hanswurst24

hanswurst24

First Name
Hendrik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0
there were echoes of the lower powered Spec B at 335hp, but it was likely the early testing guise of the 385hp car.
If I'm reading the information on Bimmerpost correctly, 335hp was the power output of the first B58 used for test drives. Output was then increased to something around 350hp (don't know if built into any prototype, but engine unit was tested with this power level by BMW). Now the prototype (Toyota) seems to be powered by 385hp like you said.
And it seems very likely that the Z4 will also get this engine as its top-level.

that dash card from above shows the lower power level and I had heard 240hp, so now im confused.

EDIT: that dash card is from the Z4 so now makes sense why; pretty sure that's a Z4 only spec.
Dash card is the entry-level Z4, but that B48 engine version is used in the entry-level Toyota for EU too.

just asked about the 4cyl power level and was met with this response: "who said it is 240hp?"

couldn't get any other information unfortunately :(

wonder if they increased the power level much like the did on the 6cyl...
German source noted 185kW (around 250hp) for the mid-level Toyota. Looking again at Bimmerpost's list of upcoming models the Z4 in mid-level will get the new B48 with increased power output to 255hp.

Another thing that crossed my mind while reading through BMW engine codes: Anyone heard of the new B58B30O1? This B58 version is rumored to be the updated B58 for 2019 with "close to 400hp" - which might actually be the engine used in the prototypes...
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
interesting...

well, my biggest questions as of now: are there two 4cyl cars or two 6cyl cars because my understanding was that there was only a single variant of both.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Maybe they will offer the 4 cylinder model with a battery as a hybrid of some sorts ( like assisting turbos in early rpm ).

SupraMaybe

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BRZ
I spent the last few days thinking about the 6-cyl version and it is difficult for me to justify buying a $65k Toyota that essentially shares the same engine with a $45k BMW. We all know that the engine of a car is not everything and that the Toyota is supposed to be a light-weight sports car, but I am not sure if it is going to be worth the cost.

Hopefully, we will have more updates as things progress and more information from other competitors as well (next gen Corvette, Cayman, M3, etc., should be available within 2 years after the release of the new Toyota coupe).

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I spent the last few days thinking about the 6-cyl version and it is difficult for me to justify buying a $65k Toyota that essentially shares the same engine with a $45k BMW. We all know that the engine of a car is not everything and that the Toyota is supposed to be a light-weight sports car, but I am not sure if it is going to be worth the cost.

Hopefully, we will have more updates as things progress and more information from other competitors as well (next gen Corvette, Cayman, M3, etc., should be available within 2 years after the release of the new Toyota coupe).
I definitely agree with your sentiments. A 65k Toyota is a mistake.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
got some updates last night.

they were at least testing an N/A 4cyl but not sure if that's still a go (my source said that may end up just a bmw Z4 offering). the turbo 4cyl (spec-A) is still in development and did recieve a power bump around the same time the 6cyl went to 385hp. lastly, there is only one 6 cylinder model (spec-B).

SupraMaybe

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BRZ
got some updates last night.

they were at least testing an N/A 4cyl but not sure if that's still a go (my source said that may end up just a bmw Z4 offering). the turbo 4cyl (spec-A) is still in development and did recieve a power bump around the same time the 6cyl went to 385hp. lastly, there is only one 6 cylinder model (spec-B).
Thanks a lot for the update. Btw, do we know how the rest of the drivetrain of the turbo 4cyl differs from the 6cyl's other than the engine?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
no idea unfrotunately; I too am curious to know if the manual/diff is different between the two cars

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
they definitely have best in class interiors most of the time IMO

my favorite interiors however (and perhaps not shockingly) are Lexus; a lot folks say they have a lack of cohesiveness, but I think they are incredibly elegant and futuristic.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
I don't see any on the Z4. If it does have some it doesn't appear to be visible.

Mercedes interior >>>>>>> everyone else. :p

bmw-z5-interior-1.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.