Catted DP

nickkim1499

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LE Supra
I am keeping away from catless DP's (although that would be awesome to have) because I do not want to get a tune and void my warranty. I was able to get a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty. Are there any catted (high flow) DP's that guarantee no CEL? I know AA has one...
Sponsored

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
any of the catted DP should be fine but keep in mind a DP does voids your warranty if the dealership notices/cares

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
Why would the catted downpipe void your warranty, unless the issue/failure was directly related to that part?

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Noob question but isnā€™t the main benefit of a downpipe quicker spool up and the power coming on stronger sooner? (Aside from sound) Like overall gains are modest with a stock tune but itā€™s more responsive?

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
And no i donā€™t see a catted downpipe voiding a warranty, if anything the reduction in back pressure would be beneficial for the longevity of everything i would think

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Noob question but isnā€™t the main benefit of a downpipe quicker spool up and the power coming on stronger sooner? (Aside from sound) Like overall gains are modest with a stock tune but itā€™s more responsive?
From dyno graphs I've seen, on stock tune it tends to benefit up top around 15-20whp

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
From dyno graphs I've seen, on stock tune it tends to benefit up top around 15-20whp
Iā€™ll take that, i donā€™t need a 10 second car

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
AA catted downpipe does not cause a CEL. Benefits of a DP include a lot more power than the stock catted downpipe and you can tell why when you compare them side by side.

Technically any aftermarket part on a vehicle can void warranty if it makes sense. Changing your springs and having your shocks go bad, a dealer can blame the springs and void your suspension warranty. Changing a DP and your secondary cats go bad will lead to them voiding warranty, things like that. Thats why you either to have a good service advisor or take it off before taking the car in for any related service..

We have catted AA downpipes in stock if anyone is interested, other brands as well!

-Josh

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
ANY downpipe will void warranty if it causes something around it to break and they decide to do some digging. The ECU stores high values so any numbers that go higher due to the downpipe will be a telltale sign that youā€™ve modded something even if/when itā€™s removed.

Bottom line: Choose your warranty or mods.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am keeping away from catless DP's (although that would be awesome to have) because I do not want to get a tune and void my warranty. I was able to get a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty. Are there any catted (high flow) DP's that guarantee no CEL? I know AA has one...
Did you read the fine print? Your lifetime warranty is likely only existent if you follow the manufacturer maintenance to a T and pay the dealership you purchased from for every bit of maintenance. Unless you plan on going to the dealer every time your manual or dealer says itā€™s time, you donā€™t have a lifetime warranty. Toyota does not offer one, your dealer does. And they do it hoping you pay them more for maintenance and never need the warranty or sell the car before you do. I would have fun with my car and not worry about that warranty. Hopefully you didnā€™t pay extra.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
We offer Cg Precision and Active Autowerke downpipe. They both offer no CEL guarantee

OP
OP

nickkim1499

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LE Supra
Did you read the fine print? Your lifetime warranty is likely only existent if you follow the manufacturer maintenance to a T and pay the dealership you purchased from for every bit of maintenance. Unless you plan on going to the dealer every time your manual or dealer says itā€™s time, you donā€™t have a lifetime warranty. Toyota does not offer one, your dealer does. And they do it hoping you pay them more for maintenance and never need the warranty or sell the car before you do. I would have fun with my car and not worry about that warranty. Hopefully you didnā€™t pay extra.

Yes, I was aware of the caveats to the lifetime warranty. I didn't pay extra so it was just an added bonus. I guess I'm just paranoid that a DP (catless or not) will somehow mess up my car if I don't tune it.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, I was aware of the caveats to the lifetime warranty. I didn't pay extra so it was just an added bonus. I guess I'm just paranoid that a DP (catless or not) will somehow mess up my car if I don't tune it.
I personally never have and never will change a downpipe without a tune. The small power gains are not worth the risk. Venders will tell you differently, but its always been a no-no to put a downpipe on a turbo car with no tune. Iā€™m sure these ECUs are smarter, but Iā€™ve seen a fair share of engines get damaged because of this.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I personally never have and never will change a downpipe without a tune. The small power gains are not worth the risk. Venders will tell you differently, but its always been a no-no to put a downpipe on a turbo car with no tune. Iā€™m sure these ECUs are smarter, but Iā€™ve seen a fair share of engines get damaged because of this.
Say it ain't so, I wanted the AA catted downpipes with no tune :/

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Modern cars with modern ECUs are a lot more smarter with things like high flow cats and intakes and will make adjustments within a given allowed ranged for more performance. The main thing to take away from this is any performance gain without a tune will not be that noticeable but the noise from the intake or downpipe is enough to persuade more than a few to make the leap.
Sponsored