Extended warranty: did you get one?

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
You think i can get it down to 2000? so its altogether 2400?
$2000 is a reasonable number. If you haven’t purchased the car yet, I think you may be able to do a bit better.

I got my 100k with platinum plus (tires, wheels, etc etc) for roughly $1050 once accounting games were played with trade in so they could show the correct profit on it. This was with an MSRP purchase of a LE.

Your dealer will need to be motivated to sell and you will have to know how to motivate them as I have not seen a lower price posted for the entire package. I do sales for a living, so I was comfortable playing games to get there.
Sponsored

You Drive

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Red LE, C8 Corvette Z51 Torch Red, M3C
You think i can get it down to 2000? so its altogether 2400?
Let them know 2400 is higher then you want to spend. Have them give you another quote on the same package. There is room there to negotiate

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Let them know 2400 is higher then you want to spend. Have them give you another quote on the same package. There is room there to negotiate
I bought mine 2 weeks ago and only got the extended warranty. They told me cost price was 928 for the 6 year 75k so they charged by $1 over their cost. Seemed ok to me so i just bought it. They did tell me that if i bundled it with my loan then they were going to charge me tax on it. Just payed on my credit card.

King OS

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Do you know if its taxed? They told me yes, but i dont know if thats actually true or not

You Drive

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Red LE, C8 Corvette Z51 Torch Red, M3C
Do you know if its taxed? They told me yes, but i dont know if thats actually true or not
Generally, the customer pays Sales Tax on the purchase price of the warranty or service contract. When the customer takes the item to a repair shop, normally the customer is not billed. Ask the dealer if you pay in full will they tax it

huntjunky

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Tacoma, Dodge Ram
I am thinking the same thing but am hoping that I can barter for the warranty by allowing the dealer to keep my car in the showroom for a few weeks to generate some business.
That's a thought but I doubt they need marketing help.

huntjunky

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Tacoma, Dodge Ram
Well, this all sounds very familiar. I ended up with the 7 yr/75k for $1800...this was after turning down and changing plans 3 times...if you want the warranty, shop, negotiate and negotiate some more. This process is where "used care salesman" comes into play.

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
My dealer is claiming they will fully refund the warranty if service is denied for any reason, including aftermarket mods. They are offering it at just over $2k. Still planning on rejecting it and seeing if they counter, but thought it was interesting offer. I’ve already brought the car home, which I hope also adds to my negotiation — they know I won’t go back unless the deal is really good.

I think I’ll be comfortable with or without it, so at this point it is just a nice-to-have on my end.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
My dealer is claiming they will fully refund the warranty if service is denied for any reason, including aftermarket mods. They are offering it at just over $2k. Still planning on rejecting it and seeing if they counter, but thought it was interesting offer. I’ve already brought the car home, which I hope also adds to my negotiation — they know I won’t go back unless the deal is really good.

I think I’ll be comfortable with or without it, so at this point it is just a nice-to-have on my end.

I paid 1800 for 7yr 75/k It's a pretty good deal considering that BMW will charge about 3 times this for the Z4,

The finance guy was saying that Toyota will probably figure out they aren't charging enough, and jack the price up in January.

acadapter

First Name
A.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla Model X
I paid 1800 for 7yr 75/k It's a pretty good deal considering that BMW will charge about 3 times this for the Z4,

The finance guy was saying that Toyota will probably figure out they aren't charging enough, and jack the price up in January.
The rate for 7/75k should be ~$885. If you are within 30 days, you should also be able to get the same.

Mark5825

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2017 Mustang
Is this the same warranty everyone is talking about? Am I misunderstanding or is it saying all of the RED text items are NOT covered unless you buy it? If that's true it seems like the standard warranty barely covers anything. My dealer offered a warranty at over $6k so I'm trying to make sure I'm not confusing different plans. They had talked about door dings and wheels scratches from what I rememmber.

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
Is this the same warranty everyone is talking about? Am I misunderstanding or is it saying all of the RED text items are NOT covered unless you buy it? If that's true it seems like the standard warranty barely covers anything. My dealer offered a warranty at over $6k so I'm trying to make sure I'm not confusing different plans. They had talked about door dings and wheels scratches from what I rememmber.

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf
I was offered two warrantys. One was listed about 880 for 7 years for tires, rims, scratches paintless dent repair, and replacement keys. I paid 600 for it. The other one was a extend warranty to for 7years 75000, and I ended up paying 1800 for it. I'm not sure what the 885 one is. I have never seen on that cheap to do 7 years for the rest of the car: radio, nav, other mechanicals, and extend the power train warranty. 6k sounds very high even for a BMW. I don't have the info with me otherwise I could look at the details for mine. I believe the one I bought had the same coverage as yours. How many years and what was the mileage they offered to cover?

Mark5825

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2017 Mustang
I was offered two warrantys. One was listed about 880 for 7 years for tires, rims, scratches paintless dent repair, and replacement keys. I paid 600 for it. The other one was a extend warranty to for 7years 75000, and I ended up paying 1800 for it. I'm not sure what the 885 one is. I have never seen on that cheap to do 7 years for the rest of the car: radio, nav, other mechanicals, and extend the power train warranty. 6k sounds very high even for a BMW. I don't have the info with me otherwise I could look at the details for mine. I believe the one I bought had the same coverage as yours. How many years and what was the mileage they offered to cover?
6 Year/100k for $6,700 for platinum. Don't even think it covers wheels/dent repair. I had no idea how much these things cost at the time so I didn't know if that was good or bad, obviously sounds overpriced now.

Debating getting the platinum at the cheaper prices discussed here but I'll be tuning/basic modding. Ford still covered everything when I did that to my last car but I'm not sure how Toyota/BMW feels about that kind of stuff. I know the law says directly related but that doesn't stop a dealer from saying no and making you prove it.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
6 Year/100k for $6,700 for platinum. Don't even think it covers wheels/dent repair. I had no idea how much these things cost at the time so I didn't know if that was good or bad, obviously sounds overpriced now.

Debating getting the platinum at the cheaper prices discussed here but I'll be tuning/basic modding. Ford still covered everything when I did that to my last car but I'm not sure how Toyota/BMW feels about that kind of stuff. I know the law says directly related but that doesn't stop a dealer from saying no and making you prove it.
That is stupid high. Anything over $2,000 isn’t the best deal from what people are getting on average. Mine was significantly less than that but I had fairly good leverage with a desirable trade in and buying a sports car in truck country.

Don’t expect Toyota to honor the engine warranty if you get a tune if it is anything major.

acadapter

First Name
A.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla Model X

You are mixing two things however the price for 7/75 is still $885.

I have the door ding/key/wheel/tire replacement coverage. It was $765. I also have the 7/75 Platinum TFS Vehicle warranty. It was list price at ~$1600. I paid ~$885. I expect dealer markups to be unreasonable but $6500 should result in someone being punched in the face.
Sponsored