jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Hello,

The car I'm considering buying has holes drilled in the bumper by the dealer for a front license plate, while the state I live in requires a front license plate the cops don't care and I keep my license plate tow hook thing in the trunk. What options do I have to fix the bumper?

I know I can get plugs, bondo plus repaint, or get a new bumper.

This would be helpful to know, because I also want to put in an APR wing which requires drilling holes in the trunk and want to know if the wing can really be taken off later. If not I guess I'm getting one of the carbon fiber spoilers that just needs 3M.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.48.50 PM.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Had this EXACT issue when I bought mine. I was lucky that after it annoying me for months, I spoke to the salesman and he spoke to the service manager. I said I was very upset because I removed it thinking there would only be 2 holes but there were FIVE. He agreed that was excessive and they fixed and resprayed the front bumper for me for free. This was a super fortunate occurrence, as I doubt most dealers would do this. It wouldn't hurt to ask though. Last thing you want is plugs or holes. Before I had it fixed, I looked for plugs and couldn't find specific ones. I made a few mods of existing ones and it didn't sit well with me. If you have a respray and fix done it costs 600-800 most likely. Good luck bud, I feel yr pain. I hope the dealer can make it right. I'd also stay away from a bumper replacement if you care about matching part vins at all. A respray is prob best bet.

Also, if you didn't buy already, then I'd say ask the dealer to fix/respray or walk. I thought you had already bought it :) Guess it depends on how the dealer is willing to work with you if they know you'll actually buy it? Give it a shot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmulk

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
.... He agreed that was excessive and they fixed and resprayed the front bumper for me for free. ....
Were you worried that someone in the future might think the car was in an accident?

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Were you worried that someone in the future might think the car was in an accident?
I just saw the five holes they made into a brand new car. I thought two holes was excessive, let alone 5. It looked like garbage under the license frame, and I didn't want to immediately pay for a respray, especially since I didn't want it put on to begin with:(

OP
OP
jmulk

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Guess it depends on how the dealer is willing to work with you if they know you'll actually buy it? Give it a shot.
They don't seem to willing to work with me, but I'm out of state purchaser so it's always hard. I'll find out tomorrow, I'm asking for a respray from the dealer or $800.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They don't seem to willing to work with me, but I'm out of state purchaser so it's always hard. I'll find out tomorrow, I'm asking for a respray from the dealer or $800.
Worth a shot. If they say no, ask them to take it off, and take a look before you decide. Then they can see how bad it looks and how they ruined a brand new bumper. Then ask them if they think they will have success selling it like that to someone who doesn't want or ask for the front license installed. More than likely it will be 2-5 horrendous holes. Good luck man ? This is what it prob looks like underneath.
20200819_120824.jpg

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
When I bought my Supra I told the sales gal if they drill the bumper for the plate holder then its No Sale. She went and taped an index card to front bumper stating not to drill it. lol

Make them deduct $800-$1000 from the sale or fix it. Its a brand new car FFS.

-RJM

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
If you know your way around a spray can and have access to detailing equipment you can fix this yourself
After I replaced my BIG European front plate with a smaller one I had the same set of holes (only 4)
Not the best pics but you can see the before and after I moved the plate, I didn't take a picture of the holes in the bumper, should have but...

The process described in another thread :
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/european-license-plate-holder.9819/post-144974

Attachments

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Yeah that’s the first thing I do when I order a car and the day it arrives… attach a wide piece of blue painters tape to the front bumper and mark with a black sharpie “do not install front bracket”.

I would never accept a car with the drilled holes… ruins the cars look. The downside to a fill and paint… the Supra’s paint is already extremely soft and chips quickly. A respray will be even more susceptible to chipping. Not good.

I haven’t ran a front plate on my car’s since ‘93. Thankfully… Ohio passed a law last year to eliminate front plates.

OP
OP
jmulk

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Well, looks like they are refusing to do anything about the front license plate holes. They said there are two holes.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Yeah that’s the first thing I do when I order a car and the day it arrives… attach a wide piece of blue painters tape to the front bumper and mark with a black sharpie “do not install front bracket”.

I would never accept a car with the drilled holes… ruins the cars look. The downside to a fill and paint… the Supra’s paint is already extremely soft and chips quickly. A respray will be even more susceptible to chipping. Not good.

I haven’t ran a front plate on my car’s since ‘93. Thankfully… Ohio passed a law last year to eliminate front plates.
No lead now for years. All paint chips factory or not. None of its good. Want no rock chips etc? Pay up and get EXPEL 10mm film.
Sponsored