Toyota confirmed 3 sports car lineup: Toyota exec wants to bring back Celica, MR2

Which lineup you think will become real at the end of the decade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Like most people here I'd love more than anything to see a non-collab, purely Toyota MR2, but if they had to collab with anyone, Porsche would be pretty cool. Back to the Celica, there just isn't really a market for a cheap FF sports car and FR is already covered by the 86.
The porsche collab would likely not happen considering the focus and ability to share parts would be impossible without everyone losing their minds.

But if Toyota is able to make a hybrid engine based off the TS050 v6, detuned mind you, would make for a fun, peppy car. Plus, can you imagine the marketing as your own little ts050 in convertible form? For 37k or such and with equal hp and torque? 200-200 hp/torque?
Sponsored

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
The porsche collab would likely not happen considering the focus and ability to share parts would be impossible without everyone losing their minds.

But if Toyota is able to make a hybrid engine based off the TS050 v6, detuned mind you, would make for a fun, peppy car. Plus, can you imagine the marketing as your own little ts050 in convertible form? For 37k or such and with equal hp and torque? 200-200 hp/torque?
Extreme overkill....

That being said, Toyota has been working on a hybrid MR2 for a looong time now. Been through at least 3 revisions in concept/prototype form. In fact, if you go as far back as the 2004 Alessandro Volta concept, one could believe that they've had this in mind for almost a decade and a half.

I think a hybrid MR2 would slot in nicely between the 86 (or whatever replaces it) and the Supra. Would be a nice accessible "poor mans" version to the GR Super Sport, because I'm pretty sure that will go deeeep into 6 figure territory and be very limited in numbers.

GR Sports Hybrid - 400hp (3.3 V6 AWD Hybrid) This was from when Naruse was still around.
01-toyota-mr2-sports-hybrid.jpg

GR Sports Hybrid Concept 2 (3.5 V6 AWD Hybrid)
Carscoop-Toyota-GRMN-Concept-644341.jpg

TE Sports 800 Concept (1.5 4cyl hybrid)
toyota_te_spyder_800_l.jpg

I had some pics of a suspected prototype in testing from quite a few years aback.... widened MRS chassis, camo clad, but I'd have to dig pretty deep in my archive to find those.... i.e. I'm not going to look.

Will it ever be a reality.. who knows.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
If toyota starts working on a celica, do you think they would go the awd route?

rtoadyt

First Name
Reto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
If toyota starts working on a celica, do you think they would go the awd route?
I would love that and I think it would make sense. Corolla is the fwd hot hatch, supra and 86 fr, mr2 and ss mr, celica would be a great addition, especially with rally now bumping it's power allowance every year. I imagine Corolla as competitor to golf and civic, 86 competitor to mx5, mr2 as competitor to 718, supra competitor to vantage, ss competitor to project one and Valkyrie, Celica certainly has a slot somewhere in all of that.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://response.jp/article/2018/06/26/311222.html

1315605.jpg

"S-FR" is Scrapped! What is Toyota's new compact sports development plan?

We got the latest information on Toyota Sports Car Project with "Supra" at the top. It is planned to be a "big", "medium" and "small" three brothers, centered on "86", but the marketing of "S - FR" which was supposed to be "small" was not reported. However, the existence of a new compact sport replacing this S - FR has emerged.

Toyota first public displayed the S-FR at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2015. Also equipped with a front mask that feels cuteness on a compact body, it was also reported as a "Toyota Sports 800" successor, which was released from 1965 to 1969, also known as "Yotahati". It is a pity that we made it blank as it became a topic, but what kind of thing would it be like an alternative model to this?

At the scoop site Spyder 7, simultaneously with the information on the start of development of the new type of compact sports, we got information on its exterior design independently. Based on this, I made an anticipated CG with expectation.

I'd like to expect the silhouette to be compact and rounded catchy from the viewpoint as it is still a bit like. The front mask emphasizes sporty feeling with a wide under grill while keeping the essence of Keen Look. The side character line gives continuity from the front fender to the rear fender and appeals the overhanging feeling. It created a compact but powerful image.

Driving method is FR. There are multiple pieces of information on powertrain, but we can not conclude, but there is a possibility that cooperation with BMW which co-developed with Supra can be seen here as well. Is a 1.5-liter inline 3-cylinder engine and a 1.6-liter in-line 4-cylinder engine loaded by BMW "i8" possible?

Although it is unknown when to expect it, it may be possible to see the concept model at the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
"Scrapped" probably just means redesign. Like FT-1 to GR Supra and FT-86 to FT-86 II. Something more production ready.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
There's probably nothing to back it up, but I love the image they show there. Looks like it could be a shared platform with the Miata RF, which would be hilarious to add another shared sports car to the lineup, but I really hope they do this one on their own, or at least have a Toyota engine in it.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There's probably nothing to back it up, but I love the image they show there. Looks like it could be a shared platform with the Miata RF, which would be hilarious to add another shared sports car to the lineup, but I really hope they do this one on their own, or at least have a Toyota engine in it.
Doubt it.

It looks like big daddy camry had a baby with the slim 86 and came out with a mixture of the two. Same face, but body of the 86.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
They already have a 3 tier sports car line up.. corolla SE, Camry XSE and Avalon SE. it’s the toyota’s Pathetic way of defining sporty cars!!

Don’t expect anything else that makes sense.. 60k 3300lb 335hp is an expensive RWD Camry.
Sponsored