Car and Driver cover: "SUPRA!" + Studio Photos

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I'm warming up to the interior now. Even the steering wheel after looking at it in different lighting looks nice. Different angles and in various configurations as well. After just looking at it many times (and for a long time) it looks really handsome and looks special.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Really loving that interior!come December,it's you and i Supra!

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
I'm warming up to the interior now. Even the steering wheel after looking at it in different lighting looks nice. Different angles and in various configurations as well. After just looking at it many times (and for a long time) it looks really handsome and looks special.
Ha, yeah me too. My pre official release opinion of the car has flipped regarding interior vs exterior aesthetics. Before I thought they were on the right track with the exterior and it was going to look awesome with the camo off, but I was not enthused about the interior from what we'd seen of it. Now I really like the interior and think its actually the one area where the car has really improved on the mk4 (besides weight balance and CG). But the exterior, I am undecided about, I will wait to see actual production cars and it in person. Right now I'm struggling with all the extra body lines. Toyotas pics of the red car emphasize the issue most, especially the pure side profile. I wish the vent on the door wasn't a separate piece, in fact I wish it was just flush and there was no faux vent there at all. Also the lower quarter panel seam in front of the rear wheels seems unnecessary. I get that the one behind the wheel is necessary as that's just how modern bumper skins are made and they chose to carry that body seam on in front. But there are too many seams everywhere, especially with that clam shell hood. I think the car would look much better with at least those 2 seams removed.

And then the clam shell, I am really struggling with that one. Most people are like, "oh that's a cool design choice that we didn't expect cause it wasn't on the FT1" (it had no hood, 1 piece front end). And there are certainly benefits to a clam shell, HOWEVER, did anyone notice the new Z4 has one too? As well as the Z3 (the first Z4 had a conventional hood). My guess is the Z4 team decided they wanted a clam shell, and due to how that changes the engineering of all the under hood components and frame rails and such, the Supra by default was forced to have one. Which wasn't necessarily an issue for Toyota as the FT1 was ambiguous in that regard. However, all of the lines its adding is a little odd imo, and there are definitely weird ass panel gaps all over the place. I am hoping this is a fitment issue that will disappear on the production cars. Mostly we see it on the red one as the Silver and white cars look much better in that regard (in fact they look gorgeous in every way, the too many seam issue doesn't seem to afflict them as badly). So I'm a little undecided at this point. I really don't care for the pure side profile either, its a little too Dodge Viper for my taste and it feels like the hood height at the windshield is too high, like they did their best to stretch the FT1 onto this chassis and this is an ugly stretch mark they couldn't erase.