Exhausts, opf's, mice and MOT's.

cowboyjon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8
I have a stock 21' and it's as quiet as a mouse.

I don't want to mess with the opf or downpipe as I can't be arsed with hassles come MOT time each year.

With that being the case, am I stuck with the stock set-up?

I understand you can buy opf-back stuff from milltek but is there any point at all?

Also, everyone who has gone the full system route and their cars sound amazing - I salute thee but what the hell are you gonna do at MOT time?
Sponsored

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
Whifbitz do a few options, might be worth asking on the wider forum for videos & opinions.
I had an Akrapovic silencer that made very little difference with OPF and CATs in place.

As for the MOT thing... its each to their own. Replacing the OPF/Downpipe if needed isn't that arduous.

:)

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Shouldn't need to replace the downpipe as long as you have 200 cell cats, decat yes.

When I asked my MOT tester, I understand the key for the OPF delete is ensuring you don't have any associated warning lights on the dash.

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I have the Remus race axle back in the rear. Made a big difference soundwise, even with OPF and stock cat. Not sure if its approved in your country though. It's pretty pricey too.

Im now running it with opf delete and 200 cell DP now and its loud af.
With stock DP and OPF in place it's more daily friendly but still sounds way more than stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP

cowboyjon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8
Shouldn't need to replace the downpipe as long as you have 200 cell cats, decat yes.

When I asked my MOT tester, I understand the key for the OPF delete is ensuring you don't have any associated warning lights on the dash.
He said that?

I know a CEL is a fail straight away but I can't see how these cars would pass the emissions tests after you remove the opf and/or cat.

Sunstorm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Yaris, A90 Edition Supra
I have the milltek opf back and it makes a nice sound and retains the valve so it's subdued in comfort mode.

I got it after hearing the first prototype of it at Goodwood in person, the video is still on YouTube

I was told my my local garage that removing the OPF wouldn't fail the MOT, but I had issues with my old STI passing tests, so I only went OPF back for my Supra.

OP
OP

cowboyjon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8
I have the milltek opf back and it makes a nice sound and retains the valve so it's subdued in comfort mode.

I got it after hearing the first prototype of it at Goodwood in person, the video is still on YouTube

I was told my my local garage that removing the OPF wouldn't fail the MOT, but I had issues with my old STI passing tests, so I only went OPF back for my Supra.

Do you have any videos you could share of yours?

Is it a straight bolt-on or did you need to chop into the stock system?

Sunstorm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Yaris, A90 Edition Supra
I don't have any videos of my own unfortunately.

The place that fitted it for me, said they had a single cut to the existing exhaust and then slip the new one on.
I've still got the one that came off in storage, so if I ever need to go back it's an easy swap for them to make.

OP
OP

cowboyjon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8
I've decided to head down the custom route.

Contacted a custom exhaust maker with a great reputation and he gave me two options (that most folk will already know about) if I want to keep the opf - modify the internals of the stock back box and retain the anti-drone chamber or delete the back box completely and reuse the stock tips.

I was blown away with the price difference between these options and pretty much everything else available on the market.

Cars booked in the shop in two weeks, if anyone is interested to see how much of a difference this typical mod makes.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
I've decided to head down the custom route.

Contacted a custom exhaust maker with a great reputation and he gave me two options (that most folk will already know about) if I want to keep the opf - modify the internals of the stock back box and retain the anti-drone chamber or delete the back box completely and reuse the stock tips.

I was blown away with the price difference between these options and pretty much everything else available on the market.

Cars booked in the shop in two weeks, if anyone is interested to see how much of a difference this typical mod makes.
Just in @Malcolm Feth's defence, the solution you are talking about having done is what the thread he linked you to in the first place is about unless ive misread what you intend to do.

My car has had it done and while its not an ASBO monster it makes a great noise with the windows down. Id say one of the issues with the Supra is the fantastic sound deadening, you make the exhaust louder and it doesn't always seem to be making a difference but stand out side and its pretty aggressive. People on the street defiantly notice and probably want to shake a fist haha 😅
Sponsored