Did I get ripped off on extended warranty?

OP
OP

Elyktd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RDX
Update: Since Tuesday I’ve been trying to cancel. Finance guy wanted to go back and forth with me on phone. Then stated he would send me form in email and I could send back.

Since then I left him a message saying to send me it to get this taken care of. No reply or form yet. Spoke to salesman who has been fine to deal with to see what he could do. He tells me the Finance Director is saying I need to physically come sign forms.

I’ve already made two separate 3 hr round trips to look at and buy the car. Offered to talk to GM today and complained that I find it hard to believe I can’t sign it and send back now. Apparently GM was gone for the day. What a nightmare this has turned into.

Any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this process before?

BTW thanks for all the feedback given.
Sponsored

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I’m an anti extended warranty person.

Just a major upsell for the finance department.

Why pay for double coverage during the first 3 years / 36k when you have factory Toyota warranty? And most finance this as well (paying even more than expected). A bad investment for nearly all.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
I paid $1500 for a 5 year / 100k mile warranty on mine, except the finance manager insisted it was a full bumper to bumper warranty, but when I read through all the paper work it was just the Gold plan that has a bunch of exclusions. I called the dealer up to ask wtf and they kept insisting I had a platinum plan, but weren't making any effort to correct the fact that all my paperwork said gold...

Finally just cancelled it, which was a huge pain in the ass on its own and took over a month for the money to show up on my loan. I kept trying to get them to do the cancellation over phone/email but they kept "forgetting" to email me the paperwork. Finally I drove across town and they insisted only the finance manager who sold the shit to me could help me. Waited around while he finished financing two customers and finally started bitching loudly about the bullshit when he told me he had to take a 3rd customer before he could help me. Finally that got the GM involved and I got the paperwork signed. Then two weeks later I talked to the company that processes the cancellations and they still hadn't received the cancellation from the dealer, so I just emailed them my own copies.

ChicagoMKV

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0 Turbulence Grey
You got ripped off. Send them a written notice of cancellation. Just tell them you changed your mind. Took me a month and several emails to finance manager to get my $$$ back. Here's what you should pay:

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.57.07 AM.png
Are these Toyota extra care platinum warranties transferable if the car is sold?

cactusA91

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
81Celica Supra(1st Car)/Taco/Ghia/A91 Wannabe
Update: Since Tuesday I’ve been trying to cancel. Finance guy wanted to go back and forth with me on phone. Then stated he would send me form in email and I could send back.

Since then I left him a message saying to send me it to get this taken care of. No reply or form yet. Spoke to salesman who has been fine to deal with to see what he could do. He tells me the Finance Director is saying I need to physically come sign forms.

I’ve already made two separate 3 hr round trips to look at and buy the car. Offered to talk to GM today and complained that I find it hard to believe I can’t sign it and send back now. Apparently GM was gone for the day. What a nightmare this has turned into.

Any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this process before?

BTW thanks for all the feedback given.
Keep at them. Email the GM and Finance Manager daily and call as well. Eventually they will tire of you and do anything to get rid of you.

cactusA91

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
81Celica Supra(1st Car)/Taco/Ghia/A91 Wannabe
Are these Toyota extra care platinum warranties transferable if the car is sold?
I think so. Let me check when I get home in a week or so to be sure. I just bought one for my Tacoma from Jennifer a couple of weeks before it came off warranty. It was a fair deal, but like all extended warranties I tend to be pretty skeptical on its value. That said I got talked into one for a Honda I had years ago and sold the car privately. The guy I sold it to showed up at my door with a transfer form for me to sign a year later, I did and he said I just saved him like $1500 in repairs. I had forgot all about it. Think I paid like $300 for it at the time.

Edit:

Yeah I think it is transferable:

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

This looks like the package I got sent. Additionally I got the brochure with all my vehicle info on it with a receipt both emailed and US Mailed.

Ground Beef

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
I just paid $758 for 5yr/75k through my credit union. It's the platinum coverage. I've NEVER bought an extended warranty, but seemed like a good idea with all the tech packed into this car.

ChicagoMKV

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0 Turbulence Grey
I think so. Let me check when I get home in a week or so to be sure. I just bought one for my Tacoma from Jennifer a couple of weeks before it came off warranty. It was a fair deal, but like all extended warranties I tend to be pretty skeptical on its value. That said I got talked into one for a Honda I had years ago and sold the car privately. The guy I sold it to showed up at my door with a transfer form for me to sign a year later, I did and he said I just saved him like $1500 in repairs. I had forgot all about it. Think I paid like $300 for it at the time.

Edit:

Yeah I think it is transferable:

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

This looks like the package I got sent. Additionally I got the brochure with all my vehicle info on it with a receipt both emailed and US Mailed.
From what I gathered on the Toyota website it is transferable if the car is 2 years or less old and has less than 25,000mi. So transferable but not really.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
If this keeps taking you forever, give the gm and finance manager one last email telling them you are about to open a complaint with Toyota. Dealers hate that because it effects their standing and can effect certain financial benefits they get from Toyota. Had an issue with something on a Honda and as soon as I got the gm involved and said “I wanted to reach out to you before I contact Honda directly” they had a plan of action that day.

Drillerkc74

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 supra black on black
Insurance is like asking a crystal ball the future. Most insurance pays out but sometimes they have to pay big. Its like betting on the horses

OP
OP

Elyktd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RDX
I was able to get this resolved. The minute I asked for the GM then the Finance Director sent me the cancellation form no questions asked. Thanks all for the feedback.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
There is nothing wrong with extended warranties. You just don’t need them at vehicle purchase.

Wait until your factory warranty is about to expire, if you feel there will be benefit to getting one at that point then by all means purchase one.

For now just use the extra cash to get mods and more mods. ?

-RJM

mrd

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
My thoughts are to go have it canceled immediately and get your money back. That’s a ton of money for an extended warranty.

What are the chances you will still own the car after factory warranty expires?

Those finance managers are very pushy guys and will do anything to add extra items to your loan.

-RJM
This. I just got f###ed also and am going to the dealership personally tomorrow to deal with this. The finance manager pretended to have technical issues with his big digital pad for signing and attached a bunch of bs to my bill including 7k for useless warranties and about 2k for "pinstripes" and auto detailing kit that I did not receive. Big headache. Toyota dealerships are trashy as hell. I have only dealt with Chevy and they are weasels but not nearly this fucking level of weasel BS.

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
Interesting as we get 5 Year/ 100k miles warranty here included
Or 10 Years/ 100k miles if serviced every 2 years with Toyota after the first 5 years is up.

I doubt anyone keeps cars this long but decent for whoever does/ second owner.
Sponsored