First day and it snows!

Rotto

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supercharged 5.0 F-150, 1967 VW Westfalia
I picked up my Supra last night, and woke up to snow this morning. I figured I would take it around the block to see just how bad the summer tires and rear wheel drive would be. Granted, it was wet snow, and slushy not ice, but the car did great! I ended up going for a 20 mile loop. I’m having a really hard time deciding on a winter set up, with not much help from the dealership, but it’s good to know I can still get places in light snow if I need to. While I felt very comfortable on back roads, I don’t think I would go on the highway with these tires. When the road was messy and untreated, I had to be my own antilock brakes, usually having to come gently on and off the breaks 3 times to get a good stop. Otherwise, the car wanted to get sideways. I’d say plan on triple the braking distance, and this is why I would stay off highways.
here’s a short clip from a relatively clean but still slick section.
Sponsored

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Okay in a pinch but should get Winter tires.
This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it
is recommended that suitable winter tires be fitted below this temperature

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I picked up my Supra last night, and woke up to snow this morning. I figured I would take it around the block to see just how bad the summer tires and rear wheel drive would be. Granted, it was wet snow, and slushy not ice, but the car did great! I ended up going for a 20 mile loop. I’m having a really hard time deciding on a winter set up, with not much help from the dealership, but it’s good to know I can still get places in light snow if I need to. While I felt very comfortable on back roads, I don’t think I would go on the highway with these tires. When the road was messy and untreated, I had to be my own antilock brakes, usually having to come gently on and off the breaks 3 times to get a good stop. Otherwise, the car wanted to get sideways. I’d say plan on triple the braking distance, and this is why I would stay off highways.
here’s a short clip from a relatively clean but still slick section.
Don't be an idiot. They're called SUMMER tires for a reason. It's one thing if you crash, but usually it involves hitting (and possibly killing) innocent bystanders. Keep it parked until you have proper tires on it.

OP
OP

Rotto

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supercharged 5.0 F-150, 1967 VW Westfalia
I’m not disagreeing with you guys, or saying you should do this often. I’ve run dedicated winter tires on all my cars. im Pretty excited to see what she’ll do with the right tires. I think the balance will be pretty good. I posted the video because I couldn't find much info on running this car in the snow when I bought it. Everything is people doing donuts, or driving on a closed course. I’m sorry if this upset some of you, at no point did the car lose control or create a dangerous situation. I’m not looking to argue that you should drive in snow on summer tires., we all know you shouldn’t. Sometimes shit happens, and if it Snows a month early where you live, and you don’t have your winter tires on yet, you’ll be fine.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
I’m not disagreeing with you guys, or saying you should do this often. I’ve run dedicated winter tires on all my cars. im Pretty excited to see what she’ll do with the right tires. I think the balance will be pretty good. I posted the video because I couldn't find much info on running this car in the snow when I bought it. Everything is people doing donuts, or driving on a closed course. I’m sorry if this upset some of you, at no point did the car lose control or create a dangerous situation. I’m not looking to argue that you should drive in snow on summer tires., we all know you shouldn’t. Sometimes shit happens, and if it Snows a month early where you live, and you don’t have your winter tires on yet, you’ll be fine.
Not trying to ballbust at all, I couldn't believe how much snow we got today. Also from our very own forums

Ale81

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350
Thanks for posting your experience. I normally put my winter setup on at Thanksgiving. Where I live the temps don't normally drop enough or does it snow before then. It's good to know that the car is at least manageable if we got a little snow and I had to make it home from work before i can get my setup changed.
My bigger concern is ground clearance but if the snow gets too deep I have access to my wife's RX350.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I run dedicated car for winter.. a 2019 WRX Limited.

It's very risky to drive even on all season tires in the snow with RWD. I would not use anything less than Blizzaks (in narrow widths) for snow driving if I was forced to drive my Supra in the snow. It will look like crap and make owning the Supra not enjoyable for me.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
That sucks about the snow and yes, I think 90% of us on here would have tried the same thing, jeeesh. Everyone on the internet feels the need to post up about how much smarter than you they are......

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
Do you keep your car a heated garage? If so the tires were warm. If the tires are cold, they do not hold the road very well. I also have a corvette with similar summer only tires, and the performance when making a turn with the car was like driving on ice. I'm also surprised that car did ok with brand new tires on it, usually you need a few hundred miles on them to break them in a bit and get rid of the smoothness on the rubber.

TexasMKV

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium
Not trying to ballbust at all, I couldn't believe how much snow we got today. Also from our very own forums

Okay...that hurts everytime the front bumper hits that driveway curb... (I know it’s the rubber piece but still). It doesn’t snow here but it was below the recommended driving temp this morning for the summer tires for me. Didn’t feel comfortable in driving.

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Unpopular opinion and long drive impressions ahead:
For work I had to drive 8.5 hours and decided I will take this opportunity for a Supra road trip that I've been meaning to do. Weather conditions not the greatest, but probably the last chance I'll get till ~April living in MI.
So, with ambient temp ranging between 37-43 and tire temp at around 55, with light rain and light flurries, made it to my destination without any problems and wasn't easy on the pedal either.
First 2 nights it was around 35F. My destination being 15min away, haven't had any problems. No slippage, no loss of traction.
Surely not "safest" I know.
I ran into another Supra owner on the way, lol. Hello gray Supra owner.
Of course I checked all weather beforehand and deemed still safe to drive. Any lower and snowy, I'd have stayed away.

Anyhow I'm happy and glad I have the adaptive cruise control and coffee break reminder. There was a whole lot of cross-wind. I usually drive on Sport mode, but being a lengthy drive with music blasting, I drove on Normal, but changed steering and damping to sport. It helped out with stability during high winds.
In the end very comfortable 8.5 hours drive. No back pain. Not too tired either.
Oh!! Who the F designed the shades!! Damn it. For 2 straight hours direct sunlight in my eyes even with sunglasses and shades can't even be unclamped and moved around or extended!! Kept sitting upright to avoid, finally gave in raised the seat.
Overtaking was a joy, yet still dreaded those people who drive behind a truck for minutes and as you're closing in, decide to overtake with +1 mph. Same story with lorry vs lorry +1mph.
Anyhow, don't try this at home kids, experienced driver here :cool::eek: lol.
Sponsored