Toyota confirmed 3 sports car lineup: Toyota exec wants to bring back Celica, MR2

Which lineup you think will become real at the end of the decade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I'm talking about the concept of lineage and how car companies think when they name cars. It's all bullshit. Car companies will rename/chop/change and ascribe "lineage" based on projected sales and market research.

The 45th anniversary is an example where they decided to include the Celica timeline because it fits their schedule, lol.
On this I agree with you especially as to vehicle naming and how it can only partially or not at all line up with the past thing it's supposed to be referencing.

The worst possible examples I can think of in recent memory, one of which was already mentioned above are the "Mustang" Mach E crossover and the "Eclipse" Cross crossover. Neither new vehicle, of course, has a single thing to do with a Ford Mustang or a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Don't believe the hype.
However here I must once again ask you to be far more specific.

Which portion of what "hype" exactly should I not be paying attention to in relation to the GR86 successor detailed in the BestCar article? Which specific points from the BestCar article do you feel are more likely to be just hype versus other points mentioned therein?

There really isn't any mention of whatever Toyota plans to do with the name "Celica" in that article. Toyota *could* use that name instead, sure. Or not. We'll see.
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
However here I must once again ask you to be far more specific.
Everything PR related; Marketing material; fanboy theories and of course, anything that seems to good to be true. I'm honestly not sure if you are just being obtuse at this point.

Which specific points from the BestCar article do you feel are more likely to be just hype versus other points mentioned therein?
I don't follow BestCar in any meaningful way but all the renders and rumors I have seen from this publication have been at best wrong. At worst they've published complete fanboy fabrications and for want of a better phrase, click bait. 🤷‍♂️

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Everything PR related; Marketing material; fanboy theories and of course, anything that seems to good to be true. I'm honestly not sure if you are just being obtuse at this point.
I am not being obtuse. I am just genuinely perplexed as to how you can discount the entire possibility of a successor/third gen 86 (or any future vehicle from any manufacturer at all) simply because it hasn't been announced for sale yet.

By this metric the manual Supra MKV should not exist either since it was only hinted at by a couple of insiders and the rumor mill for a couple of years before it was finally announced... but people have been buying them for the last year now.

Nothing in these publications is ever 100% accurate but some of these rumors hold a little more water than others do even if the exact details are a bit more opaque than they are completely transparent.

Toyota GR and Lexus have a limited window of years within which to do a coupe more special fun models that still use some version of an internal combustion engine and, for the moment, both manual and automatic transmissions.

They also absolutely are going to milk the G16E turbo engine into as many models as they think they can sell it in to recoup the cost of developing it and turn a profit on it over time. Incorporating it into a RWD sporty model is a no-brainer for them right now. They won't have a better chance to down the road.

Especially considering that the Subaru FA24D engine with its oiling system design flaw when used on track and its inability to pass upcoming Japanese emissions regulations followed by emissions regulations in other markets in a coupe of years means it isn't going to be evolved but retired and replaced by some other engine.

And add to that the current chassis is incapable of passing EU safety regulations in the same upcoming timeframe which would require extensive reworking of the chassis or its total clean slate redesign. Toyota seems to be going with the latter option.

I don't follow BestCar in any meaningful way but all the renders and rumors I have seen from this publication have been at best wrong. At worst they've published complete fanboy fabrications and for want of a better phrase, click bait. 🤷‍♂️
To each their own in that case. I have an opposite opinion of BestCar considering how often they've been closer to the mark than not.

They sure did get the GR Corolla's projected specifications AND its exterior design near bang on before anyone was certain that it would come to the U.S. and some other markets that don't get the GR Yaris.

I can think of several *other* online rumor publications which are so unreliable as to be totally irrelevant and a waste of time which are truly deserving of the label "clickbait".

If this particular 3rd gen "86" weren't previously discussed in a consistent manner for the last three years from just before the 2nd generation car was even formally on sale yet I wouldn't give it as much credence as I do.

In contrast... the rumors about the Supra MKVI are at this point so all over the place now that I no longer have any handle on whatever it will be or if it will remain in the lineup.

BestCar's same article in which they discuss a 3rd generation GR86 do mention the next generation Supra... but tellingly they have very, very little to actually say about it which suggests to me that at this time they are also uncertain of what to think about it at this time.

At the end of the day we'll know what production models become available when they are released. We're just talking about the probability of this or that model or its approach.

But I don't personally feel that every single hint or rumor of what is potentially coming in the pipeline is automatically bunk and irrelevant. To take ALL of them as some irrefutable truth is not wise either. Some hold more water in part than others do based on what we learn over time and some do not.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah.. I guess I like my information to be more solid before I give it the light of day. As an aside, I hope they discontinue the 86 as every time I see one I just think there's a wanna be Supra.
In that case you'll have to assume no more GR or Lexus performance or enthusiast model generations will come out after 2026 since by that logic there's no way either division is working on anything new.

I'm not sure why Toyota would or should discontinue the GR86 when it's very popular and when the manual versions are just as frequently pre-sold at dealers as the Supra and GR Corolla are. People want a third generation and Toyota seems to have understood that. I own one as my daily and it's a great little driver's car-- very fun to drive, very engaging while also being reasonably practical for a small coupe.

But it's nothing like a Supra, wasn't at all designed to be like a Supra and I certainly don't think of it as one. There isn't a comparison between the two cars. It's more like a modern spiritual successor to the Nissan Silvia but with an NA engine. You're never bored driving it.

When I want a spin around in a car with raw horsepower and torque I hop into my 2JZ-GTE swapped Lexus but that's not a Supra either.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
In that case you'll have to assume no more GR or Lexus performance or enthusiast model generations will come out after 2026 since by that logic there's no way either division is working on anything new.
LMFAO. You really don't get it do you? Just because there is no news circulating the intarwebs doesn't means it is not happening behind closed doors. :crazy:

People want a third generation..
Who cares. I don't, lol.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LMFAO. You really don't get it do you? Just because there is no news circulating the intarwebs doesn't means it is not happening behind closed doors. :crazy:
This was my point all along so I'm glad it finally occurred to you, albeit very belatedly. Bravo sir, bravo. slow clap.

Who cares. I don't, lol.
It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you don't. Others do and they also care about the other cars that GR is developing which has been the purpose of this thread.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
You're never bored driving it.
And just as an aside, I've driven the first generation 86 and it was boring af. My decade and a half old Type R left it for dead in every way. Can't speak for the second generation but I have a Supra so I couldn't care less.

Anyway, enjoy your little conspiracy and rumor thread. Toodles.

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
And just as an aside, I've driven the first generation 86 and it was boring af. My decade and a half old Type R left it for dead in every way. Can't speak for the second generation but I have a Supra so I couldn't care less.

Anyway, enjoy your little conspiracy and rumor thread. Toodles.
I have driven the 1st gen 86 and it's a slow mo tin box that I don't want to sit in it for more than 30 minutes!

Mate, I now own a 2nd gen GR86 and this thing rocks. It drives very differently and leaves any NA Type R (not NSX Type R of course) or S2000 dead in the straight. The 2.4l engine + 50% chassis stiffening made all the difference. The chassis balance is perfection, The rigidity of the chassis is now Golf GTi/R level. It's an extremely fun car to drive.

Stock vs stock the 86 is more fun on twisty roads because of the sportier suspension setup. The Supra's suspension is too soft but I will be doing coilovers to sort it out and it will be a different animal.
Sponsored