Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
GM Will Only Sell Zero-Emission Vehicles by 2035

I'm no climate change denier or flat earther, but losing great gas-engine sounds and burbling exhausts will break my heart.

What about the new flat plane Corvette? The Cadillac Blackwings? Are they going to be three-year models?

I knew it was coming, but I may go all Charlton Heston, and make them pry my Supra keys from my cold dead hands. :hmm:
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
GM Will Only Sell Zero-Emission Vehicles by 2035

I'm no climate change denier or flat earther, but losing great gas-engine sounds and burbling exhausts will break my heart.

What about the new flat plane Corvette? The Cadillac Blackwings? Are they going to be three-year models?

I knew it was coming, but I may go all Charlton Heston, and make them pry my Supra keys from my cold dead hands. :hmm:
There's always Dodge shoving Hellcat engines into anything with wheels :rofl:

P.s. that's 2035, not 2025 lol.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
That's many OE's plan even if they haven't clearly said so. Some are more realistic than others..
Industry is going in that direction for sure. Toyota is pushing for fuel cells and I'd love to support that more than electric, but hasn't gotten the love it requires to make it more feasible.
BYD and some other companies are working on swappable batteries while whole e-consortium are combining forces for battery superchargers.
I'm not in the core of the battery industry so these are speculations and studies from many different articles, but many seem to think US infrastructure will need a major overhaul to support all electric. Government needs to support this.
On the other hand, does the world have enough lithium-ion to even support this?
Below is old, but unless aliens visited and dropped us Li-on packages, still valid..
1611865938461.png

So, that's why I said realistic in the beginning. This year there is semi-conductor shortage per poor planning among other things, so who knows what'll happen in 15 years time.
Ow and as you can see China and Chile have the most reserves. Who knows if China will be so kind in the future or slap even more tariffs...unless graphite or li-po, ni-mh, etc. will be better alternatives.

Edit: more on chip shortage
Screenshot_20210130-124252_Chrome.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1256178

Last edited:
OP
OP
Supra Cat

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
I still cringe at an electric Hummer or what Ford has named a Mustang, so I hope they're seriously amazing. Because the industry is changing, even though my latest vote-by-purchase was for the obnoxiously gas-burbling Supra :thumbsup:

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
I think Europe is also moving to all EV vehicles but not sure when. California will not allow any gas/diesel vehicles to be sold by 2035 and I hear CA is a huge market for car companies.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I still cringe at an electric Hummer or what Ford has named a Mustang, so I hope they're seriously amazing. Because the industry is changing, even though my latest vote-by-purchase was for the obnoxiously gas-burbling Supra :thumbsup:
Supra I6 is nothing compared to what V8, V10, etc. produce.
I laugh at crappy hybrids that only manage to get +2mpg, but electric Hummer, etc is much less of a laughingstock because of high torque output of e-motors.
Trend is towards SUVs, so it makes sense to follow that with electric..
Problem imho is you have to increase carbon footprint somewhere where you produce the batteries and require something converted into electricity to charge them. In the end you get lower in-city emissions, but raise it elsewhere.. unless you go green in electric production as well, which isn't that easy. Even if the option is nuclear, you have many hurdles, same with solar/wind..

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Supra I6 is nothing compared to what V8, V10, etc. produce.
I laugh at crappy hybrids that only manage to get +2mpg, but electric Hummer, etc is much less of a laughingstock because of high torque output of e-motors.
Trend is towards SUVs, so it makes sense to follow that with electric..
Problem imho is you have to increase carbon footprint somewhere where you produce the batteries and require something converted into electricity to charge them. In the end you get lower in-city emissions, but raise it elsewhere.. unless you go green in electric production as well, which isn't that easy. Even if the option is nuclear, you have many hurdles, same with solar/wind..
Youā€™re right that lifecycle analysis is important in calculating carbon footprint, but we can significantly reduce our carbon footprint once we are doing this at scale (widely). Yes, itā€™s inefficient if only a few of us are doing it, but once many or most of us are doing it, the math changes.

it will be odd not hearing the growl of an internal combustion engine; Iā€™ve thought about that. But, Iā€™m guessing there will be some pretty quick electric motors coming our way along with some other interesting opportunities in engineering.

It will eventually happen one way or another, much like the much lamented loss of the horse and wagon. At least back then, no one could lie about how many horses they had.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
An electric Hummer actually makes a lot of sense. I wish it looked more like the military-type AM General H1 but I guess we have Bollinger's $100k+ B1 electric truck/SUV for that. Electric motors make perfect sense for something like a Hummer, so long as they actually make it off-road capable with extreme approach and departure angle capabilities.

The Ford Escape Mach E on the other hand... that's just very annoying of them. I'm a former owner of a 60's V8 Mustang and as much as I love the irreplaceable sound and style of a V8 internal combustion engine with a free-flowing exhaust I also just love the cars themselves and how they drive.

A hybrid-electric and later full electric *two door Mustang coupe* (which is what a "Ford Mustang" actually is) will be totally fine with me. Just so long as it isn't self-driving and full of distracting screens that require me to look away from the road in order to adjust the A/C, stereo, or see driveline data that should be in the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, etc.

The Supra will be gasoline-only through model year 2026 and after that, assuming an A100 successor is right on its heels, there should be a hybrid-electric drivetrain. After that we can expect an all-electric Supra.

But you know... as ALL the regular cars and fun cars alike become hybrid-electric and full electric what I hope the manufacturers will remember is what it is to make a particular and special car fun to drive such that it puts a grin on the owner's face every time they get into it.

Artificial noises and 0-60 in 1.0 seconds aren't the golden ticket's for that. I love the tradition of an inline-six being so integral to what makes a Supra a Supra but are the chassis, beautiful styling, handling, driving character and driving experience itself and ability to customize the driveline not also big parts of what make a Supra what it is?

For what it's worth I argue those things are more relevant than most of us give them credit for.

Don't get me wrong, I love the brilliant 2JZ-GTE, 1JZ-GTE and massaged B58 inline-sixes. They create timeless experiences that cannot be replaced by any electric motor-- no question about that. But I also feel that as we move into this new era of electric drivelines the most important ingredient of all is the uniqueness of the special cars themselves.

A bubbly looking ugly EV thing called a "crossover" that isn't low to the ground and which happens to have a high end model capable of silly 0-60 times in a straight line does not make me care about it at all no matter how much people seem to like SUV's, CUV's and crossovers.

However a gorgeous sportscar like a Supra or 911 or a fun performance coupe like a Mustang (the actual one with two doors) or Camaro or a Miata or GT86/BRZ or GR Yaris or Mazda RX-anything or Subaru WRX STI or BMW M2 Competition... insert whatever style of fun car that YOU personally like....

...Any of those shapes and styles have their own characteristics visually/aesthetically and behind the wheel that are not all just about their engines.

And those are the many different fun car qualities that I hope survive into the EV era.
Sponsored

Last edited: