Would You Drive An EV Tesla?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
If VW doesn't decide to sell their EV successor to the Golf GTI in the U.S. and Canada then they're dead to me.

There is NO reason not to sell this thing here when it's production ready. Especially after nonchalantly announcing that the manual versions of the GTI and Golf R will be cancelled forever after this year.

Just lose the onerous extra touchscreen and windshield display and give it a classic instrumentation area over the steering wheel with its own screen (much like the GR86).

Deciding not to offer enthusiast EVs like this one just turns off those of us who aren't interested in their other crossover-ish boring vehicles.

Hopefully the dust will clear and VW will announce sales for North America after all.

https://jalopnik.com/the-vw-id-gti-is-an-electric-hot-hatch-we-probably-won-1850804817

d776ebe62394caaa4851d475ba075053.jpg

Last edited:

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If VW doesn't decide to sell their EV successor to the Golf GTI in the U.S. and Canada then they're dead to me.

There is NO reason not to sell this thing here when it's production ready. Especially after nonchalantly announcing that the manual versions of the GTI and Gold R will be cancelled forever after this year.

Just lose the onerous extra touchscreen and windshield display and give it a classic instrumentation area over the steering wheel with its own screen (much like the GR86).

Deciding not to offer enthusiast EVs like this one just turns off those of us who aren't interested in their other crossover-ish boring vehicles.

Hopefully the dust will clear and VW will announce sales for North America after all.

https://jalopnik.com/the-vw-id-gti-is-an-electric-hot-hatch-we-probably-won-1850804817

d776ebe62394caaa4851d475ba075053.jpg
Im hoping, they bring it also. People say they want this or that though and then when a company releases something that is geared more towards enthusiasts they get clowned. Dodge with their Banshee concept, which now reports are the new Charger EV is going to look a lot like it, all people could do was bitch and moan and complain. If I was a suit in there id be like fuck it, here is your crossover. The sounds of the electric motors were gimmicky but that's so many peoples complaints no sound. they are trying something.

I do hope soon we will have more enthusiast EV's available and will be tinkering with maps and "tunes" to try and extract more power then what the OEMs got. Everything can be tweaked. Just gotta have the know how.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Im hoping, they bring it also. People say they want this or that though and then when a company releases something that is geared more towards enthusiasts they get clowned. Dodge with their Banshee concept, which now reports are the new Charger EV is going to look a lot like it, all people could do was bitch and moan and complain. If I was a suit in there id be like fuck it, here is your crossover. The sounds of the electric motors were gimmicky but that's so many peoples complaints no sound. they are trying something.

I do hope soon we will have more enthusiast EV's available and will be tinkering with maps and "tunes" to try and extract more power then what the OEMs got. Everything can be tweaked. Just gotta have the know how.
Aside from the glass roof and their intent to monopolize modification I liked the Daytona EV coupe. The original sound they debuted it with by amplifying and resonating the sounds of the EV motors and inverters themselves was spot in IMO. Amplifying actual noise that the driveline makes is the right way.

Their second iteration of the vehicle sound was completely stupid. They simulated V8 sounds with artificial noise. If there is no V8 then why do this? Stupid.

Ferrari among others let it be known that they are taking a similar approach by amplifying the sound of their EV motors and inverters.

In the GTI and Golf R cases they have just killed off (after one more year from now) all manual editions. Almost half of all buyers in the U.S. opt for the manual. It won't be long before the automatic GTI and Golf R editions also get discontinued due to too high CO2 emissions.... so logically you would keep offering the next generation version of this niche enthusiast model, right?

People who buy these types of cars aren't going to go for CVT crossovers. Some of them will buy whatever is left in the same category as an ICE regardless of what transmission it has but eventually the options will be all hybrid gas-electric or all full BEV... so the Golf GTI electric and such variants are just as important for VW as is their EV microbus and whatever else they offer which has distinctive appeal to not just everyone but to the right people who generate buzz for their brand.

At the end of the day enthusiasts still want fun cars built for them and the manufacturers, at least when they aren't in dire straits like Mitsubishi is, still want to sell some of the hotrod models they are famous for and which they are proud of.

Dodge will sell their new version of their muscle coupe too. I just question how well their monopolized "you pay to unlock features that the hardware you bought is already capable of" dealer offered performance upgrade plan will actually go for them.

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is worth a watch to get some partial handle on how Toyota is restructuring itself as they enter the electrified era.

Their emphasis on software first before hardware seems a bit reversed from how it should be.

But this push to make Toyota more “Tesla-like” isn’t a selling point IMO. From Toyota I want the polar opposite approach to EV design, interior, interface and driving experience compared to how Tesla handles their vehicles.

Toyota has to change in order to survive and continue succeeding as a major automaker but I hope they do this in their own way.

Last edited:

ashari

First Name
Adithya
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra 3.0 Premium, C43 AMG, Range Rover Velar
Different but fun in its own way.

I own a 2023 Model 3 Performance and had a 2019 Model 3 Standard Range and I will always recommend it to others. I never had any issues with the car, no “panel gaps” and FSD has been a dream. The model 3 is quite literally the perfect daily, not to mention that MSRP on my specific one was 72k and I bought it in the 30s brand new (tax not included).

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
This is worth a watch to get some partial handle on how Toyota is restructuring itself as they enter the electrified era.

Their emphasis on software first before hardware seems a bit reversed from how it should be.

But this push to make Toyota more “Tesla-like” isn’t a selling point IMO. From Toyota I want the polar opposite approach to EV design, interior, interface and driving experience compared to how Tesla handles their vehicles.

Toyota has to change in order to survive and continue succeeding as a major automaker but I hope this they do this in their own way.

I get the SW though. When you holistically look at EVs and the future, and actually not even future, past decade with more electronic controls on everything in the car even in ICE itself and hydrogen, I cannot blame them for being more tech oriented.
It brings more control and stricter emissions are forcing for companies to even look for 0.0000001 gram CO2 improvement (made up number)
So we have owned EVs to shared driverless EVs in the future. You either acquire a company or JV or pay royalty on patents for level 6.
I mean it's not the same thing at all but damn Honda just gave up and will use Tesla charger as well..
Become a leader and have others follow suit should be Toyotas goal to be a leader...

Also, movement away from CarPlay... We're glued to our screens. Apart from the inconvenience of sub-sub-sub menus to change a simple setting, not so many people complain about touch screen.. (Tesla's not-at-all driver oriented screen is crap).
So, like the Ford boss said, Tesla makes things mostly in-house giving them the ability to fully integrate all components. ECU, BDU, VCU, TCU, ABC, EFG.. heck, Toyota doesn't own any nor have full control on any as in SW control among others. What happens is, go for sourcing, RFI, RFQ, go do exchanges over countless worthless meetings, language barriers, bad suppliers, etc. Your dev time is thousand years to change x=1 to x<1.
To cut down on dev times and to be able to control all aspects to either give full power or conserve or give better battery estimate you need great CAN/LIN communication and control... what better way than having in-house SMEs that can figure out when they're running out of disk space and when to clear logs. 🤣

Finally, obviously battery/cell SoC, SoH, etc. extremely dependant on charge/discharge current, temperature, etc. getting and reacting to all these properly.... thru SW/FW control..

// random thoughts off

koby

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90M/T AP2 964 993 458 720S D110 RS6 E30M3 FJC
we own an EV and it serves its purpose well enough. fills the gap where a cheap and cheerful utility car is needed for errands and local commutes. would not describe the drive as "fun" and certainly wont replace any of my petrol cars. acceleration is fast but the weight of the car is noticeable everywhere else and the drive itself doesn't have much engagement.

regardless, its the way forward and has its spot. and the missus likes the idea, so...

electric gti looks fun enough. would probably get one if it comes to NA
Sponsored