Toyota confirmed 3 sports car lineup: Toyota exec wants to bring back Celica, MR2

Which lineup you think will become real at the end of the decade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
Umm guys how did I suddenly end up on this thread? That post I made was on another thread.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/supra-grmn-toyota-sports-car/

The Celica and MR2 could make a comeback
The Supra isnā€™t the only famous Toyota nameplate that could make a comeback. Tada grins when quizzed about a possible return for the Celica and MR2: ā€œIā€™m often asked that, and we get many requests.

ā€œWeā€™re committed to sports cars and Gazoo Racing means we have more resources for developing them. Weā€™ll investigate what cars to introduce in-future, but this company set-up shows where we want to go.ā€

rtoadyt

First Name
Reto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
If the mr2 is slotting in between supra and gt86, where will celica be slotted in? (If there even are any plans to bring it back)

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
If the mr2 is slotting in between supra and gt86, where will celica be slotted in? (If there even are any plans to bring it back)
It will be one or the other and my guess is MR2/MR-S successor. Rumors are the next gen 86 will get a slight power bump. Most likely from a normally aspirated version of Subaru's new 2.4L boxer engine. If they can get 100HP/L again that would be good for about 240HP. This would allow them to slot in a 265-280HP convertible between the 86 and Supra coupes. I say convertible because it would allow them to bring in a different market share and still have the three sports car lineup they want. No reason for another coupe in the middle that would cannibalize sales from the top end 86 and base Supra. They'll probably go for a cheaper boxster instead.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Too many cars, not enough significant differentiation. Won't happen. There is no indication of next Generation GT86. Should there be any, it is unlikely to be all new. As for MR2, Lotus got sold to the Chinese.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Too many cars, not enough significant differentiation. Won't happen. There is no indication of next Generation GT86. Should there be any, it is unlikely to be all new. As for MR2, Lotus got sold to the Chinese.
Therefore?

greaseman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx7 FC
As much as I'd like to see it, I don't see the Celica coming back anytime soon. Unless there was some news about it I missed out on.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As much as I'd like to see it, I don't see the Celica coming back anytime soon. Unless there was some news about it I missed out on.
Celica would have to be a frankenstein of honda engines like a kei and a aws suspension by Subaru to work unless they want to make it a ff, which wouldn't be the route they'd take I believe.

Or fuck it, go collab with Porsche so an mr2 can be done using boxer tech and mid engine blueprints

greaseman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx7 FC
Celica would have to be a frankenstein of honda engines like a kei and a aws suspension by Subaru to work unless they want to make it a ff, which wouldn't be the route they'd take I believe.

Or fuck it, go collab with Porsche so an mr2 can be done using boxer tech and mid engine blueprints
Like most people here I'd love more than anything to see a non-collab, purely Toyota MR2, but if they had to collab with anyone, Porsche would be pretty cool. Back to the Celica, there just isn't really a market for a cheap FF sports car and FR is already covered by the 86.
Sponsored