"Hollow" Noise

jrof

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 Premium MT
Had coilovers installed by the company themselves. A really strange issue I'm having is this "hollow" noise coming from the front. Doesn't seem to get louder based on speed, but will change tones based on the road. It's pretty constant and really hard to explain lol

Anyone ever experience anything like this? Car is a 23 with only 3500 miles
Sponsored

OP
OP
jrof

jrof

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 Premium MT
Coils are from S3. No complaints as far as the coils themselves, they feel way better than just lowering springs.

Such a strange sound to diagnose, can't imagine it's a wheel bearing. Tires are on a bit of a wider wheel but still stock.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Is the noise only happening over bumps and undulations in the road, and does it sound like a hallow thump?

OP
OP
jrof

jrof

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 Premium MT
Is the noise only happening over bumps and undulations in the road, and does it sound like a hallow thump?
Yeah sort of a hallow thump. Definitely more noticeable over uneven pavement but the roads arenā€™t too smooth by me so hard to tell. Does not get louder based on speed but definitely on strange road texture

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah sort of a hallow thump. Definitely more noticeable over uneven pavement but the roads arenā€™t too smooth by me so hard to tell. Does not get louder based on speed but definitely on strange road texture
Different car, but I experienced similar thumps after installing coilovers on my last Miata. At least in that case it was from the main spring and helper spring decompressing when a wheel would dip into an undulation and then sudden compress again when coming out. That sudden compression caused the thump sound. Per the manufacturer themselves this was expected behavior and unavoidable due to the suspension design.

Iā€™m not saying with any certainty that this is whatā€™s happening to you, but Iā€™d definitely reach out to the manufacturer of the coilovers to see if itā€™s expected behavior.

OP
OP
jrof

jrof

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 Premium MT
Different car, but I experienced similar thumps after installing coilovers on my last Miata. At least in that case it was from the main spring and helper spring decompressing when a wheel would dip into an undulation and then sudden compress again when coming out. That sudden compression caused the thump sound. Per the manufacturer themselves this was expected behavior and unavoidable due to the suspension design.

Iā€™m not saying with any certainty that this is whatā€™s happening to you, but Iā€™d definitely reach out to the manufacturer of the coilovers to see if itā€™s expected behavior.
Manufacturer actually installed it and didnā€™t seem to have a quick answer for the noise unfortunately. Actually gonna be taking it in for a diagnostic check at a shop next week
Sponsored