Toyota confirmed 3 sports car lineup: Toyota exec wants to bring back Celica, MR2

Which lineup you think will become real at the end of the decade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/newcar/2925

Copen GR appended Autumn in 2019

I got a further detailed report on Daihatsu's light open sports, Copen-based GR model.

At the beginning of the project, as a compact car registration by wide fendering, there seemed to be movement, such as installing inline 3-cylinder 1L turbo, but minimize the change point based on the development concept of selling price down to 2.5 million yen or less It seems that it became a policy to stop.

At the same time, in order to suppress the deterioration of fuel consumption, it was suppressed to a large extent change of exterior design, change of the front and rear bumper, front grill design so that it was to be limited to the change of the tire size so that the standard car copy of 165 / 50R16 is adopted. The base of GR Copen will be "S" grade with MOMO steering, Recaro seat, BBS wheel. Sheet epidermis etc will follow the design image of GR brand uniform. Appearance is planned next November, 2019.

As for the engine, there is no big change, and 3,660 cc turbo is mounted as it is. Since this model is "GR" to the last, I would like to expect large tuning including engine change to "GRMN" model.
Toyota new model GR (Toyota version of formal car name has not yet been grasped but base is Copen / predicted CG)
%E3%82%B3%E3%83%98%E3%82%9A%E3%83%B3GR.jpg
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Unpopular opinion: Front wheel drive can be fun as all hell and can be fast af in the right hands. Look up William Au-Yeung and his PZTuning Civic if you don't believe me. He'll kick anyone's ass on any track in his Civic. Also, see: Civic Type R, Integra Type R, Classic Mini, etc etc

That little Copen looks awesome, but I'll take a GRMN Yaris over that. That thing is freaking cool. Sadly, we'll never get them in the states.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Also the Mighty mouse CRX time attack car... I am not a fan of Hondas in general, but that thing left my jaw on the floor.

I prefer RWD, but FWD can be an awesome, awesome package. I've got a Renault RS Megane 265 (as well as 4 RWD cars) and it is a phenomenal little toy.

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
Meh, the world has enough underpowered sports cars. We need more in the 400plus range

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ The world has plenty of 400hp+ sports cars. I don't think those are really in short supply at this time honestly. They all often run $45k-$85k... which is their market.

At least in the United States it's hard to find many brand new non-front-wheel-drive sports cars... with manual transmissions... that are actually designed to be affordable but capable driver's cars. Assuming Toyota keeps the GT86 around, does a bit more with the 2019 Corolla 6MT model, and adds a Celica GT-Four and MR2 and maybe even the S-FR... these can only be good options at the lower price points than, say.... a swath of CVT crossovers or CVT Corollas and CVT Nissan Versas. Driving those is akin to driving LG refrigerators on wheels.

From Toyota there should be affordable sports car and sports compact non-FWD options below a $65k+ Supra. At the moment the GT86 is the only other option and I'm glad even that is available.

The Supra MKV, even if it does come with only 380hp from the factory, is directly intended for people to modify them for more power (CGI engine block, Yahama designed cylinder head, possibly port *and* direct injection, strengthened chassis and an ECU that the designers intend for tuner firms to hack and flash tune). That model easily will have the 400hp++ category covered with a little massaging.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
If Toyota wanted to make a new AWD Celica the logical partner would be Subaru.

@A70TTR, who would Toyota turn to for a new MR-2? Lotus?

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
You seem to forget about the GR Super Sports Concept revealed recently.
That will be the high end car of the line.
GR Supers Sports - Supra - 86.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
You seem to forget about the GR Super Sports Concept revealed recently.
That will be the high end car of the line.
GR Supers Sports - Supra - 86.
No one forgot, but that's going to be a limited million dollar hype car. What Tada has said in the past is 3 sports car for the mass. A larger car to sit above the 86 (Supra) and a smaller one below it (MR-2?).
Sponsored