Max USB Size? 256GB works so far

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
I'm wondering what the max usb size can be used, I'm currently using a 256GB and I filled it up, hoping our cars support 512 or 1tb? Anyone crazy enough to try a 2tb flash / nvme drive? I imagine the filesystem matters, but clearly its not just limited to 32gb or lower like some car infotainments.
Sponsored

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
I have a Samsung T7 1TB SSD and it works fine. Inital library sync is slower the more files you have but it works. I have it formatted in exFAT and all makes no difference the file size. Just make sure the files are in the format that the iDrive unit can read (e.g., FLAC, AVI, etc.).

eliotrw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ice Grey 3.0
Any tips on the best way to create something like this. What program to you guys use to make the structure and get the album art etc ? Or is that not possible?

And which filetypes work?

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
I have a Samsung T7 1TB SSD and it works fine. Inital library sync is slower the more files you have but it works. I have it formatted in exFAT and all makes no difference the file size. Just make sure the files are in the format that the iDrive unit can read (e.g., FLAC, AVI, etc.).
I got the T5 2TB SSD, and that works as well (not that it is completely full of music)

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I just play Spotify.. or play Apple Music. :crazy:

Geez, even music is getting fat and heavy..

OP
OP
Xproplayer

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
I just play Spotify.. or play Apple Music. :crazy:

Geez, even music is getting fat and heavy..
For an old man you sure use some hip technology :p I'm on android and spotify doesn't have my tastes, though I think longer term I'll buy the android auto "mod", this is a stopgap and now hilariou as I've ordered a 1tb flash drive

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
For an old man you sure use some hip technology :p I'm on android and spotify doesn't have my tastes, though I think longer term I'll buy the android auto "mod", this is a stopgap and now hilariou as I've ordered a 1tb flash drive
Nono, I think my iPhone controls me.. like an extension of my wife.. :hmm:

Jnhalstead

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
As long as it is exfat, should be fine

OP
OP
Xproplayer

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
So I copied over many music folders 1:1 from my library where each folder is a genre, but I have a python script to add 3 random letters to the start so that "next" via the scroll wheel is actually random / shuffle instead of just next alphabetical (I originally did this for the BRZ, shame that the Supra needs it too)

But I have 3 other folders which are combinations of other genres, and the car doesn't show those folders. The only thing I can think right now is the # of files inside the folders? Does the car ignore duplicate files (they're 100% duplicate lol, I haven't seen any form of playlist support, I bought a 1tb flash drive, yolo)? Any ideas why some folders might not show?

Edit: File counts:

4942, 4003, and 3930 files inside folders that aren't showing up
2710, 2041, 1963, 1866, 1720... etc etc for folders that do show up

Last edited:

zoppii

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, A70 Supra
So I copied over many music folders 1:1 from my library where each folder is a genre, but I have a python script to add 3 random letters to the start so that "next" via the scroll wheel is actually random / shuffle instead of just next alphabetical (I originally did this for the BRZ, shame that the Supra needs it too)

But I have 3 other folders which are combinations of other genres, and the car doesn't show those folders. The only thing I can think right now is the # of files inside the folders? Does the car ignore duplicate files (they're 100% duplicate lol, I haven't seen any form of playlist support, I bought a 1tb flash drive, yolo)? Any ideas why some folders might not show?

Edit: File counts:

4942, 4003, and 3930 files inside folders that aren't showing up
2710, 2041, 1963, 1866, 1720... etc etc for folders that do show up
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 1TB SD card seated into a USB converter 250 GB worth of MP3's (25000 songs) and and there are several folders that just don't show up.

OP
OP
Xproplayer

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 1TB SD card seated into a USB converter 250 GB worth of MP3's (25000 songs) and and there are several folders that just don't show up.
I've been having a similar issue, I have ~600gb of songs on a 1tb flash drive and some folders don't show up, I'll have to try and find where the disconnect is but so far the flash media size doesn't seem to be the limit.

zoppii

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, A70 Supra
Found a pretty nice alternative.
I rebuild ipod classics replacing the HDD with a 1TB SD card PCB combo (can make up to 2TB). The ones I replaced the iOS firmware with Rockbox seem to work pretty well. Its slower than the SD card. It's likely because the translation of the indexing that's being done in the ipod and sent to the Supra HU. The benefit though is:
all songs show
you get previous and next song information when on shuffle
You can use the ipod to level the sound using sound check.
You can use the ipod to pre EQ the input to the HU

OP
OP
Xproplayer

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
Found a pretty nice alternative.
I rebuild ipod classics replacing the HDD with a 1TB SD card PCB combo (can make up to 2TB). The ones I replaced the iOS firmware with Rockbox seem to work pretty well. Its slower than the SD card. It's likely because the translation of the indexing that's being done in the ipod and sent to the Supra HU. The benefit though is:
all songs show
you get previous and next song information when on shuffle
You can use the ipod to level the sound using sound check.
You can use the ipod to pre EQ the input to the HU
Does the car skip track and go back work? How does shuffle work?

zoppii

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, A70 Supra
Does the car skip track and go back work? How does shuffle work?
Yes, All the car controls work as normal including shuffle, sections of artist, track, album, play lists etc
Sponsored