Gear box stuck in park

Gizzy_18

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 L Premium
Is there an emergency override or button you can access or press once the vehicle dies and it is stuck in park? I’ve been looking for answers and read the owner’s manual and I can’t find the answer. I have a 2021 Toyota Supra and the car died the other day, couldn’t jump it cause the battery fried and I was unable to get it into neutral. It sucked watching the tow truck driver having to drag it onto the bed tow bed lol
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Is there an emergency override or button you can access or press once the vehicle dies and it is stuck in park? I’ve been looking for answers and read the owner’s manual and I can’t find the answer. I have a 2021 Toyota Supra and the car died the other day, couldn’t jump it cause the battery fried and I was unable to get it into neutral. It sucked watching the tow truck driver having to drag it onto the bed tow bed lol
No easy way to access the bolt on the transmission to manually put into neutral. The belly pan has a ton of bolts to remove. Thanks for the reminder I need to cut a hole in the belly pan for future access.

-RJM

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
So how did the battery fry?

OP
OP
Gizzy_18

Gizzy_18

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 L Premium
So how did the battery fry?
I’m not sure to be honest. The car wouldn’t start (@1200 miles) so I jumped it with the battery box. As I was jumping it, my friend’s brother, who works for BMW, told me that the newer cars or the Supra, required a newer specific battery box (dunno if that’s true or not). So as I was jumping it, one of the terminals started to smoke. After that, I had triple A come out and they couldn’t charge it either. So brought it to Toyota and they said yeah the battery is fried wouldn’t hold a charge. Luckily, I still have warranty lol so they replaced it but they told me anytime I need to replace the battery or etc. the computer in the car has to be reset otherwise the infotainment screen, speedometer and all the electrical components would get all messed up. Apparently, you need that specific tool or computer that bmw has to reset the vehicle. I’m not sure if they were telling me the truth or not but yeah. I usually never ever buy extended warranty but once I looked under the hood and they explained all the electrical components to me before I bought the car, I had to buy it cause it’s all new and foreign to me. I’ve always been a Honda/Toyota guy…time for me to buy a Honda Civic commuter and drive the Supra only on weekends.

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
I’m not sure to be honest. The car wouldn’t start (@1200 miles) so I jumped it with the battery box. As I was jumping it, my friend’s brother, who works for BMW, told me that the newer cars or the Supra, required a newer specific battery box (dunno if that’s true or not). So as I was jumping it, one of the terminals started to smoke. After that, I had triple A come out and they couldn’t charge it either. So brought it to Toyota and they said yeah the battery is fried wouldn’t hold a charge. Luckily, I still have warranty lol so they replaced it but they told me anytime I need to replace the battery or etc. the computer in the car has to be reset otherwise the infotainment screen, speedometer and all the electrical components would get all messed up. Apparently, you need that specific tool or computer that bmw has to reset the vehicle. I’m not sure if they were telling me the truth or not but yeah. I usually never ever buy extended warranty but once I looked under the hood and they explained all the electrical components to me before I bought the car, I had to buy it cause it’s all new and foreign to me. I’ve always been a Honda/Toyota guy…time for me to buy a Honda Civic commuter and drive the Supra only on weekends.
Did you jump the correct way under engine hood like the manual says?

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
they told me anytime I need to replace the battery or etc. the computer in the car has to be reset otherwise the infotainment screen, speedometer and all the electrical components would get all messed up. Apparently, you need that specific tool or computer that bmw has to reset the vehicle. I’m not sure if they were telling me the truth or not but yeah.
That is true, though the correct term is “register the battery”. You can do that with an OBD2 scanner and an app that offers that option for BMW. One such app is BimmerLink.

https://bimmerlink.app/

You should watch this video. At about 19:40 he discusses the battery.

Sponsored