dongar tech USB splitter from rain sensor install

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
The team at Dongar sent me 2 adapters to try out and see if the power stops after the BCM shuts down. I'll report back in a week or two after I've had a chance to get to it.
Dont leave us hanging man lol
Sponsored

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
👀

PureDrifter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium MT, GX470, LS400, MR-S
Results! (but not what you probably want to hear :( )

Dongar's Porsche Keyway 1 adapter works great, but doesn't turn off (acts like constant power). I timed it from when the car was locked, with the keys in and out of the car, cold dash, keys far away from the car, etc... but it's still powering the USB plug for more than 8-10 minutes each time.

I suspect there are minor but significant changes in the wiring or BCM on different years/trims, but can't confirm.

Dongar had sent me their Porsche Keyway 2 as well but it uses a mirrored connector that did not look like it would fit and I ran out of time to see if it would. May give it another shot in a couple weeks, will update if I do.

Testing was done on my 2023 3.0 Premium (MT).

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Results! (but not what you probably want to hear :( )

Dongar's Porsche Keyway 1 adapter works great, but doesn't turn off (acts like constant power). I timed it from when the car was locked, with the keys in and out of the car, cold dash, keys far away from the car, etc... but it's still powering the USB plug for more than 8-10 minutes each time.

I suspect there are minor but significant changes in the wiring or BCM on different years/trims, but can't confirm.

Dongar had sent me their Porsche Keyway 2 as well but it uses a mirrored connector that did not look like it would fit and I ran out of time to see if it would. May give it another shot in a couple weeks, will update if I do.

Testing was done on my 2023 3.0 Premium (MT).
Well that stinks. Thanks for testing it out. Wonder what the difference between the two is since it looks like they use the same harness plug.

PureDrifter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It does look like the rain sensor part number changes depending on if the car has a HUD or not, may possibly be a wiring difference?

OP that posted had a HUD too, judging from pictures.

gone for SIV for a few days, will investigate more when I get back.

PureDrifter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Final update for now:

Looks to be a wiring difference in the RLS for HUD/Non-HUD cars, but I can't confirm without access to BMW EWD from Ista. Either way, for HUD-equipped cars looks like the 3 lines going into the RLS are constant +12v, LIN (for CAN), and Ground, so no-go on using the RLS plug for powering a dashcam :(.

I'm probably going to use a universal 2 prong adapter to microusb setup with an adapter, or if I can, find a USB-C variant. Nobody seems to be making mirrortaps for the actual rear view mirror plug, sadly.

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Final update for now:

Looks to be a wiring difference in the RLS for HUD/Non-HUD cars, but I can't confirm without access to BMW EWD from Ista. Either way, for HUD-equipped cars looks like the 3 lines going into the RLS are constant +12v, LIN (for CAN), and Ground, so no-go on using the RLS plug for powering a dashcam :(.

I'm probably going to use a universal 2 prong adapter to microusb setup with an adapter, or if I can, find a USB-C variant. Nobody seems to be making mirrortaps for the actual rear view mirror plug, sadly.
Thanks for the update. Seems like the prong taps folks use for radar detectors are the style to go with then.

Samsamsam

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra
Hi There I know its been while but just ordered this adapter (3 pin keyway 1) and installed with Garmin 56 dash cam . Everything works fine so far but Idk if its constant power or no. I have parking mode enabled for garmin 56 but it doesn't show that when I left the vehicle. Any input?

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
Hi There I know its been while but just ordered this adapter (3 pin keyway 1) and installed with Garmin 56 dash cam . Everything works fine so far but Idk if its constant power or no. I have parking mode enabled for garmin 56 but it doesn't show that when I left the vehicle. Any input?
Mine cuts off a few minutes after I lock the doors.

PureDrifter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mine cuts off a few minutes after I lock the doors.
what year/spec do you have and what adapter did you use?

It's been suspected it's the Premiums w/HUD that are constant power for the rain sensor.