Clutch Upgrade

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
I did not know holding the traction control button down for 10 secs would remove traction control completely. I just did it and my clutch would not engage AT ALL from 2nd to 3rd, got back to the shop and could smell the clutch. I haven't had an ounce of clutch slip with the VSC on though. Current set up is BM3 e50 and exhaust. Any advice on this?
Sponsored

Pizza

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8, 2023 Nocturnal 3.0 Premium (MT)
Are you sure that it wasn't just your tires spinning for a couple seconds?

It's difficult to see how your clutch can handle the torque just fine with TC on (or on sport), but it can't with TC off. Nothing else is changing, unless there is/would be wheelspin happening and it was previously limiting that through the TC and not allowing all of the torque to the wheels. Now that you've turned it off it's delivering more torque to the wheels and that's making the clutch slip.

Try doing a pull between 2 & 3 but only use enough throttle that it won't make the tires jump, the clutch shouldn't slip if it doesn't with TC on in the same conditions.

Also, iirc an e50 tune is pretty much at the top of what the stock clutch can handle, so either have your tuner make a more conservative tune for your car, be more conservative with your throttle inputs, or you'll probably need to look into a clutch upgrade.

CULaterJimzo

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' CUL A91 MT
Hmm, do you have iMT enabled? Either way turn off VSC completely again.

If iMT was on and did not allow you to engage 2nd to 3rd, try turning it off this time and see if it does. Sounds dumb but my car also behaves differently, but never like you explained it.

djmad

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ Supra MT, 07ā€™ 328i MT, 20ā€™ Civic AT
What tires are you running if you donā€™t mind me asking?

Iā€™m on stock tires w/ a custom e50 tune and my 1st and 2nd gear are basically useless due to the tire spin. My 3rd gear spins a bit too, but I just need the tires really warm to hook.

Because of this, Iā€™m leaning towards Pizzaā€™s response that itā€™s likely tire spin. When you drive with VSC off itā€™s no longer pulling timing (or very minimally) to deliver you more power. Pair this with not such grippy tires (like myself) and itā€™s spin city.

As Pizza mentioned though work on your throttle control when doing pulls with VSC off to create less tire slip and more grip. Also, if doing a 2nd to 3rd make sure your tires are warm ~80F. Iā€™ve only got my tires to hook once in 2nd, but my tire temp was ~100F.

OP
OP
MSport

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
What tires are you running if you donā€™t mind me asking?

Iā€™m on stock tires w/ a custom e50 tune and my 1st and 2nd gear are basically useless due to the tire spin. My 3rd gear spins a bit too, but I just need the tires really warm to hook.

Because of this, Iā€™m leaning towards Pizzaā€™s response that itā€™s likely tire spin. When you drive with VSC off itā€™s no longer pulling timing (or very minimally) to deliver you more power. Pair this with not such grippy tires (like myself) and itā€™s spin city.

As Pizza mentioned though work on your throttle control when doing pulls with VSC off to create less tire slip and more grip. Also, if doing a 2nd to 3rd make sure your tires are warm ~80F. Iā€™ve only got my tires to hook once in 2nd, but my tire temp was ~100F.

I could smell the clutch burning is why I'm sure it wasnt tire spin. I am running Yokohoma Advan Apex 305 in the rear. Rev match was not working, but when I turned traction control off I did hear some kind of clunking noise. Maybe this needs to be turned off at a stop?

djmad

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ Supra MT, 07ā€™ 328i MT, 20ā€™ Civic AT
I could smell the clutch burning is why I'm sure it wasnt tire spin. I am running Yokohoma Advan Apex 305 in the rear. Rev match was not working, but when I turned traction control off I did hear some kind of clunking noise. Maybe this needs to be turned off at a stop?
Aww ok.

I mean it could be your clutch not handling the torque of your e50 tune now. Is this a custom e50 tune or OTS e50 tune on BM3? If custom, you can have your tuner lower your torque like Pizza mentioned to minimize or prevent this from happening.

Currently, I'm at 570wtq and haven't had any issues like you've mentioned. However, I also don't dump my clutch or launch it from a standstill (maybe when I get a chance to do a 1/2 mile event). The clunking sound is a bit alarming, but I've turned VSC off both while driving and stopped without any weird noises.

OP
OP
MSport

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Aww ok.

I mean it could be your clutch not handling the torque of your e50 tune now. Is this a custom e50 tune or OTS e50 tune on BM3? If custom, you can have your tuner lower your torque like Pizza mentioned to minimize or prevent this from happening.

Currently, I'm at 570wtq and haven't had any issues like you've mentioned. However, I also don't dump my clutch or launch it from a standstill (maybe when I get a chance to do a 1/2 mile event). The clunking sound is a bit alarming, but I've turned VSC off both while driving and stopped without any weird noises.
yeah I donā€™t dump my clutch. She typically a garage queen. Iā€™ve had her 8 months and put 4k miles on here and thatā€™s mostly from weekend mountain cruises. I noticed rev match didnā€™t work either. I wonder if turning rev match off would help

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
my guess is cdv + torque + sensitive throttle caused the issue. the cdv forces the clutch to engage more slowly regardless of how you drive. deleting it may help.

Supra Sav

First Name
Sav
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 Silverado LBZ, '06 B7 A4, '08 e92 335i
+1 for CDV delete. CDV is just riding the clutch for you on every engagement. It was the first mod I did on my e92, back in the day. I would never go back to CDV!

dreadforge

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro MT
CDV delete should help mitigate this but once you start slippin' it's just a matter of time

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜20 M4 CS, ā€˜24 GR Supra 45th LE
+1 for CDV delete. CDV is just riding the clutch for you on every engagement. It was the first mod I did on my e92, back in the day. I would never go back to CDV!
agreed. Did CDV delete (swapped to e90 salve which doesnā€™t have a slave) and it made the clutch feel entirely different. Natural.
Sponsored