Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium (AZ)
What should this cost? I asked a well rated shop by me and they want between $3700 and $5300 depending on the amount of layers. This is for hood bumper and side fenders, with ceramic coating on the rest. Is that just absurd, or realistic. I know where i live its going to cost more than anywhere else, but is this a rip off?
That sounds about right. I feel like, if youā€™re going to pay upwards of $5k+ you might as well just PPF the whole car instead of ceramic coat, since CC does not protect against rock chips and scratches. The shop in my area quoted me $4900 to PPF the whole car
Sponsored

Yabai

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 premium - Phantom
YES get PPF!! Your car will stay looking new! If it wasnā€™t for my PPF I would have about 8 rock Chips on the paint, instead itā€™s in the PPF. Worth every penny.

1. If you do white/grays/silver I would do just full front. Yellow/blue/black/phantom I would do entire car. Reason is if the color shows swirl marks the front of the car will be flawless and the back half will show marks. Heat makes swirls disappear on PPF so basically flawless exterior.(get expel ppf). Your concern on fading if done on half the car was mine too, I have tungsteno so Iā€™m not worried and did half the car, if you choose blue/yellow/phantom I too would be concerned about the colors changing over time but I assume thatā€™s like 5-10 years later not in a couple of years unless youlive in FL and park outside all day. Again, the grays/silver Iā€™m sure we donā€™t have to worry about color fading differences.

2. My shop did pre cut EXPEL PPF and they did not have to remove anything. Personally I wouldnā€™t want them to remove bumpers for misalignment issues, this would kill me. Also, seem lines are more apparent on the blue/phantom/black colors. All other colors you canā€™t even tell itā€™s invisible.

3. No, they wouldnā€™t get dirt in them itā€™s sealed, unless you scrub the opposite way if you wash ā€œabrasivelyā€ over hundreds of times. But my ppf was pre cut and I donā€™t have but maybe2-4 unwrapped edges.

4. The new stuff does not turnyellow like our fathers had back then. Expel has a warranty that if it turns yellow they replace it. Personally I replace my ppf after I got enough rock chips in it that it starts to look a bit bad, but donā€™t need to replace all the parts. But if the car stayed perfect then I suppose every 5-10 years, depending on conditions.

5. There should be no damage, as long as itā€™s removed correctly and the person knows what they are doing the paint should be as when it was laid on. Again, depends on condition, for ex: if I lived in a very hot climate and parked outside everyday with sun hitting it, o would replace it after about 5 years. I park in a garage all day so Iā€™m good for 7-10 yeas or if I change it due to chips on the ppf(paint underneath is perfect). Keep in mind large rock may still penetrate through the ppf and paint but theres Nothing you can do there(donā€™t tailgate and youā€™ll be ok).

Hope this helps!!
Does it matter if you do regular ppf or stealth on the phantom color? Would it look glossy if I did the regular instead of stealth?

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
I'm taking delivery of a 2022 absolute zero Supra next week, so I'm looking into PPF in my area. Just wanted to get input from people who have gotten PPF for their supras. I have a few questions I couldn't really find through existing forums so here they are...

1. On the fence about getting full front or full car PPF. With full front only, I'm concerned that the difference between a wrapped surface and non-wrapped surface will become more and more apparent over time. Any input?

2. I've contacted a few shops, and most are doing a custom cut for the hood so they can wrap the edges. As for the front bumper, they say it may not be possible to wrap the edges without removing the bumpers. Is this the case? Or are there shops that can wrap the edges on the bumper without removing parts?

3. If there happens to be some unwrapped edges, would it be a constant battle to keep dirt and grime from sticking to the edges? Theoretically should be more apparent on a white car.

4. How long does PPF typically last before they turn yellow, cracking, etc, and need to be reapplied?

5. And a follow up to number 4, if the film were to be removed years down the road, would the paint underneath be the same as it was before applying PPF, or should I expect some level of damage or discoloration?

Most shops I've called are using XPEL btw.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as it's such a huge investment!
What color interior?

mmmmkv

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
For what itā€™s worth, my whole car is done and it was all precut. The edges were not folded over. Unfortunately I donā€™t know about the hood because I purchased the car preowned. It did save a couple rock chips on the rear hips for me though, so Iā€™m happy the entire car was done.

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does it matter if you do regular ppf or stealth on the phantom color? Would it look glossy if I did the regular instead of stealth?
Yes I believe it would make it glossy. You would need to get the stealth

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
If they do the stealth ppf the car(phantom paint)will look like nothing was done to it as in its perfect for matte paint. I did my hood/fenders/lights/windshield pillars/door jams/door sills in gloss ppf and they did the lower matte black front lip in stealth ppf and it looks factory as in the ppf didnā€™t affect it at all. Or on a phantom car you can have them do gloss ppf on the Matt black areas and they all turn into gloss black.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That sounds about right. I feel like, if youā€™re going to pay upwards of $5k+ you might as well just PPF the whole car instead of ceramic coat, since CC does not protect against rock chips and scratches. The shop in my area quoted me $4900 to PPF the whole car
$4900 for the entire car is really good! AP3 quoted me 5,800. Just make sure itā€™s a good shop/installer by reviews as best you can.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
OP - If you're wanting to protect the car, I'd do it like you mean it. For example I don't run PPF and park the car in my nice garage most of the time and only drive in light traffic 5 sec behind the car in front of me. I also own a cool daily driver or two, or three.. My Supra is fully protected from dumbarses (well besides me), UV, bird crappage, etc.

If you're wanting decent protection while driving to work, etc I'd do just the front bumper and maybe part of the hood, and rockers. You'll still get arseholes streaking their butts across your car along with bags, SUV's and trucks dinging and bumping your car while parked so its pointless if you want full protection. Only full protection is to avoid such passages all together.

PPF is not a magical solution for your daily life troubles. Cookies, maybe.

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
$4900 for the entire car is really good! AP3 quoted me 5,800. Just make sure itā€™s a good shop/installer by reviews as best you can.
Yeah that quote is actually from AP3! Iā€™m not sure why yours was significantly higher than mine? Maybe theyā€™ve gotten enough experience with the Supra body lines at this point? Haha. They did say the stealth one would be $5500 or so if thatā€™s what you were quoted for

but yeah Iā€™m probably gonna do the full PPF and ceramic tint from them. $5700 out the door

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP - If you're wanting to protect the car, I'd do it like you mean it. For example I don't run PPF and park the car in my nice garage most of the time and only drive in light traffic 5 sec behind the car in front of me. I also own a cool daily driver or two, or three.. My Supra is fully protected from dumbarses (well besides me), UV, bird crappage, etc.

If you're wanting decent protection while driving to work, etc I'd do just the front bumper and maybe part of the hood, and rockers. You'll still get arseholes streaking their butts across your car along with bags, SUV's and trucks dinging and bumping your car while parked so its pointless if you want full protection. Only full protection is to avoid such passages all together.

PPF is not a magical solution for your daily life troubles. Cookies, maybe.
All this is true. I need to retrain myself to distance myself from cars ahead. But I hate it when those dump trucks on the highway have overfilled loads. Quite impossible to dodge the landslide of rocks spilling all across the highway. Other option is to weave and swerve and potentially causing an accident.

Fortunately and unfortunately this will be my daily, so I definitely need that sacrificial layer on my paint even though itā€™a not bulletproof

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah that quote is actually from AP3! Iā€™m not sure why yours was significantly higher than mine? Maybe theyā€™ve gotten enough experience with the Supra body lines at this point? Haha. They did say the stealth one would be $5500 or so if thatā€™s what you were quoted for

but yeah Iā€™m probably gonna do the full PPF and ceramic tint from them. $5700 out the door
Dam maybe I should get my car done again with this price šŸ˜‚ only thing that sucks is that I recently moved to Wyoming and Iā€™m a 3 day drive away

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
All this is true. I need to retrain myself to distance myself from cars ahead. But I hate it when those dump trucks on the highway have overfilled loads. Quite impossible to dodge the landslide of rocks spilling all across the highway. Other option is to weave and swerve and potentially causing an accident.

Fortunately and unfortunately this will be my daily, so I definitely need that sacrificial layer on my paint even though itā€™a not bulletproof
But you currently own an IS350F? Keep that as your daily and drive your Supra on weekends..(?)
Supra's are pretty much useless and annoying cars if used daily imho.. even parking is a problem because your doors are so large you need a fairly decent sized parking spot if you want to get in/out without bumping your head..

This is why I like my garage.. I can swing the door open fully on both sides and still have room to spare.

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
But you currently own an IS350F? Keep that as your daily and drive your Supra on weekends..(?)
Supra's are pretty much useless and annoying cars if used daily imho.. even parking is a problem because your doors are so large you need a fairly decent sized parking spot if you want to get in/out without bumping your head..

This is why I like my garage.. I can swing the door open fully on both sides and still have room to spare.
Yeah I wrecked the IS350 which is why I was looking for a new car in the first place. Was contemplating an IS500 but that wouldā€™ve been $70k+ with taxes and markups
Sponsored