Engine oil service

liarskorner

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 Prius, 2014 Tundra.
Have had my Supra LE for 11 months has 755 miles on it . The other day I took it for a ride and the service engine oil light came on. Does that mean it is time for an oil change?
Sponsored

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Sounds like it, i believe the car tracks if it has been a year.
With your foot off the gas and the car off press the start button 3x quickly. This will put the car into diagnostic mode. Then hold down the odometer button on the lower left of the instrument cluster for a few seconds and the car will pop up a message regarding the oil, (and other services if you cycle through using the odometer button). The oil reset screen does it say a reset is possible or impossible? The car will not let you reset the oil service until the correct time has passed. If it says it is possible, then i do believe it is engine oil change time for sure.

OP
OP
liarskorner

liarskorner

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Now I have to figure out if my dealer is capable of doing an oil service

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Well, you can reset the oil service light yourself and if you can get under the car it really is not difficult to do. 6.9 quarts of oil and the filter on the top left of the engine. The filter kit (oem is like $9) comes with a new rubber gasket for the filter and a crush washer for the drain plug. There are some writeups on here on how to do the change with pictures and whatnot.

OP
OP
liarskorner

liarskorner

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well had my Supra serviced for the oil service today. I still get the message that I need to have the oil serviced. It wonā€™t let me reset it is says impossible.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Wont be able to until 12 month mark.......
also run the oil level check

OP
OP
liarskorner

liarskorner

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks Natek for your help. I have been going crazy.

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
@liarskorner Were you able to reset the oil service light?

I was planning on changing mine at 1200 miles after the break in period, but it is not due until July and is showing the ā€œoil change impossibleā€ message. Just want to see if it did work for you as soon as you hit the 12 month mark.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
@liarskorner Were you able to reset the oil service light?

I was planning on changing mine at 1200 miles after the break in period, but it is not due until July and is showing the ā€œoil change impossibleā€ message. Just want to see if it did work for you as soon as you hit the 12 month mark.
same issue here

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Sounds like it, i believe the car tracks if it has been a year.
With your foot off the gas and the car off press the start button 3x quickly. This will put the car into diagnostic mode. Then hold down the odometer button on the lower left of the instrument cluster for a few seconds and the car will pop up a message regarding the oil, (and other services if you cycle through using the odometer button). The oil reset screen does it say a reset is possible or impossible? The car will not let you reset the oil service until the correct time has passed. If it says it is possible, then i do believe it is engine oil change time for sure.
my correct time has passed and it still says ā€œimpossibleā€

OP
OP
liarskorner

liarskorner

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
my correct time has passed and it still says ā€œimpossibleā€
You have to take to the dealer. They hook a lap top to the car and reset it. That is what I had to do.

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I did some Googling and found information that older BMWs with CBS require a minimum 20% of the total service mileage to have passed before allowing reset via the combination meter (trip button), although Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s true for the Supra/modern CBS. Iā€™m surprised the time passing doesnā€™t override that though.

@Axix23 how many miles do you have o your car?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I did some Googling and found information that older BMWs with CBS require a minimum 20% of the total service mileage to have passed before allowing reset via the combination meter (trip button), although Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s true for the Supra/modern CBS. Iā€™m surprised the time passing doesnā€™t override that though.

@Axix23 how many miles do you have o your car?
600 miles

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
With a tuned car, I'd be wary any time the dealer has to hook up a laptop to clear something,
Sponsored