Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
Got mine today. Hopefully installing this weekend, if I ain't sick.
I need to host the install guide somewhere but it's done
Sponsored

Reactions: kaj
OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
😬 That's a lot of work for a button that only works when the car is already unlocked.
not really, unless you need the autozone guys to put your wipers on for you.

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
😬 That's a lot of work for a button that only works when the car is already unlocked.
I'm just talking trash man. Yeah it's a slower install but the work involved isn't actually bad. I tried to overdo it on the guide for people who have less experience.

1. unhook battery and remove rear bumper cover. Drill hole for button, run wire, install button

2. Remove door card, remove speaker panel, route wire through door harness, attach to switch wire

3. hook up battery, test. Reinstall.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I'm just talking trash man. Yeah it's a slower install but the work involved isn't actually bad. I tried to overdo it on the guide for people who have less experience.
Yeah, I get it.. but like I said, that's still a lot of work for a button that only works when the car is already unlocked.

to be honest, I don't care what the guy in the video did, problems he ran into, etc.

Im taking a unique solution that doesn't wire the same way at that at all and I'll take it even further.
Not to knock the effort but while your solution may be unique, it is no further a solution than the one presented in the video which was - in his words - a fail. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, I get it.. but like I said, that's still a lot of work for a button that only works when the car is already unlocked.

Not to knock the effort but while your solution may be unique, it is no further a solution than the one presented in the video which was - in his words - a fail. 🤷‍♂️
Mine is secure, his wasn't. I know how to extend the keyless entry. He didn't. What's your point?

I looked at your other posts and they all just seem to be complaining or trolling. So, as I said to the other guy, I won't make you buy one, nor shame you for not. But there are other posts to spend your time on. ❤

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Mine is secure, his wasn't. I know how to extend the keyless entry. He didn't. What's your point?

I looked at your other posts and they all just seem to be complaining or trolling. So, as I said to the other guy, I won't make you buy one, nor shame you for not. But there are other posts to spend your time on. ❤
😂 Somewhat passive aggressive, but ok. Have fun.

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
A question, will this work on EU spec cars? I know there are slight differences in the cable loom, and we don't have the emergency wire pull in the trunk for instance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A question, will this work on EU spec cars? I know there are slight differences in the cable loom, and we don't have the emergency wire pull in the trunk for instance.
i don't see why it shouldn't, as long as the little button in the door is there like US spec cars.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
My DD has a release button just like this. It only works when the car is unlocked. I don't understand what your issue is. Why would you want an outside hatch release button that works when the car is locked? By your logic, the door handles are useless because they also only work when the car is already unlocked. What am I missing here? Or do you just want everyone to have 24/7 access to your hatch?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
My DD has a release button just like this. It only works when the car is unlocked. I don't understand what your issue is. Why would you want an outside hatch release button that works when the car is locked? By your logic, the door handles are useless because they also only work when the car is already unlocked. What am I missing here? Or do you just want everyone to have 24/7 access to your hatch?
Not quite. What I envisaged was a button that works and only works when a key is within the vicinity, ala the same way I presume the doors to work. My current car also works as you describe, but it doesn't have a boot/trunk release button on the fob. Having to unlock the car using the fob before allowing the exterior button to function reduces the use case drastically in my opinion because that button already exists.. on the key fob. 🤷‍♂️

Having said this, I do see your point. 🤔

sirupytugboat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Civic
How modern keyless entry systems work: you put your hand on the door handle (or slightly pull the door handle, in some cars), the car senses the presence of the keyfob nearby, then automatically unlocks the car, and you can then pull the door handle all the way and open the door.

In many cars this is how the trunk release button works too: you press the trunk release button, the car senses the keyfob nearby, unlocks the trunk, and then opens the trunk, all with one press.

The days of having to pull out your keyfob and press the unlock button before using the door handles or trunk releases are considered a thing of the past. Now it's all done automatically by the car itself.

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How modern keyless entry systems work: you put your hand on the door handle (or slightly pull the door handle, in some cars), the car senses the presence of the keyfob nearby, then automatically unlocks the car, and you can then pull the door handle all the way and open the door.

In many cars this is how the trunk release button works too: you press the trunk release button, the car senses the keyfob nearby, unlocks the trunk, and then opens the trunk, all with one press.

The days of having to pull out your keyfob and press the unlock button before using the door handles or trunk releases are considered a thing of the past. Now it's all done automatically by the car itself.
if you read my posts a bit up, you'll see this part addressed.

it's being worked on. Still requires work because Toyota/bmw didn't design the car to work like that. So I'm fixing it.

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
You'd be surprised how useful it is. I added a trunk button on my own last year and it is wired the same way Jordan Best did his. My car is typically unlocked when in the garage and I'm at home. Being able to run to the car and pop the trunk open is very convenient. Or when I'm washing the car and I need to open the trunk to clean the jams, also convenient. These are situations where I do not have the key fob on me.

If I'm approaching my locked car, it is typically in a public place in which case I will have my key fob on me anyways so just press the trunk button on the fob.

It can be a lot of work routing the wires from the door panel to the rear bumper since it requires removal of most of the interior panels on the driver side. But I believe a trunk button that functions in this manner is still worth it.
Sponsored