Toyota confirmed 3 sports car lineup: Toyota exec wants to bring back Celica, MR2

Which lineup you think will become real at the end of the decade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I heard a rumor that Toyota and BMW is working on another model, based on 2 series.. just a rumor..
Supposedly they are but as to what it is I’ve heard no details.

If they are working on something based on the 2-Series, presumably the RWD version that the next RWD, 450hp manual M2 will come from then this would be good for an A100 Supra.... but I’m just being hopeful with that.

The latest on the next M2:

https://www.motor1.com/news/509154/2023-bmw-m2-specs-rumor/
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota has re-registered the Celica trademark in the U.S. so I think there is hope for a new one in coming years.

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R
Top: GR Supra (with BMW)
Mid: GR 86 (with Subaru)
Entry: GR mid engine sports car co-developed with Suzuki

If you want ALL Toyota, GR Yaris AWD or GR Corolla AWD.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Top: GR Supra (with BMW)
Mid: GR 86 (with Subaru)
Entry: GR mid engine sports car co-developed with Suzuki

If you want ALL Toyota, GR Yaris AWD or GR Corolla AWD.
I can hope that the GR mid engine sports car co-developed with Suzuki won't be a Kei class vehicle. It would be a great Kei vehicle if that turns out to be the case but it would mean the rest of us won't ever see it on sale outside of Japan.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

^^ The same Bestcar article is covered in far greater detail here. The car is happening... but the exact body design is anyone's guess at the moment.

The G16 3-cyl turbo engine getting turned longitudinal for a RWD layout with an in-line hybrid motor and using a Toyota platform which is very likely to be from the aging current Lexus IS has been talked about for a long time now as very likely. The next IS is already being designed after all so Lexus still gets to differentiate their entry level sedan from the GR model.

I'm not sure that I believe the wagon variant rumor. It's possible but less likely. The sedan variant I hate to say it is far more possible if the IS sedan platform is indeed being used since they would have even less work to do redesigning its structure. And... GR reps did hint some months ago that they were considering a potential GR sport sedan model but as usual that one mention is all they have ever made about it.

If they don't focus primarily on the 2+2 two door coupe body style however it would be a cynical 3rd generation car.

My guess is that what we're really looking at with only so much info to go on is the possibility that the 3rd gen car will either be a two door 2+2 coupe again or a four door sporty sedan... but not both. If it is both I'll be pleasantly surprised but I know exactly which one I'd want and that's the two door.

--The G16 turbo engine had a lot of development put into it. Toyota is definitely going to use it in as many models as they can for as long as they can even if it means making it a gas-electric hybrid. This appears to also be what they are doing with the G16 engine in the much more limited production MR2 successor (not the battery EV one that showed as a concept car... the other one that won't be an EV).

--Also the original AE86's 4A-GE twin cam engine was a 1.6L. The G16 is a 1.6L. They would definitely capitalize on that to homage the original 86 engine.

--The current Lexus IS platform still uses basically the same rear drive differential that the current GR86 uses. This diff design has been in use by Toyota since the 1980's with minor updates. This also means diff ratio swapping on the aftermarket will remain very easy right away.

--They are supposed to be drastically shortening the IS platform for this no matter what body style it finally takes. Just over 3,000lbs was an early target for them. Even if this car ends up being on the high side of that ballpark if it has the standard 300hp output combined with a 50hp electric motor that won't be an issue. It will surely drive differently from the 2,850lb 2nd gen car but it'll still be a great driver's car.

--The manual transmission hybrid aspect might actually be a thing. Toyota has been working on this tech already and has patents for their version of it. A further strengthened and case modified version TL-70 Aisin 6-speed from the current car is probably what they will use.

The automatic will definitely be some reworked unit from the Toyota/Lexus parts bin just as the 1st and 2nd gen cars got, only this time with an electric motor sandwiched in.

For either transmission I am very interested to see how Toyota integrates this setup in a longitudinal layout. The Lexus GS450h did it years ago with the electric motors as being an integral part of the transmission. It sounds like they're going for a more separate bolted together setup in this case.

Hopefully the 3rd gen car will be offered as a new 2+2 two door coupe. That's all I really are about personally. A sedan variant would be cool too but hopefully the two door coupe will still be in the offering.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX

^^ The same Bestcar article is covered in far greater detail here. The car is happening... but the exact body design is anyone's guess at the moment.

Hopefully the 3rd gen car will be offered as a new 2+2 two door coupe. That's all I really are about personally. A sedan variant would be cool too but hopefully the two door coupe will still be in the offering.
Based on what Kirk said, they don't want too many coupes in their lineup
Sponsored