Toyota GR SPORTS EV Concept could be an electric MR2 successor

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
We had a week of no production, ran a few days last week and only one shift today. Full production resumes tomorrow as of right now. One of the suppliers caught fire so that is the hold up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
So I work for Toyota Manufacturing and recently been getting material and webinars about MR2 the history, different clubs etc.

Could be a stretch, but maybe a sign of a possibility of new model incoming? Again just maybe a thought.
Nah, it couldn't be for a new MR2. Clearly they're bringing the mid-engine Previa minivan back.

.....šŸ˜„ Kidding.

This is very cool to hear. Thank you for sharing! I do hope your report and the recent IG post from Toyota GR of an AW11 MR2 point to a successor on the horizon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I'll speculate on this a bit myself. Certainly none of us other than Toyota insiders know the true facts about whatever a future MR2 will be:

I think a new GR MR2 is inevitable but other than pure EV speculation itā€™s also very possible if it is produced in the next 2-4 years that it will use the proven (and extremely stout for easily 500whp or more) GR Yaris and GR Corolla 1.6L 3cyl turbo 268-300hp engine.

This would also further amortize costs for that engine for Toyota since itā€™s only in two models so far.

Toyota is already developing an 8-speed automatic for that engine, presumably to sell even more GR Corollas to people who donā€™t want 6-speed manuals and to offer a Corolla wagon in Japan with a GR variant using the G16E-GTS 1.6L turbo engine and GR-Four AWD system.

It could also be an 8-speed automatic that is capable of integrated hybrid electric motor assist.

*IF* that is the case then it would make even more sense to detune the engine down to less than 268hp (as rumored), even de-stroke it to 1.0L and augment it with a 50hp or so electric motor.

For *brand new models*, Toyota will only offer electrified vehicles (hybrid or EV) from model year 2026 onward. But existing models already on sale at that time will continue on until they stop production past MY2026.

Iā€™d love to see a last hurrah a 6-speed manual gas-only GR MR2 but unless it is introduced for model year 2024-2025 I think it will be a performance hybrid without any manual transmission.

But probably a very fun performance hybrid at that.

We've heard MR2 EV rumors as well but unless there is a tie-up with Porsche's new 718 Cayman 100% EV platform or the new Lotus scalable small 100% EV sportscar platform I'd look at what EV technology Toyota is already working on for higher volume models:

The next Lexus IS sedan will be a performance-ish EV and there is a GR Celica 2+2 coupe in the works as a solid state EV with dual motors front and rear rumored to have 500hp. But that is a few years away until they perfect the battery technology. I don't think either of those vehicle platforms will allow for scaling down to traditional MR2 sizes or allow for a decent battery pack to be fitted.

Maybe that yellow-gold sports EV concept that Toyota showed off is related but I think that would only be produced with their as yet not ready solid state battery technology... and so far it looks like high end Lexus EV models and just the not lightweight GR Celica EV model will be offered with that.

Back to this gas or gas hybrid MR2 speculation, also Toyota could offer both an MR2 3cyl turbo gas-only w/6-speed manual AND a hybrid-electric variant of the MR2 in order to satisfy their ā€œevery model from now on is offered with hybrid or full electrification by model year 2026ā€ internal mandate.

And that would mean a hypothetical MR2 6-speed manual gets to live as long as it can still pass emission and fuel economy regulations while the hybrid-electric variant is ensured to have an even longer lifespan as long as new hybrid gas-electric cars are still allowed to be sold through 2030-2035.

The Daihatsu or Suzuki collaboration would be a cool avenue if that turns out to be the real truth of it. However I'd truly hope it wouldn't result in a Japan-market-only Kei-size MR2.

No matter what Toyota seems to be building a new MR2. I'm excited for whatever form it will take!

Last edited:

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White

I'll speculate on this a bit myself. Certainly none of us other than Toyota insiders know the true facts about whatever a future MR2 will be:

I think a new GR MR2 is inevitable but other than pure EV speculation itā€™s also very possible if it is produced in the next 2-4 years that it will use the proven (and extremely stout for easily 500whp or more) GR Yaris and GR Corolla 1.6L 3cyl turbo 268-300hp engine.

This would also further amortize costs for that engine for Toyota since itā€™s only in two models so far.

Toyota is already developing an 8-speed automatic for that engine, presumably to sell even more GR Corollas to people who donā€™t want 6-speed manuals and to offer a Corolla wagon in Japan with a GR variant using the G16E-GTS 1.6L turbo engine and GR-Four AWD system.

It could also be an 8-speed automatic that is capable of integrated hybrid electric motor assist.

*IF* that is the case then it would make even more sense to detune the engine down to less than 268hp (as rumored), even de-stroke it to 1.0L and augment it with a 50hp or so electric motor.

For *brand new models*, Toyota will only offer electrified vehicles (hybrid or EV) from model year 2026 onward. But existing models already on sale at that time will continue on until they stop production past MY2026.

Iā€™d love to see a last hurrah a 6-speed manual gas-only GR MR2 but unless it is introduced for model year 2024-2025 I think it will be a performance hybrid without any manual transmission.

But probably a very fun performance hybrid at that.

We've heard MR2 EV rumors as well but unless there is a tie-up with Porsche's new 718 Cayman 100% EV platform or the new Lotus scalable small 100% EV sportscar platform I'd look at what EV technology Toyota is already working on for higher volume models:

The next Lexus IS sedan will be a performance-ish EV and there is a GR Celica 2+2 coupe in the works as a solid state EV with dual motors front and rear rumored to have 500hp. But that is a few years away until they perfect the battery technology. I don't think either of those vehicle platforms will allow for scaling down to traditional MR2 sizes or allow for a decent battery pack to be fitted.

Maybe that yellow-gold sports EV concept that Toyota showed off is related but I think that would only be produced with their as yet not ready solid state battery technology... and so far it looks like high end Lexus EV models and just the not lightweight GR Celica EV model will be offered with that.

Back to this gas or gas hybrid MR2 speculation, also Toyota could offer both an MR2 3cyl turbo gas-only w/6-speed manual AND a hybrid-electric variant of the MR2 in order to satisfy their ā€œevery model from now on is offered with hybrid or full electrification by model year 2026ā€ internal mandate.

And that would mean a hypothetical MR2 6-speed manual gets to live as long as it can still pass emission and fuel economy regulations while the hybrid-electric variant is ensured to have an even longer lifespan as long as new hybrid gas-electric cars are still allowed to be sold through 2030-2035.

The Daihatsu or Suzuki collaboration would be a cool avenue if that turns out to be the real truth of it. However I'd truly hope it wouldn't result in a Japan-market-only Kei-size MR2.

No matter what Toyota seems to be building a new MR2. I'm excited for whatever form it will take!
I'd hope the next MR2 is Hybrid or Fully electric personally, if it's gas why make that over a GR86? Instant power delivery in a small platform (or MKV Supra sized) is such a wet dream of mine, I'll trade in the supra for an electric miata / brz / mr2 / s2000 / many other small platforms, very excited for EV sports cars. The EV GR86 and EV GR Supra can't come soon enough to me, or hybrid for best of both worlds!

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I'd hope the next MR2 is Hybrid or Fully electric personally, if it's gas why make that over a GR86?
Because mid-engine RWD is substantially different in both drive dynamics and cache? At a guess it would be much closer in price to the MKV than the GR86. Possibly even more of a halo offering and slotting in above the MKV (although I doubt this).

I'd love it if they made a "poor(ish) man's LFA" that was under $80K but even more focused than the MKV. Perhaps I'm in the minority camp in that regard however.

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
Because mid-engine RWD is substantially different in both drive dynamics and cache? At a guess it would be much closer in price to the MKV than the GR86. Possibly even more of a halo offering and slotting in above the MKV (although I doubt this).

I'd love it if they made a "poor(ish) man's LFA" that was under $80K but even more focused than the MKV. Perhaps I'm in the minority camp in that regard however.
Ah yea fair, I've never driven a mid engine vehicle so I don't consider them special but to some people they likely are. Going above the MKV in price would be crazy, but if it was using the GR yaris motor or hybrid or fully EV, I'd pay that price

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mid engine cars do have a unique feel and handling balance compared to FF, FR and RR cars.

It will be interesting if Toyota does make use of their existing G16E-GTS since it's transverse and would make for a perfect way to recreate the same budget formula they used for the last three generations of MR2 that were powered by by engines primarily offered in FWD/AWD Toyotas (the 4A-GE, 3S-GTE, 5S-FE and 1ZZ-FE).

Or... some entirely different engine. But I wouldn't be surprised *IF* Akio Toyoda is a fan of the AW11 MR2 and SW20 MR2 and pushed to further expand the business case for that in-house 1.6L 3cyl turbo engine to yet another GR model. If would make sense... right?

Based on the above video there is no way to know for sure what powertrain it will have other than that there seems to already be SOME drivetrain that has been settled on at the R&D stage whatever it is.

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If Bestcar's render is anywhere near close to the real thing then I think Toyota will have a winner on their hands.

If accurate, it's interesting how much higher the top of the side doors and cockpit area below the window glass has become compared to 2-seater mid engine designs of the past.

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
https://www.motor1.com/news/652582/toyota-suzuki-small-sports-car-rumor/

Toyota And Suzuki Small Sports Car Coming With 1.0-Liter Engine: Report

The mid-engined coupe is said to have 120 hp and weigh as much as the lightest Miata.

In mid-December 2021, Toyota took all of us by surprise when it showed the Sports EV, a conceptual sports car with a purely electric powertrain. Featuring Gazoo Racing badging, the "mid-ship run-about 2-seater" was quickly seen by enthusiasts as a spiritual successor of the MR2. As seen in these official images, it had surprisingly large air intakes, short overhangs, plenty of carbon fiber, and presumably a removable targa top.

Toyota has been tight-lipped about the Sports EV ever since but a new report from Japan claims the company is still interested in coming out with an MR2-like model. Best Car magazine reports the baby sports car co-developed with Suzuki and Daihatsu is still happening. We've been hearing this rumor for years, and Toyota showed a conceptual entry-level sports car in October 2015 with the S-FR concept, although that had a front-engine layout.

The Japanese magazine claims the three domestic automakers are working on an affordable mid-engined Toyota sports car with a turbocharged 1.0-liter engine. The three-pot is said to produce nearly 120 horsepower and 200 Newton-meters (147 pound-feet) of torque. It is believed the ICE will have a mild-hybrid setup to provide a small boost and improve fuel economy.

While the rumored output is not exactly impressive, the "Midship Sports" mentioned by Best Car is said to weigh just 1,000 kilograms (2,204 pounds). That would make it just about as light as the base Mazda MX-5 with the 1.5-liter engine, which has 129 hp and 150 Nm (111 lb-ft). It's said to be significantly bigger than the Miata and the third-generation MR2 by measuring 4,200 millimeters (165.3 inches) long, 1,720 mm (67.7 in) wide, and 1,220 mm (48 in) tall, with a wheelbase of 2,550 mm (100 in).

Suzuki is reportedly developing the engine while the front suspension will be adapted from the current-generation Yaris. The styling is said to take cues from the Daihatsu Copen although the rendering published by Best Car shows a sleeker sports car that takes itself more seriously. It would be strictly a two-seat affair and carry the Toyota badge.

The alleged Midship Sports is said to cost from 2.2 to 2.8 million yen depending on trim level and options. That works out to $16,500 to $21,000 at current exchange rates. As always, especially with rumors that never die yet don't come to fruition either, take these details with the proverbial pinch of salt.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
While I'd love to see even 60% of that rumor-mill posting come to fruition... I'm having trouble even conceiving of an EV with those looks running that cheaply. If they do, I'm almost positive that the corners cut would make it a non-starter for all but the youngest consumer.

It would be great to see, but considering what you get in a ICE-only Corolla at that price tells me that the interior would likely make an MX-5 seem like a luxury exotic by comparison.

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
While I'd love to see even 60% of that rumor-mill posting come to fruition... I'm having trouble even conceiving of an EV with those looks running that cheaply. If they do, I'm almost positive that the corners cut would make it a non-starter for all but the youngest consumer.

It would be great to see, but considering what you get in a ICE-only Corolla at that price tells me that the interior would likely make an MX-5 seem like a luxury exotic by comparison.
This latest rumor of the MR2 is that it will fundamentally be an ICE car but with a hybrid system.

As an EV... you would never see it using today's conventional battery technology. It's just not possible with that particular shape as pictured in Toyota's "EV Reveal Day" from a couple of years ago. With their solid state battery pack technology it becomes much more possible.

If they were to build that shape with this 1.0L three cylinder gas electric hybrid drivetrain in the shorter term then I think it is VERY possible.

Conventional lithium-ion pack technology is still very limiting in terms of what vehicles can be built to use it reasonably. That will change over the long term but for an MR2 style vehicle it would have to use solid state tech to be competitive.