How to use hill assist in a manual?

ricks6231

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Hi all, noob here. Usually i just hold the brake hard and it stops rolling backwards on hills. I cant seem to get it to work in the manual supra. I tried looking for a hill assist setting in the menu unsuccessfully. I have just been using the parking brake to cheat now.

Any guidance on how to activate hill assist hold in the manual?
Man rough crowd here lol. First hill assist will only work when you come to a full stop in gear, if you put in neutral on incline it will roll. My suggestion would be to practice on a hill until you get more comfortable just using brakes. That being said there are some steep inclines where the e brake may be necessary. Have fun and enjoy practicing. Eventually it will come naturally. You will get a lot of folks saying “back in my day we did not have hill assist “ etc etc. We have it now and it’s a great feature. So no one should make you feel dumb for asking that. Forums are here to help .

And yes” I do drive a manual car and my daughter knows how and my son soon as well”.. wow that comment just made me feel way better
😒😒

smh lmao
Sponsored

OP
OP

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
Driving in San Francisco taught me how blend quick with little roll back (people are assholes and like to be right on your ass on hills, you learn quick in that environment). On my 2017 Miata, it locked to prevent roll back for a couple of seconds which was neat. I taught the E-Brake trick to a lot of my buddies when teaching them MT back in the day and worked really well. Not trying to gaslight anyone on here but hills for some people are very small grades while hills for other people are some steep pieces of shit. With 20 years of MT myself, i didn't learn the e-brake trick until after the fact and never used it myself but i haven't heard or seen anyone heal-toe on a hill. But kids these days will heal toe at a stop light in a level road so yeah. I know i heal-toe it on the Model Y.
I have the exact same issue in nyc... even 1 inch roll back is too much because people behind you are up your ass all the time

PS - these internet warriors with miserable lives dont bother me

OP
OP

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
Man rough crowd here lol. First hill assist will only work when you come to a full stop in gear, if you put in neutral on incline it will roll. My suggestion would be to practice on a hill until you get more comfortable just using brakes. That being said there are some steep inclines where the e brake may be necessary. Have fun and enjoy practicing. Eventually it will come naturally. You will get a lot of folks saying “back in my day we did not have hill assist “ etc etc. We have it now and it’s a great feature. So no one should make you feel dumb for asking that. Forums are here to help .

And yes” I do drive a manual car and my daughter knows how and my son soon as well”.. wow that comment just made me feel way better
😒😒

smh lmao
dude super helpful... i come to a rolling stop in neutral wondering why it doesnt kick in

Romin91

First Name
Romin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91-MT, 13 Sonata SE 2.4
dude super helpful... i come to a rolling stop in neutral wondering why it doesnt kick in
I'm assuming you are just learning manual. The system prevents the car going backwards for 3 secs so you have time to let the clutch go, while in first gear or reverse. So don't let off the break until you are in gear, other wise car will do what it should be doing, which is rolling backwards or forward.

OP
OP

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
I'm assuming you are just learning manual. The system prevents the car going backwards for 3 secs so you have time to let the clutch go, while in first gear or reverse. So don't let off the break until you are in gear, other wise car will do what it should be doing, which is rolling backwards or forward.
New to manual cars but many years experience with a motorcycle clutch.. motorcycles don’t roll cuz u just hold the foot brake on a hill while giving it throttle

PrincipleZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 white MT
Not sure if it's same with the Supra but the hill assistant on my WRX only activates if you first start the car on a level surface

Romin91

First Name
Romin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91-MT, 13 Sonata SE 2.4
New to manual cars but many years experience with a motorcycle clutch.. motorcycles don’t roll cuz u just hold the foot brake on a hill while giving it throttle
Honestly with how torquey this car is you wouldn't even need the throttle unless it's a very steep hill. Also as far as I've seen there is no option to turn it off, and you don't need to do anything special to engage it.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Not sure if it's same with the Supra but the hill assistant on my WRX only activates if you first start the car on a level surface
Wtf kindda feature is that. Is there a cookoo clock that goes "coookoo you didn't start leveled, f u". Is this for real.

PrincipleZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 white MT
Wtf kindda feature is that. Is there a cookoo clock that goes "coookoo you didn't start leveled, f u". Is this for real.
nah I think it relies on some sensor to detect if you are on a hill and if you don't start on a level surface the sensor will be inaccurate

djmad

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ Supra MT, 07’ 328i MT, 20’ Civic AT
I’ve noticed when I’m stopped on an incline, it’ll hold for 2-3 seconds so I can give it some gas
+1
When I first got my E92 and noticed it had a hill assist feature, I'll admit it was nice. Especially, after driving older pickup trucks and cars without it. But I don't think you learn to appreciate these kinds of things unless you've driven manual vehicles without it on a hill with bumper to bumper traffic (maybe I'm getting old).

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to learn all the tricks people have mentioned without the use of it (HAC), but if you have it I can understand on why'd you want to use it.

OP
OP

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
+1
When I first got my E92 and noticed it had a hill assist feature, I'll admit it was nice. Especially, after driving older pickup trucks and cars without it. But I don't think you learn to appreciate these kinds of things unless you've driven manual vehicles without it on a hill with bumper to bumper traffic (maybe I'm getting old).

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to learn all the tricks people have mentioned without the use of it (HAC), but if you have it I can understand on why'd you want to use it.
Bruh we’re supposed to have it on manual. Might as well use it i feel like the poeple getting angry have small penises.

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
I had to shut off hill assist on some manual cars I have owned before to intrusive. Sometimes when you are taking off in first gear it's like your car was chained to a wall. True purist manual drivers will use the parking brake on a hill. I have been driving manuals over 30 years. I retired to an automatic 😜

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
If in gear, most “hill assist” manual cars will hold the brake for about 3 seconds, to allow you to find that engagement spot where you’re in control and can hold the car there. That being the key & getting comfortable where that engagement is (used to be called riding the clutch). It’s perfectly normal to do that on a hill, or any start for that matter. I do that method to scoot up in traffic when a gap occurs.

Also, enjoy that new Supra and use your free track day!!

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Bruh we’re supposed to have it on manual. Might as well use it i feel like the poeple getting angry have small penises.
I don't think any one is getting angry.. we're all just kind of incredulous of how many people can't actually drive a manual car properly. My son recently undertook his (manual) driving test and they have made it so easy a shaved down monkey could pass it - He was allowed to use all the assists available and didn't even have to demonstrate a handbrake start!
Sponsored