Does 4 cyl Supra take away or add to the brand?

A_Warm_Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition, 2004 Subaru WRX (Modded)
I have yet to form an opinion on this topic. Curious to see what others may think? Will a 4 cyl Supra dilute the brand and make the car "less special." Will the lower price point "saturate" the roads with a car you currently don't see often on the streets (therefore decreasing it's uniqueness/coolness factor)? Or does more Supras on the road equal more awesomeness?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Will a 4 cyl Supra dilute the brand and make the car "less special." Will the lower price point "saturate" the roads with a car you currently don't see often on the streets (therefore decreasing it's uniqueness/coolness factor)?
No. There's nothing wrong with people buying a smaller engine version. Not everyone can afford the biggest engines. And if they're happy with a 2.0, who are we to say otherwise. People need to get their uppity c*nt sticks removed and let people be happy with their purchases. It's not like the 4 cylinder is out of place, since the Supra race cars were 4 cylinders.
Imagine you saved up for years, bought yourself a nice Cayman, and some douchebag pulls up in a GTS or GT4 and gives you shit for having a 4 cylinder instead of a 6. Fuck all that.
Anyway, my 2c.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A_Warm_Gun

A_Warm_Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You make a great point about different variations of the Caymen. Would have been cool to see a new 4 cylinder Celica instead, though. Either way, it's all good.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
You make a great point about different variations of the Caymen. Would have been cool to see a new 4 cylinder Celica instead, though. Either way, it's all good.
I'd rather see them bring back the MR2. Shove BMW's 2.0 in the back of a light 2 seater, maybe take some hints from Lotus' Elise and Exige, would be awesome.

OP
OP
A_Warm_Gun

A_Warm_Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd rather see them bring back the MR2. Shove BMW's 2.0 in the back of a light 2 seater, maybe take some hints from Lotus' Elise and Exige, would be awesome.
Agreed! Although, in my opinion, the last MR2 was not a good looking car at all, but I am a big fan of its predecessors. Hate to say it, but I thought the Fiero was a cool looking car too.

Attachments

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
I wish Toyota didn't take away as much stuff for the 2.0's to meet the price point, but it's still a good car imo. I probably would have gotten one if not for the markups on the 2.0's and the significant discounts on the 2020's.

I'm not one that subscribes to exclusivity. In my opinion, the more accessible the (already-appealing) car, the more aftermarket support we'll have. The more aftermarket support, the more creative people become to "stand out". I find some of these builds inspiring, and more importantly, accessible.

I'm a mk1 MR2 owner. The community is small in the US, and aftermarket support is essentially dead at this point. Even a decade ago, we were shipping parts and media from Europe, where the mk1 MR2 community is still alive (relatively). At this point, most of us are struggling just to maintain them.

The mk2 MR2 still has an aftermarket, but you can tell people are moving on.

The mk3 MR2 doesn't get much love. I think they're okay, but would probably never buy one myself. Personally not into convertibles.

OP
OP
A_Warm_Gun

A_Warm_Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There's a lot to be said for heritage and appreciation of what's come before. I was sitting in a parking lot the other day in my 2020 supra and this young kid in a very nice condition and stock appearing A70 pulled up next to me. I could tell he was super excited to see a new Supra in the flesh, but I was equally impressed and pumped to see his ride. Very cool thing to have the two diff generations pulled up next to one another. Bad A IMO.

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
There's a lot to be said for heritage and appreciation of what's come before.
Agreed.

The Mustang community gets a bad rep, but they're known to have access to one of the biggest aftermarkets, and they're extremely proud of their heritage. Although Mustang's are a common sight, that didn't take away from their coolness factor. Overall, they're good cars, regardless of what we think about some of their owners. Mustang's are extremely accessible and used in pretty much every type of non-professional/amateur auto racing.

OP
OP
A_Warm_Gun

A_Warm_Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree with you regarding your thoughts on the Mustang.

I don't know. IMO I love seeing Supras, MR2s, 3000GTs, Skylines, 300ZX's, NSX's and RX7's on the road. I suppose the fact they are so much less common to see than stangs/camaros etc just increases the coolness factor for me (although the downside is less aftermarket support as you alluded to). I saw an R32 and an R33 Skyline randomly driving through my neighborhood (in Kansas!) the last couple weeks or so. Love to see it.

Last edited:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
The 2.0L should have been released in a MT, but that is just me. Sure it's lighter weight, but running the same gear ratio's with watered down wheels/brakes, etc as the 3.0L I6 is basically saying we did not have enough budget to make the 2.0L entirely as we wanted. Nothing against the buyer, more against Toyota for wasting limited funds just to meet a certain price point.. and that price point isn't even that cheap coming in $40k+.. and MPG isn't all that better either than the 3.0L so what is the point of this car..?!! again, just me puzzled.. never really cared either. Never mind.

yfeghhi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV
Vehicle Showcase
Supposedly they were talking about bringing the MR2 back as an all electric version but haven't heard anything on it in a while
Sponsored