Going catless to reduce drone?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
When it comes down to it, the Fi as an exhaust when compared to an OEM system is pretty ideal. It hits all the right notes, but for my specific tastes, it's a little on the quiet side and doesn't get anywhere as rowdy as I'd like. It is definitely an exhaust that perfectly shows off the characteristic note from an inline 6.

Going off just clips, but the difference in resonated touring vs unresonated touring seems to be more of a tonal change, but that's apples to peaches considering you have a track exhaust.
Assuming youā€™re also going for a look. I went straight for sound. If you really want rowdy, you wonā€™t be sorry with the AWE track. It sounds great!!
Sponsored

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
I haven't ever heard a complaint about drone with the AWE Touring (either res or non-res) so I am shocked. I think they also claimed the car droned with the AA Catted DP and OEM exhaust, which in my opinion sounds great and is still quite tame!
I have an AA DP and just ordered AWE resonated touring to replace an MBRP because of drone. I hope I made the right choice. Iā€™m going to be pissed if itā€™s just as bad.

edit: from reading this thread Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that the AA DP is most likely the drone problem but I could be wrong.

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
I have an AA DP and just ordered AWE resonated touring to replace an MBRP because of drone. I hope I made the right choice. Iā€™m going to be pissed if itā€™s just as bad.

edit: from reading this thread Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that the AA DP is most likely the drone problem but I could be wrong.
AA DP + Non Res Touring is loud with no drone. Youā€™ll be fine mate

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Let us know how it turns out! Still toying with the touring conversion as well :)

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Let us know how it turns out! Still toying with the touring conversion as well :)
Will do. But as of right now I think itā€™s the AA DP that might be causing the drone. I hope Iā€™m wrong because this purchase delayed my wheels powder coat and new steering wheel w/upgraded paddle shifters.
The car did not sound like with when it was tuned and had a catless DP. Donā€™t know if it was the tune or the catless DP

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Will do. But as of right now I think itā€™s the AA DP that might be causing the drone. I hope Iā€™m wrong because this purchase delayed my wheels powder coat and new steering wheel w/upgraded paddle shifters.
The car did not sound like with when it was tuned and had a catless DP. Donā€™t know if it was the tune or the catless DP
I bet sheā€™ll sound better after going to Barber šŸ šŸ

cbrummell

First Name
carson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 nitro yellow supra 3.0 premium

i have resonated AWE touring with custom 3.5 inch catless downpipe and the car is tame when cruising there is no drone! i think some people don't understand the difference between drone and just being able to hear the exhaust while driving...

i don't understand people in this thread talking about how the added a downpipe AND an exhaust that both make their car louder, then complain about how they can hear the exhaust while they're driving now :dunno:šŸ˜­

my genesis coupe 3.8 had cat deletes and a straight pipe and that car had SERIOUS brain rattling drone, you could feel the pressure in your ears and the vibrations in the car at 120km/h...

110 or 130 were your options for cruising, but if you want loud or "rowdy" then there will be more noise cruising too with any car. It's an inevitable trade off

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i have resonated AWE touring with custom 3.5 inch catless downpipe and the car is tame when cruising there is no drone! i think some people don't understand the difference between drone and just being able to hear the exhaust while driving...

i don't understand people in this thread talking about how the added a downpipe AND an exhaust that both make their car louder, then complain about how they can hear the exhaust while they're driving now :dunno:šŸ˜­

my genesis coupe 3.8 had cat deletes and a straight pipe and that car had SERIOUS brain rattling drone, you could feel the pressure in your ears and the vibrations in the car at 120km/h...

110 or 130 were your options for cruising, but if you want loud or "rowdy" then there will be more noise cruising too with any car. It's an inevitable trade off

Because you quoted my post I assume youā€™re referring to me when mentioning people who complain. Iā€™m not complaining. Iā€™m taking an action to remedy an issue with my current exhaust set up. I do understand the difference between drone and the sound of a loud or aggressively toned exhaust inside the cabin of the car and outside. I also understand the difference between those who are looking for or satisfied with a more aggressive sound and dickheads who would like nothing more than to flaunt an obnoxious exhaust for attention. From reading your post, I can surmise you are the latter. Furthermore, I donā€™t care about your 3.8 genesis straight pipe shit box on wheels. It has no relevance to the conversation other than to support my first impression of you.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Because you quoted my post I assume youā€™re referring to me when mentioning people who complain. Iā€™m not complaining. Iā€™m taking an action to remedy an issue with my current exhaust set up. I do understand the difference between drone and the sound of a loud or aggressively toned exhaust inside the cabin of the car and outside. I also understand the difference between those who are looking for or satisfied with a more aggressive sound and dickheads who would like nothing more than to flaunt an obnoxious exhaust for attention. From reading your post, I can surmise you are the latter. Furthermore, I donā€™t care about your 3.8 genesis straight pipe shit box on wheels. It has no relevance to the conversation other than to support my first impression of you.
I could be wrong but i read it as the first paragraph is letting you know that there isnt any drone, then speak to others that are complaining about "drone" like the guy who bought my AWE res touring exhaust. there is zero drone there, none. I have no idea what he is saying about drone UNLESS the catted DP is causing it. but at 80 there wasnt any drone in the car. you could hear the exhaust but no drone and him stating he had to drive in 7th... idk. I do with the SP1R because its bad there at 80 in 8th. but i dont think he was specifically attacking you there....

I could be wrong, in fact usually am lol

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I could be wrong but i read it as the first paragraph is letting you know that there isnt any drone, then speak to others that are complaining about "drone" like the guy who bought my AWE res touring exhaust. there is zero drone there, none. I have no idea what he is saying about drone UNLESS the catted DP is causing it. but at 80 there wasnt any drone in the car. you could hear the exhaust but no drone and him stating he had to drive in 7th... idk. I do with the SP1R because its bad there at 80 in 8th. but i dont think he was specifically attacking you there....

I could be wrong, in fact usually am lol
Yeah I see your point.

Edit: @cbrummell youā€™re not a dickhead, I apologize. Your post caught me an a shit mood. However, I stand my 3.8 Genesis comment.

cbrummell

First Name
carson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 nitro yellow supra 3.0 premium
Yeah I see your point.

Edit: @cbrummell youā€™re not a dickhead, I apologize. Your post caught me an a shit mood. However, I stand my 3.8 Genesis comment.

glad i scrolled down i was like "damn bro wtf did i do to you" i just quoted the post as a reference so my comment about drone versus being able to hearing something would be more clear.

i will accept the genesis shitbox statement as fair, mine was pretty nice but it was definitely loud, but at 16 years old it was a baller first car. It sounded like a gtr without turbos everyone that heard it said the same thing. having a 12 second car in high school was pretty cool considering i paid for it.

glad your in a better mood now Mr. Jonathan :)

Rekadae

First Name
Phoenix
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, C6 Corvette, 1JZ IS300, 2g DSM
AMS Catted Downpipe & Akrapovic Titanium Valved Exhaust = No Drone
Sponsored