Formula 1 Talk

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Kind of a boring race after lap 30. What is the record for a team to lock up the constructors championship? That may be broken this season. The RB team is so much faster than everyone else behind.

All things considered, could Mercedes be the only team that can improve enough to challenge RB for wins? I guess we will see in a few races when the heavily modify that silver arrow.

Yet another terrible day for my McLaren team. I have a feeling some of that team will be fired by season end.

Ferrari yet again make a mistake of strategy when the safety car was out there, but it likely didn’t effect the end result.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah that safety car was ridiculous. Completely unnecessary. Max would've gotten P2 regardless so it didn't really matter as far as that is concerned. The Russell vs Hamilton situation seems to be heating up quite early, with little digs in the media and radio calls during the race. Will be fun watching that develop further. Didn't expect Perez to be that paranoid about Max when he was asked to slow down a little. He had plenty of gap out in front. It shows he's not confident he can take the fight to Max. I don't think Max had enough laps left to close the gap anyway, and the vibration/sound issue made that a certainty. So well done to Checo, but if he's already worried about Max when he's starting P15, he's already dead in the water for the rest of the season when Max starts in the top 3 under normal circumstances.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Kind of a boring race after lap 30. What is the record for a team to lock up the constructors championship? That may be broken this season. The RB team is so much faster than everyone else behind.
It's weird with the ways points have changed over the years, but probably McLaren in 1988 with the MP4/4 driven by Prost and Senna. Other than that, maybe the Mercedes W05 back in 2014. But agree that this one was over by lap 30 or so.

All things considered, could Mercedes be the only team that can improve enough to challenge RB for wins? I guess we will see in a few races when the heavily modify that silver arrow.
I'm thinking Aston. They start off a lot closer to RB than Mercedes and have the right people in place to continue developing. They can iterate on their current design rather than fixing a broken concept. They won't challenge RB for wins on merit but they have a great chance of being #2 in the constructors.

I don't know if Mercedes truly understands what they are doing wrong who knows if these modifications will be a forward step. I do think they can improve enough to keep ahead of Ferrari and push Aston a little bit.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Yeah that safety car was ridiculous. Completely unnecessary. Max would've gotten P2 regardless so it didn't really matter as far as that is concerned. The Russell vs Hamilton situation seems to be heating up quite early, with little digs in the media and radio calls during the race. Will be fun watching that develop further. Didn't expect Perez to be that paranoid about Max when he was asked to slow down a little. He had plenty of gap out in front. It shows he's not confident he can take the fight to Max. I don't think Max had enough laps left to close the gap anyway, and the vibration/sound issue made that a certainty. So well done to Checo, but if he's already worried about Max when he's starting P15, he's already dead in the water for the rest of the season when Max starts in the top 3 under normal circumstances.
I was thinking that as well. Pour it on Checo and don’t look back. On the exact opposite end, Max asking who had the fastest lap, then knowing what he had to do, then whipping it out of his ass 😼
. Damnnnnnnn

I’m sure you guys are the same, but when my car is spot on, feels great, that feeling translates into faster lap times. If you don’t believe in your car or setup, it’s way harder to convince yourself to push it to the limits. Max did that anyways last lap. Absolutely what you’d expect for someone who wants to be the next champion of the series. Love em or hate him, kudos to Max. And did he really come from 15th place đŸ˜±

If he keeps driving like this and Red Bull can maintain that car, he’ll be hard to stop with his level of confidence & skills. Kudos to Perez & Alonzo as well. The wife and I watched it on ESPN for free. Loved it 😍

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Enough of my dumb analysis
 You guys have been following this way longer than me.

How long will it take the others teams to catchup to Red Bull with the new dollar caps? Mercedes was dominating $$$ prior to this. You’d think the playing field wouldn’t take as long to catchup đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Didn't expect Perez to be that paranoid about Max when he was asked to slow down a little. He had plenty of gap out in front. It shows he's not confident he can take the fight to Max. I don't think Max had enough laps left to close the gap anyway, and the vibration/sound issue made that a certainty. So well done to Checo, but if he's already worried about Max when he's starting P15, he's already dead in the water for the rest of the season when Max starts in the top 3 under normal circumstances.
Ummm, you realize that he was more worried that the team was again screwing him over and telling him to slow down so that Max ends up taking away his win. I don't think he was overly concerned about Max catching him, he was more concerned that his team was telling him to slow down and Max to push. Let's be real here, Max is the better driver, but telling Checo to slow down when he clearly won the chance to fight for the win isn't exactly fair. I love how Max supporters have blinders on how Checo is treated by Max and his team. Take every opportunity to put Checo down. It's really sad because Checo is by far the best teammate that Max could ever ask for.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium

How long will it take the others teams to catchup to Red Bull with the new dollar caps? Mercedes was dominating $$$ prior to this. You’d think the playing field wouldn’t take as long to catchup đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž
Catchup in terms of a serious title challenge? Couple years at least.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
It's weird with the ways points have changed over the years, but probably McLaren in 1988 with the MP4/4 driven by Prost and Senna. Other than that, maybe the Mercedes W05 back in 2014. But agree that this one was over by lap 30 or so.

I'm thinking Aston. They start off a lot closer to RB than Mercedes and have the right people in place to continue developing. They can iterate on their current design rather than fixing a broken concept. They won't challenge RB for wins on merit but they have a great chance of being #2 in the constructors.

I don't know if Mercedes truly understands what they are doing wrong who knows if these modifications will be a forward step. I do think they can improve enough to keep ahead of Ferrari and push Aston a little bit.
Yes Aston could certainly stay up there, I just think that with all the talk from Merc that big changes could happen and that could result in a significant change in their pace. Aston doesn't have the best history of making in season improvements, so the fact that they are up there with Merc and Ferrari is a very good sign. I also have less faith in Stroll, out of the Merc and Aston drivers I think he's likely the weakest.

I just think this season could be really sad with the fights only being for 2nd place in the constructors. That would be even worse than last season.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Catchup in terms of a serious title challenge? Couple years at least.
Yeah it's hard to expect a serious challenge to happen this season, at least it would be a very big surprise if it does.

I'm actually really interested to see about the budget caps from last season, I'm hoping that everyone was under, but if RB went over two years in a row, (or Aston for that matter) I'll be wanting some form of penalties and not just some wind tunnel time and dollars.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ummm, you realize that he was more worried that the team was again screwing him over and telling him to slow down so that Max ends up taking away his win. I don't think he was overly concerned about Max catching him, he was more concerned that his team was telling him to slow down and Max to push. Let's be real here, Max is the better driver, but telling Checo to slow down when he clearly won the chance to fight for the win isn't exactly fair. I love how Max supporters have blinders on how Checo is treated by Max and his team. Take every opportunity to put Checo down. It's really sad because Checo is by far the best teammate that Max could ever ask for.
He was asked to slow down .4 of a second per lap. As was Max, who slowed down as well. Later on they were BOTH told free to push. If you're going to say things, say them right.

The people with blinders on, are "fans" like you who think everything is a conspiracy.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Mercedes has a concept they thought would keep them out in front, but instead they forgot about the porpoising. While Red Bull did not. See Mercedes engineers are relatively young, whereas Newey had designed a ground effect car before, so he knew exactly what to look for.
Aston Martin for instance poached a few aero guys from Red Bull, and that's how they made such a big improvement (and why the car looks like the 2022 Red Bull) but Mercedes' car is so radically different, that they can't just change it overnight.

It's not the zero pod design.

It's the floor. The air flowing over and around the car isn't nearly as important as the air going underneath.
If Mercedes get it right with the B spec car, they'll make a step forward.
What I think they're doing, is using this year's budget cap to introduce a car for 2024, so they basically use 2 years of cap, to develop it.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
He was asked to slow down .4 of a second per lap. As was Max, who slowed down as well. Later on they were BOTH told free to push. If you're going to say things, say them right.

The people with blinders on, are "fans" like you who think everything is a conspiracy.
I think you might be misunderstanding what I wrote and how I interpreted your initial post. You said that Perez was paranoid about Max catching him, which I took as the initial team call to Perez where they asked him to slow down a bit. Perez questioned this because he wanted to make sure that Max was getting the SAME instruction, and that it was a sly way of letting Max catch him before the end of the race.

You are correct that they both were told to slow down, but how the F would Perez know that, hence why he questioned that. Perez is justified in his paranoia in the team and Max screwing him as that's happened on more than one occasion over the past two seasons. You are also correct that they were told to push at the end, which they both did.

What conspiracy are you referring to? That Red Bull went over the cap, well that's confirmed, or that Max &/or RB have screwed Perez on multiple occasions over the past two seasons, which has also happened. The only people who refuse to admit that last one are Max fans who have blinders on, that's what I'm referring to, and you seem to be one of them in that you are trying to make it sound like Perez is scared of Max, when in fact he's scared that RB and/or Max are screwing him like they have in the past.
Sponsored