Toyota confirmed 3 sports car lineup: Toyota exec wants to bring back Celica, MR2

Discussion in 'General Automotive & Other Vehicle Talk' started by Loyo911, Nov 22, 2014.

?

Which lineup you think will become real at the end of the decade?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2018.
  1. Toyota GT86 , Toyota Gazoo Racing Supra , new Roadster , Toyota Celica , Toyota Corolla GT-Four

20.0%
  2. GT86 , Gazoo Racing Supra , Corolla Gt-Four

60.0%
  3. GT86 , Gazoo Racing Supra , Celica and Corolla GT-Four

20.0%
  1. tfoxyr

tfoxyr Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    suzuki swift sport
    Liked:
    I don't know if it is bad or good but toyota themselves said that the supra will be the last only petrol sports car they will make. For me it is only natural and also brings benefits aside from good fuel consumption (instant torque, better packing). That being said the chances subaru making a mid engine car with toyota are pretty slim i would say.

2. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    Diesel powered MR2?

3. TheFalls

TheFalls Active Member

Car(s):
    Toyota
    Liked:
    Registering the Celica name is awesome . First thing that comes to mind is GT4.
    So far we have confirmation of a Supra 4 banger [outside US] with two power levels then if the GT86 gets a power hike i wonder where it will fit in the line up.

Supra 197bhp
    Supra 255bhp
    GT86 250bhp??? [All speculation here,Will they keep it n/a or go forced induction to gain the extra power]
    IF this happens the GT86 will lose some market share in some countries.
    The only difference being 2+2 and being more practical for some people.

What would differ is that Celica will/may have a turbo four engine and definitely with awd and some trims maybe fwd [ i wouldn't want that though]

Bryster likes this.
  4. MLG Tofu Shop

MLG Tofu Shop Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Goh
    Car(s):
    Toyota Vios
    Liked:
    Are all of you more interested in a Celica GT-FOUR or an MR2 Turbo? I would like to hear your opinions.

Also, what happened to the Yaris homologation rally car? Haven't heard of it since late 2017.

5. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    Tough call there, but I feel that both would like be using the same engine (possibly 8ARFTS as development is already done for race motors etc).

For me personally, it would be a tough one, but I think I'd get the MR2 because I've always wanted an SW20 Turbo and already have my ST205.

The Yaris GRMN was released in the EU only and they sold a few hundred of them iirc. That's all they had planned afaik.

EDIT: missed that you said homologation.I haven't heard anything about that car, but I can always ask. It's likely a ways out though.

6. KahnBB6

KahnBB6 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
    Liked:
    MLG Tofu Shop, for my part I would definitely not say *more* interested in a new MR2, Celica/GT-Four and other possible Toyota brand sportscars under the Supra but I am interested.

Where the Supra will dominate and do performance in its particular way, any of those cars will have their own niches, albeit at lower envelopes and price points.

I’m sure an MR2 would need to be a co-developed platform but I like A70’s theory that the 8ARFTS engine or a variant might be used in some performance Toyota.

Would it be a stretch to imagine the TGNA platform underpinning a new Celica 2+2 coupe with a turbo + AWD variant?

Or even just a similar drivetrain in the new Corolla hatch?

Then there is the question of where the redesigned 86 fits into all of this, if it is indeed coming also.

Seems like Toyota and GRMN have many options to consider as they figure out how to go about fulfilling Akio’s “three brothers” mission.

And I secretly hope there is some long term production overlap beyond just three mainstay sportscars. Maybe that is where the 86 or a hot hatch Corolla (like a spiritual successor to the FX-16) would fit in.

I’m interested in their big picture sports/fun car plan in addition to the Supra GR and GRMN.

They’re sure to eventually start moving in the direction of hybrids and EV’s but as that happens, the more purpose built high performance fun models exist in their lineup the better overall.

The only two “performance” models that don’t interest me in the least are the TRD Camry V6 and the TRD Avalon. Why? Because apart from some suspension tweaks there is nothing different mechanically from their non-TRD counterparts. No additional power, no AWD, no night and day aggressive engine and transmission tuning. It’s the same two cars but with superior suspension tuning... so I guess that’s a plus but at what high additional cost just for that.

2JZ-No-Sh*t and MLG Tofu Shop like this.
  7. GT-Four

GT-Four Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Celica
    Liked:
    Corolla GT-Four. As much as I'd love to see a celica again, I don't think it'll happen.

8. Kleanish

Kleanish Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    98 C43 AMG
    Liked:
    #158 Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    If co-developments are necessary for these cars, an MR2/Alpine 110 would be pretty perfect.

I would love a modern AE86 that is more functional than the gt86. We see this want for suvs and crossovers. Dont take away your fun car and instead join it with car that has mid ground clearance, a big boot, and all the same internals. 90% fun of GT96, 90% capability of small crossovers and wagons.

9. johnny_10196

johnny_10196 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    Ford
    Liked:
  10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
    https://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/...l-in-toyota-s-three-brothers-sports-car-range

2JZ-No-Sh*t, supraboi and Bryster like this.
  11. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked:
    If I were running Toyota.

$20k S-FR badged as a Celica
    $30k MR-2
    $40k I4 Supra
    $50k I6 Supra

12. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
    Liked:
    From Tada's interview i get the feeling that the SZ and SZ-R versions of the Supra are the GT86's successor...
    So maybe the sports lineup will consist of :
    1) GR Super Sports to compete GT-R / NSX
    2) Supra A90 (SZ / SZ-R / RZ and maybe GRMN) to compete with Z / Cayman

13. johnny_10196

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    Ford
    Liked:
    But most markets aren't getting the 4 cylinder. From what I understand it's only the EU and Japan. And even then it will probably still be more expensive than the 86. The issue with the 86 in some market (EU) was the cost.

The GR Super Sports is on a whole different level. BestCar said it would be a limited production car and cost around a million dollars and battle with other hype cars like the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE and Aston Martin Valkyrie. I wouldn't count this as one of the "3 brothers".

14. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    It actually is one of the 3 brothers now that the SFR is dead

15. johnny_10196

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    Ford
    Liked:
    Ok.. I didn't bring up the S-FR because it isn't relevant. The latest reports said a 2nd gen 86 is coming. Then we have the Supra and Toyota has been hinting at a new MR-2. There is the 3 brothers.

Again, according to BestCar, the GR Super Sports if it even goes into production will be around million dollars and will be a limited run. Like around 100 units. It will be here and gone before you know it.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...d-generation-toyota-86-sports-car-132193.html

Bryster likes this.