Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2012
Thanks for this information! Very useful for me.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I wonder how long the charge will last under repeated hard track use? But an even bigger concern, mass adoption for daily use. How will our power grids be able to handle charging all these electric vehicles?

Tesla asks Texans not to charge their car to avoid overloading national grid | The Independent

And this is with < 1% of vehicles being electric in Texas 🤔
This is where Porsche's battery R&D and QuantumScape's R&D (soon to be battery supplier to Volkswagen and Porsche) in solid state battery cells should come in. What they are doing with these prototypes you cannot do well with a compact-ish conventional lithium-ion battery pack. At least not without the compromises already seen in the Taycan models. The drivelines in those cars are very good... but are not yet in the territory of being able to fill the shoes of the Cayman and 911 especially for repeated hard track use.

The industry is on the verge of another leap in battery technologies that are not quite ready for mass production right now... but they will be within 4-5 years.

As for the charging infrastructure issue... I don't know how Texas will be handling it in the short term but in the long term this is going to be addressed with some expensive investment into grid upgrades gradually over time across the country.

In the case of Tesla... that company has so much control over their chargers they could easily just throttle the max number of amps allowed during peak hours. This means Supercharging wouldn't be available and thus you'd have to sit even longer to charge up your car. Maybe they're already doing that and at the same time are asking people to only plug into their chargers if they absolutely need to precisely for that reason?

We're at the early stages in all of this. The inferior, heavy and large size battery technology, motors, charging infrastructure and overall electrical grid are going to see a lot of changes and improvements over the next 10-15 years.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
This is where Porsche's battery R&D and QuantumScape's R&D (soon to be battery supplier to Volkswagen and Porsche) in solid state battery cells should come in. What they are doing with these prototypes you cannot do well with a compact-ish conventional lithium-ion battery pack. At least not without the compromises already seen in the Taycan models. The drivelines in those cars are very good... but are not yet in the territory of being able to fill the shoes of the Cayman and 911 especially for repeated hard track use.

The industry is on the verge of another leap in battery technologies that are not quite ready for mass production right now... but they will be within 4-5 years.

As for the charging infrastructure issue... I don't know how Texas will be handling it in the short term but in the long term this is going to be addressed with some expensive investment into grid upgrades gradually over time across the country.

In the case of Tesla... that company has so much control over their chargers they could easily just throttle the max number of amps allowed during peak hours. This means Supercharging wouldn't be available and thus you'd have to sit even longer to charge up your car. Maybe they're already doing that and at the same time are asking people to only plug into their chargers if they absolutely need to precisely for that reason?

We're at the early stages in all of this. The inferior, heavy and large size battery technology, motors, charging infrastructure and overall electrical grid are going to see a lot of changes and improvements over the next 10-15 years.
Well said Sir, well said…. You sound way more qualified (and better thought) to run our department of transportation than the current clown 🤡 chasing after “racist” roads lol

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well said Sir, well said…. You sound way more qualified (and better thought) to run our department of transportation than the current clown 🤡 chasing after “racist” roads lol
I'm in NO way qualified for a job like that. Not a chance. I'm just another enthusiast like you who reads the trades to see what the auto industry seems be doing and what all the options and trends are going forward. The electric shift is happening slowly and surely but it's definitely not going to stay as it is right now.

The latest news on the EV Lexus LFA prototype is one very interesting example (simulated manual transmission in the experimental stage, individual motors at each wheel, etc.). So is what Porsche, Hyundai, Yamaha and Rimac/Bugatti are doing to name a few others. Dodge might even surprise us a bit (*might*-- we'll see regarding them...). They all have some interesting approaches to EV implementation that are very not-Tesla in character.

It's not a topic I want to get into here much on a Supra forum but with that Texas I-45 project... I don't have a problem with him managing that issue as it isn't even close to being a completed project yet and certainly isn't the first such project to displace people of color. The decades long Interstate-4 expansion in Orlando FL is a pretty similar case but it's a very done deal now-- nothing that can be done about that as far as I can tell. Nothing wrong with better road works planning that is far more fair to people.

His duties go into MANY areas of infrastructure repair and expansion that we've needed very badly for a long time. With the bipartisan bill passed recently there is now funding for him to start getting some things done. He's barely started following that after all.

I can't remember where the article or video news clip was that I read/saw where he stated this but I believe he said something along the lines of building out a certain high percentage of public charging stations funded with government money along key routes while at the same time working with private businesses (such as Electrify America and others) to cover tremendously more area than that.

And that's before factoring in home chargers (for those folks who are lucky enough to own a home or rent a home that has a charger on site). Also he's got to address the issue of preexisting rental apartments, some of which are as old as the 1930's-1980's which need to be retrofitted with a charger in every parking space, street chargers, etc. I believe some of that falls into the category of state and county municipalities and ordinances but... whatever and whoever is responsible at whatever level... apartment parking spaces and street parking areas need chargers too.

Again I don't have an article link handy to post here but last I heard him speak on the subject with an interviewer he stated that the target goal was to build chargers along road routes with 800V fast charging capability built in so that the establishment of 800V as a standard is invested into early BEFORE most new EV vehicles are built with the same compatibility. That's good forward thinking because going to just 240V or 400V charging standards as they are right now is not going to be enough in a few years as the vehicles improve year by year.

Anyway it's a gargantuan project just with chargers alone. It's going to take many years to build it out between government and partnered private company investment. But it'll get there.

On the power generation side in addition to existing powerplants and various renewables we're sure to see a slight expansion of nuclear power plants and improvements to existing nuclear power plants. Thankfully *most* of the nuclear fission technology in service today is a hell of a lot better than what it used to be, so long as it's funded and maintained well.

There are also LFTR (Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor) designs which have been tested and refined for years but which we haven't put into practical service in the USA yet. Those are incapable of any traditional meltdown situation that we've grown accustomed to being concerned with. Those will probably become common at some point and help as well.

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
This car sounds like tinnitus on wheels. Hopefully they dial it down for the final version.
RIP my ears from that video.
This. I couldn't even keep the audio on for the full lap... had to mute. To me that's the biggest problem with EV sound vs. ICE sound. Even the "brassiest" exhaust tones from a 4 banger sound positively sublime in comparison. Maybe if I wore a helmet every time I drove it.

Luckily it's much easier to insulate and damp higher frequencies from invading the cabin... so it's just the poor bastards walking on the street when you fly by that will suffer. I love how it looks and how it drives (or at least looks like it drives)... but that sound is like getting teeth drilled.

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ To each their own. It certainly is loud in the high pitched sound range. But I'd argue that it's still better to have that kind of sound than almost NO sound (as with some luxury or economy EVs)... or stupid artificially generated sound that doesn't have anything to do with the movement of the actual driveline components.

Actual driveline sound is part of (not all of) what makes a unique performance vehicle exciting. What's currently on sale that uses fake sound generators (Mach E, Taycan, etc.) or deadens as much sound as possible (Teslas, EU-only new Fiat 500 EV) both have their own downsides.

I love nice internal combustion exhaust notes. 3cyl inline, 4cyl inline, 4cyl boxer, 5cyl inline (especially the old Audi Quattro 5cyl engines) Porsche flat-6, 6cyl inline, V-8, 8cyl inline, V-10, V-12, W-12, W-16, etc.

Some other innate qualities have to be baked into fun/performance EVs that gives us something not the same but similar in the sense of there being sound that changes in pitch with acceleration.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
This is the first EV I'm more than a little interested in. With any luck they'll produce a base model with a battery pack that isn't focused on range to keep the weight down.
Sponsored