Exhaust valve control

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
Just had a whifbitz exhaust fitted and car sounds so much better when accelerating, it's how it should of sounded from the factory. My question is though now the car has a sportier back box is there a way to control the exhaust valve to be closed in normal and open in sports mode or open back up past a certain amount of rpm. I know the American a90 does this as their exhuast is louder stock so is it something that can be tuned in or use a module?

Thanks for any advice
Sponsored

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
Have you asked whifbitz if this is possible?

As you mentioned the EU cars are much quieter so the valve remains open most of the time unlike normal BMW's/ US Supra's where it will only open when revving/ sport mode.

As far as i'm aware I don't think you can code it like how the US car's function. maybe a third party valve controller might be an option?

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
If you're unlocked you can use a custom tune (any platform) or any map on BootMod3 to control the exhaust flap function. I use an OTS BootMod3 map and can adjust in the map settings.

Alternatively, you can control it manually with your phone from the Bimmerlink app

OP
OP
ChrisA91

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
If you're unlocked you can use a custom tune (any platform) or any map on BootMod3 to control the exhaust flap function. I use an OTS BootMod3 map and can adjust in the map settings.

Alternatively, you can control it manually with your phone from the Bimmerlink app
Oh brill that's good to know. Thank you

OP
OP
ChrisA91

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
šŸ˜… I just left the valve open by pulling the fuse on the stock system when in sport mode
I've found since changing the exhaust is that ours is always open position other then first Start up and possibly motorway cruising speed

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Hi Chris.
Just noticed youā€™re in Brighton. Iā€™m in Peacehaven. So local.

I have the Whifzbitz exhaust as well and been working with Paul to get this working how I want it.
Heā€™s almost got it perfect now. Working exactly as you describe. The only thing Iā€™m not happy with it opens in normal for first 30 seconds. Once he sorts that the flap makes a huge difference when you want a bit more quite. That is on Ecutek though.

OP
OP
ChrisA91

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
Hi Chris.
Just noticed youā€™re in Brighton. Iā€™m in Peacehaven. So local.

I have the Whifzbitz exhaust as well and been working with Paul to get this working how I want it.
Heā€™s almost got it perfect now. Working exactly as you describe. The only thing Iā€™m not happy with it opens in normal for first 30 seconds. Once he sorts that the flap makes a huge difference when you want a bit more quite. That is on Ecutek though.
Oh brilliant, good to see another owner down this way. That's great you've been working with Paul on the valve, the exhaust sounds amazing but I think the flap closed in normal would help with the bit of deep resonating when pulling away and those early morning starts lol. Have you gone decatted aswell as you have a remap?

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
I do have a few mods including downpipe and tune. Pure 800 turbo. Port injection. Flex fuel and loads more. Mixed feeling about the decat. They do smell a bit. Depends if that bothers you. SRD are good for someone close to look after you with mods.

Exhaust flap makes way more of a difference than you would think. Most of the time just cruising around I have it closed and prefer that volume.
If you ever want to meet up and hear it you would be welcome to.

OP
OP
ChrisA91

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
I do have a few mods including downpipe and tune. Pure 800 turbo. Port injection. Flex fuel and loads more. Mixed feeling about the decat. They do smell a bit. Depends if that bothers you. SRD are good for someone close to look after you with mods.

Exhaust flap makes way more of a difference than you would think. Most of the time just cruising around I have it closed and prefer that volume.
If you ever want to meet up and hear it you would be welcome to.
Oh wow you have some great mods, yes I emailed srd about doing my lowing springs and alignment but been a nightmare with work to drop to car off to them. Going to ask them to check my ecu aswell as I heard the early 21 plates could have a tunable ecu unless that's just an American thing. That would be great to check your car out.

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
It is a bit of mission getting to them to leave the car. Once I got the train to burgess hill and walked to them when I was collecting it.

Regarding the ECU date. One option check the build date sticker in the door. See how close it is to June 2020 Or if confident enough to find the guide to check the ECU sticker.
You have options either way but itā€™s a lot easier with an tuneable ecu.

Message me anytime. Happy to meet up.
Never see any Supras on the road normally.

OP
OP
ChrisA91

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
It is a bit of mission getting to them to leave the car. Once I got the train to burgess hill and walked to them when I was collecting it.

Regarding the ECU date. One option check the build date sticker in the door. See how close it is to June 2020 Or if confident enough to find the guide to check the ECU sticker.
You have options either way but itā€™s a lot easier with an tuneable ecu.

Message me anytime. Happy to meet up.
Never see any Supras on the road normally.
I'll have a look tonight when I get home, I do prefer a tune over piggyback. That's great thank you.

OP
OP
ChrisA91

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
20221005_185541.jpg

I should have a tunable ecu with that date?