First Name
AMF
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 8.14.34 AM.png
Hey Guys,

Maybe its because I ceramic coated my entire vehicle and this is my first "major" noticeable damage, since the initial purchasing but I was wondering what are the possible solutions I have from this situation. When I was cleaning my vehicle, I noticed that there was a rock chip in the center of my headlight. Usually, all the rock chips I get aren't this bad or maybe it looks bad because of how undamaged it is around the chip, emphasizing it. I usually wouldn't care but I don't want to try buff it out and then have to get ceramic coating reapplied, which will cost $$$. Has anyone has this experience with their supra? I noticed a lot of y'all did get windshield chips. I want to know if this will be even buffed out as well. Someone told me to see about my shops warranties but I doubt wear and tear are covered. I was thinking about just waiting til it gets worse but damn, when this is your first "expensive" car, you can get pretty anal.
Sponsored

Jason In2details

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Yellow
First it might buff out and look better. Second no shop in the entire world would cover rock chip and normal wear like this. New headlights are said to be $1000 each. If you really want to protect you need to get them covered in some clear Bra.Clear Bra would most likely taken this small hit with small mark and then healed itself in the heat. My guess in a pro shop would clear bra headlights under $200.
Stuff like this happens to all cars on the road. You just need to learn to live with it.

SupraPaPa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
This is a debate I am currently having with myself, to clear bra or not. The cheapest I could find for a provider I would trust, is 1K. That just does bumper and hood, but I have to ask myself, am I buy the car to show off, or did I buy it to enjoy driving. Still on the fence, but unless I put the bra on it, I have to accept that little imperfections are going to happen. There are chip fixes for paint, and I would certainly think this would buff out if it started to bug to you too much, but at a distance, how much can you see it?

BTW, I have only driven my car three time have just over 400 miles, and have a speck I believe to be of similar size on the bumper below the light. So I do understand the frustration.

wolf_kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 GR Supra, 1996 NA Miata, 2014 Camry SE
Sorry it occurred.. to protect it, I had get XPEL PPF for headlight which costed only $90 and I applied myself. so far, no one had noticed that I have ppf on on the headlight.

20200725_085423.jpg

20200731_094134.jpg
could you give some insights on the application? any like issues or tips/tricks on how to attack it? and link for material and dimensions? really thinking about doing this. I saw Rvinyl has some precut film for the headlights but upon application it started hazing and is just wasnt clear at all...

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
could you give some insights on the application? any like issues or tips/tricks on how to attack it? and link for material and dimensions? really thinking about doing this. I saw Rvinyl has some precut film for the headlights but upon application it started hazing and is just wasnt clear at all...
for one, Xpel sells it for about $85 but if you goto carID, https://www.carid.com/2020-toyota-supra-light-covers/xpel-headlight-protection-kit-2617037689.html, $70. I used water + few drops of dishwash in spray bottle to wet the headlight and the film. need to be very patient applying it since it won't stick well in the beginning as surface is still wet. As for me, working from front, narrow part of the head light worked better as it did not need any tension on the film. squeeze out water and bubbles until 2/3 of film was applied and secure. once film is secure, then you can stretch a bit on back part to contour the curve and again very patiently squeeze out water and bubble. that's about it. pieces are pre-cut and fit pretty well.

wolf_kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 GR Supra, 1996 NA Miata, 2014 Camry SE
for one, Xpel sells it for about $85 but if you goto carID, https://www.carid.com/2020-toyota-supra-light-covers/xpel-headlight-protection-kit-2617037689.html, $70. I used water + few drops of dishwash in spray bottle to wet the headlight and the film. need to be very patient applying it since it won't stick well in the beginning as surface is still wet. As for me, working from front, narrow part of the head light worked better as it did not need any tension on the film. squeeze out water and bubbles until 2/3 of film was applied and secure. once film is secure, then you can stretch a bit on back part to contour the curve and again very patiently squeeze out water and bubble. that's about it. pieces are pre-cut and fit pretty well.
any heating needed? or just stretching?

DevOps Detail

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 94 Miata
I have the same issue. Mine happened when a camero wanted to race me but I refused. He passed me, cut in front and kicked up a lot of rocks and littered my front end with chips. It doesnt look bad until you get close. I heard ppf can fix most of it. I might be tempted to wet sand mine and polish it. Let me know if you guys come up with a better solution!

OP
OP
Amfchang

Amfchang

First Name
AMF
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I have the same issue. Mine happened when a camero wanted to race me but I refused. He passed me, cut in front and kicked up a lot of rocks and littered my front end with chips. It doesnt look bad until you get close. I heard ppf can fix most of it. I might be tempted to wet sand mine and polish it. Let me know if you guys come up with a better solution!
I don't know. the issue with mine is that I already have the chips so I have to see if I could even fix it and then lay PPF over it. The issue is that if I just lay the PPF over it, it will still be seen through the film.

DevOps Detail

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 94 Miata
I don't know. the issue with mine is that I already have the chips so I have to see if I could even fix it and then lay PPF over it. The issue is that if I just lay the PPF over it, it will still be seen through the film.
Let me know if you find a solution!

SupraPaPa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Have you tried buffing compound alone yet? My thought, is that if you DO NOT sand it, just use a buffing compound, then a plastic polish, it may remove the rough edges, so that it does not reflect and you will not notice it. This may be a less invasive way to see what improvements you can make. otherwise, I have accepted that while I want to care for my car, it is not an "all show, no go" trailer queen. It was meant to be driven, and enjoyed, and I am not going to spend so much time worrying every single time I try to go for a drive.

Last edited:

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
If it's not terrible like to the point that it's hazy, I'd leave it and just put protective film over it. my chip almost disappeared after putting xpel on it. if you do polish/compound it it may come out depends on depth of the chip, but you are taking thin layer off the plastic and making it even weaker.
Sponsored