Toyota confirmed 3 sports car lineup: Toyota exec wants to bring back Celica, MR2

Which lineup you think will become real at the end of the decade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
yeah they indeed said they wanted the 86 in the middle many times. That though cannot happen with the place the 86 currently has in the market. If the lower tier car is too slow it will not be a sports car , if the lower car is close to 86 then there is no point in having both cars in lineup. I believe the new car will be revealed after the 2nd gen 86 so toyota can upmarket it in time. My guess is about 2023 with around 170 hp , the thing that is very hard to predict though is the layout , if they go mid engine ala mr2 it will probably be expensive , if they go FF it will not be a true fun sports car , the only routes i see now is rwd or awd with front engine.

J90_Dreamer

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Versa
yeah they indeed said they wanted the 86 in the middle many times. That though cannot happen with the place the 86 currently has in the market. If the lower tier car is too slow it will not be a sports car , if the lower car is close to 86 then there is no point in having both cars in lineup. I believe the new car will be revealed after the 2nd gen 86 so toyota can upmarket it in time. My guess is about 2023 with around 170 hp , the thing that is very hard to predict though is the layout , if they go mid engine ala mr2 it will probably be expensive , if they go FF it will not be a true fun sports car , the only routes i see now is rwd or awd with front engine.
The S-FR when it was first announced was speculated to be sub $20k. The car was revealed in a near-production status, and even now it's listed as a "pre-production concept".

So I'm pretty sure to say that once the Supra is out, the S-FR will be the 3rd car.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong. but just looking at the clues it wouldn't make much sense to make a drivable concept that close to production and then start anew.

Last edited:

Death666wish_

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mitsubishi lancer 5-speed (out of commission), 1991 Firebird Formula (out of commission), 2008 Toyota Camry
Weren't they ending the 86's production?

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Electric compact sportscars make alot of sense. Sportscars are not road trip cars, so the range is less of an issue. Being smaller and simpler, the weight of the battery can also be kept low. Daily communting is boring, changing gears is not fun (not disturbing for me personally), but no gears electric acceleration does not have the same issue automatics have. Also, being small compact and agile is a plus for city driving. BEVs could be the revival of small compact sports cars. Being electric they would even have practical storage space for small shopping (not reserve shopping).

That SF-R render looks so great. A mix of Porsche and Alfa in a fairly pricehigh quality Toyota package. A win!

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
I don't know if it is bad or good but toyota themselves said that the supra will be the last only petrol sports car they will make. For me it is only natural and also brings benefits aside from good fuel consumption (instant torque, better packing). That being said the chances subaru making a mid engine car with toyota are pretty slim i would say.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I don't know if it is bad or good but toyota themselves said that the supra will be the last only petrol sports car they will make. For me it is only natural and also brings benefits aside from good fuel consumption (instant torque, better packing). That being said the chances subaru making a mid engine car with toyota are pretty slim i would say.
Diesel powered MR2?

TheFalls

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
Registering the Celica name is awesome . First thing that comes to mind is GT4.
So far we have confirmation of a Supra 4 banger [outside US] with two power levels then if the GT86 gets a power hike i wonder where it will fit in the line up.

Supra 197bhp
Supra 255bhp
GT86 250bhp??? [All speculation here,Will they keep it n/a or go forced induction to gain the extra power]
IF this happens the GT86 will lose some market share in some countries.
The only difference being 2+2 and being more practical for some people.

What would differ is that Celica will/may have a turbo four engine and definitely with awd and some trims maybe fwd [ i wouldn't want that though]

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
Are all of you more interested in a Celica GT-FOUR or an MR2 Turbo? I would like to hear your opinions.

Also, what happened to the Yaris homologation rally car? Haven't heard of it since late 2017.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Tough call there, but I feel that both would like be using the same engine (possibly 8ARFTS as development is already done for race motors etc).

For me personally, it would be a tough one, but I think I'd get the MR2 because I've always wanted an SW20 Turbo and already have my ST205.

The Yaris GRMN was released in the EU only and they sold a few hundred of them iirc. That's all they had planned afaik.

EDIT: missed that you said homologation.I haven't heard anything about that car, but I can always ask. It's likely a ways out though.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
MLG Tofu Shop, for my part I would definitely not say *more* interested in a new MR2, Celica/GT-Four and other possible Toyota brand sportscars under the Supra but I am interested.

Where the Supra will dominate and do performance in its particular way, any of those cars will have their own niches, albeit at lower envelopes and price points.

I’m sure an MR2 would need to be a co-developed platform but I like A70’s theory that the 8ARFTS engine or a variant might be used in some performance Toyota.

Would it be a stretch to imagine the TGNA platform underpinning a new Celica 2+2 coupe with a turbo + AWD variant?

Or even just a similar drivetrain in the new Corolla hatch?

Then there is the question of where the redesigned 86 fits into all of this, if it is indeed coming also.

Seems like Toyota and GRMN have many options to consider as they figure out how to go about fulfilling Akio’s “three brothers” mission.

And I secretly hope there is some long term production overlap beyond just three mainstay sportscars. Maybe that is where the 86 or a hot hatch Corolla (like a spiritual successor to the FX-16) would fit in.

I’m interested in their big picture sports/fun car plan in addition to the Supra GR and GRMN.

They’re sure to eventually start moving in the direction of hybrids and EV’s but as that happens, the more purpose built high performance fun models exist in their lineup the better overall.

The only two “performance” models that don’t interest me in the least are the TRD Camry V6 and the TRD Avalon. Why? Because apart from some suspension tweaks there is nothing different mechanically from their non-TRD counterparts. No additional power, no AWD, no night and day aggressive engine and transmission tuning. It’s the same two cars but with superior suspension tuning... so I guess that’s a plus but at what high additional cost just for that.
Sponsored