Exhaust flap not closing

Dancam73

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra Pro 3.0
Hi all, this may sound like a stupid ask but can anyone explain the correct operation of the exhaust flap, when it should open and close etc?

Mine is always open in both modes, Sport and Comfort. I'm pretty sure it used to open and close when I selected Sports and Comfort but I've now noticed it never closes.

Don't get me wrong id prefer it to stay open, but its going in for a back box mod next week and would like to make sure its working correctly before I take it in.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Just for clarification, it hasn't been subject to any bimmercode mods or other ecu upgrades , so far its just stock

Cheers
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
You are correct, closed when in Normal, open when in Sport. That being said, if you put the car in Sport right after a cold start the valve wonā€™t open until after a few minutes. Other than that, exactly how you stated. And as to not confuse you anymore, Comfort is called Normal on our car. Although I wish it was Comfort instead. Catch myself saying it that way too.

OP
OP
Dancam73

Dancam73

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra Pro 3.0
Great, thanks for confirming. Looks like mine has an issue somewhere then.

xkenx1995

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Hi all, this may sound like a stupid ask but can anyone explain the correct operation of the exhaust flap, when it should open and close etc?

Mine is always open in both modes, Sport and Comfort. I'm pretty sure it used to open and close when I selected Sports and Comfort but I've now noticed it never closes.

Don't get me wrong id prefer it to stay open, but its going in for a back box mod next week and would like to make sure its working correctly before I take it in.

Just for clarification, it hasn't been subject to any bimmercode mods or other ecu upgrades , so far its just stock

Cheers
There is a fuse that controls the flap. Check that to see if it is blown. It is in the trunk in the little compartment on the right side. Here is the layout and I boxed it in red.
1642878793180.png

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46

Cheers
I noticed the exhaust flap is open on my car while in comfort/normal mode as well. I realized this after clicking on the open button via bimmerlink, and noticed it didnā€™t change the exhaust sound levels while in idle. However, on cold starts in normal mode, there is a noticeable click noise (as the flap switches from closed to open) after a few seconds of the engine warming up. Just as the rpms settle.

i donā€™t know if the flap shuts at any point as we drive in normal mode. but I did give up using the exhaust control on bimmerlink.

mine is The 2020 Japan spec model which seems to have the same setup as the Aussie spec. I Think it should be similar to the Uk spec (Cos of EU emissions)

fheres a YouTube video by an Aussie owner on the whole exhaust flap behaviour for AU vs US spec.
Valve exos system on Aussie spec Supra

Last edited:

LoveSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90 - 2019
My exhaust flap stopped working after I got a muffler delete. Transfered the actuator to my new exhaust setup, but the flap stays open.

I am guessing it is the pin for the actuator which may not be installed correctly, but I don't mind the flaps always open so I never bothered to look into it.

OP
OP
Dancam73

Dancam73

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra Pro 3.0
I noticed the exhaust flap is open on my car while in comfort/normal mode as well. I realized this after clicking on the open button via bimmerlink, and noticed it didnā€™t change the exhaust sound levels while in idle. However, on cold starts in normal mode, there is a noticeable click noise (as the flap switches from closed to open) after a few seconds of the engine warming up. Just as the rpms settle.

i donā€™t know if the flap shuts at any point as we drive in normal mode. but I did give up using the exhaust control on bimmerlink.

mine is The 2020 Japan spec model which seems to have the same setup as the Aussie spec. I Think it should be similar to the Uk spec (Cos of EU emissions)

fheres a YouTube video by an Aussie owner on the whole exhaust flap behaviour for AU vs US spec.
Valve exos system on Aussie spec Supra

Hi,

I checked my fuses as suggested above, all good.

I've now checked and mine is doing exactly what you described here.

Before starting the car I checked flap and its Open

Then start the car and the flap immediately Closes

After about 30 secs as the engine revs stabilise, you hear a click and the flap Opens.

It stays Open no matter what option I select , Normal or Sport.

Mine is a 2020 UK spec car.

Guessing this is normal then????

Cheers

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi,

I checked my fuses as suggested above, all good.

I've now checked and mine is doing exactly what you described here.

Before starting the car I checked flap and its Open

Then start the car and the flap immediately Closes

After about 30 secs as the engine revs stabilise, you hear a click and the flap Opens.

It stays Open no matter what option I select , Normal or Sport.

Mine is a 2020 UK spec car.

Guessing this is normal then????

Cheers
Yup, normal for our spec. Canā€™t compare to the US spec which is on different emissions standards. Based on the video, looks like their comfort mode exhaust setup is louder than ours, so the valve is configured to stay closed.

I think those who have the non-US spec with OPF (2021 onwards?), the exhaust volume level is even softer. If the exhaust valve was kept shut, it might sound like a Camry;)

Last edited:

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
Yeah the flap is always open over here for EU spec at least.
It does close while driving sometimes if in normal mode and when the engine is off/ cold start.
If idle with engine running the flap will be open regardless of mode select

If you can see the flap closed when car is off and the flap open when the car is on your all good.

I had the backbox mod done and have also removed F203 fuse as posted above to keep the flap open. No issues. You could also just keep the cable unplugged to the valve. Doesn't make a huge difference to our UK cars as the flap is open most of the time anyway.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Damn, sorry OP. My mistake. I was unaware there was a difference between regions with the valve. Color me jealous with having the valve open during Normal mode.

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
Damn, sorry OP. My mistake. I was unaware there was a difference between regions with the valve. Color me jealous with having the valve open during Normal mode.
Honestly BMW's here in the UK/EU work identically to the US cars in terms of valve closing in normal and open in sport. Its just the Supra that is special over here that keeps its valve open regardless?
Makes sense to be quiet in normal and loud in sport right? I guess our spec is so quiet they decided to keep the valve open lol!

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you can see the flap closed when car is off and the flap open when the car is on your all good.

I had the backbox mod done and have also removed F203 fuse as posted above to keep the flap open. No issues. You could also just keep the cable unplugged to the valve. Doesn't make a huge difference to our UK cars as the flap is open most of the time anyway.
my supra has the exos Valve open when the car is not started.

i used to have the BimmerLink exos override control set to ā€œOpenā€ till I realized the comfort mode leaves it open sometimes anyway. Then I figured the system knows when to open it for more sound, and when itā€™s more beneficial to close. Prob smarter than me anyway.

i read somewhere that there are 3 different exhaust specs: 1)US, 2)ME/Asia pac, 3)EUR. Supposedly, US is loudest, and EUR the softest.

Reactions: Dan

antmazz

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Toyota Supra
I was thinking the same thing.

Backbox mod makes a huge difference to our cars, so glad I got that done.
Where did you get yours done? I'm in Edinburgh and looking to get it done but don't want to trek too far for it!