HP question

Brit65

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Red
I'm trying to decide whether to buy an early production LE car that's still sitting on the showroom floor or order a new one (Premium). I've seen the dyno results online indicating that the engine is underrated by Toyota. My question = is there any HP difference between the early production MKV Supras and the later production ones? i understand the newer production ones have a locked ECU and the early ones didn't. Just wondering if they also backed off the HP at all.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it with my forum search.
Sponsored

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
The launch is identical to the premium in terms of engine performance. The only differences is cosmetic: the interior leather, the mirrors, and the wheels are a different color. The exception is red LEs as they get the black interior. From what I have seen, all LE come fully loaded while with the premium, it may not have the one optional package offered.

OP
OP

Brit65

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Red
Understood, thx.

My question is regarding early production engines compared to the later ones - any difference in HP? In other words, did Toyota change the tune/boost or are the later engines the same as the early ones i.e. underrated? All the dyno results I have seen were on the earlier production cars when they were released.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I believe few mod-shops like TwistedTuning mentioned that cars manufactured after a certain date came with slightly different tuning. I don't know if there was a clear cutoff between LE vs Premium. ECU had a secondary lock as well. off the top of my memory..

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Understood, thx.

My question is regarding early production engines compared to the later ones - any difference in HP? In other words, did Toyota change the tune/boost or are the later engines the same as the early ones i.e. underrated? All the dyno results I have seen were on the earlier production cars when they were released.
Never heard or seen a difference

Different story with the M340i though which had more hp and was then detuned with a DME update..

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
To put you up to speed quickly, there are rumors from an insider from BMW and Toyota that, a higher HP Supra (385hp) is coming MY2021. Their claims comes highly regarded, but Toyota has officially announced it. So just take it with a side of caution.
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/bmw-insider-385-hp-supra-model-is-coming.1785/page-6#post-44829

To your other question, from my understanding the only thing Toyota changed on A90s now compared to launch/earlier models was the tuneability to the ECU. I believe they just made it a bit harder, but I think solutions are out there now. The underrated HP thing (339 WHP) is unchanged.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27543113/2020-toyota-supra-dyno-horsepower/
Sponsored