been testing alarm trigger scenarios with the CX and testing out how to switch it off.

Don’t worry about testing the CX for me, fact that your MX+ set it off at least once convinces me that I just gotta get in the habit of disconnecting before I lock the door.

The whole manual connection feature of the MX+ would be a hassle for my usage, so I’ll prob stick to the CX. The specs also show it drains less power than the MX+ and that works better for my non daily.

Hope you figure a way to get the Mx working with your app!
Sponsored