Impressions/Review Frequency Intelligence Exhaust (Stock Cat)

A90 Shop

First Name
A90 Shop
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.a90shop.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Premium, Absolute White
hey there, Im getting my supra next week and I am wanting to go ahead an order an exhaust. I found a fi exhaust i want on a90shop and i was wondering if they are legit?
Hello! I like to think we’re pretty legit. We’re one of the top FI exhaust dealers in the US, and number 1 for the MKV Supra platform. I’d be happy to help you get an FI setup at a great price.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rob_Supra21

Rob_Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra Refraction Blue
hey there, Im getting my supra next week and I am wanting to go ahead an order an exhaust. I found a fi exhaust i want on a90shop and i was wondering if they are legit?
Very legit! Definitely 100% recommend them for your FI exhaust needs

Reactions: zrk

ethanc

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Just got this installed today. Unfortunately had to go without any exhaust tips because the left connecting pipe out of the muffler is longer than it should be, causing the tip to touch the left side of the diffuser, even when shoving the connecting pipe as far right into the muffler as possible. Reached out through my vendor who contacted FI, and the initial response is not good unfortunately. They are saying this is absolutely normal (how tf is it normal if I literally cannot put tip on without it pressing against the left side of diffuser?!). Will wait and see what they respond after my reply. Worst case, might need to cut away some of it.

Also noticed that the exhaust is slightly uneven, with the left side a bit lower than the right. I also noticed this in Danno’s pic on the first page. The hanger rubber bushing seems to be equally stretched on the left and right side. Can this be adjusted by twisting the mid pipe connecting to the left muffler section?

One last thing, I got the kit without the remote. When I toggle sport mode on and off, it sounds like the valves(not sure one or both) actuates three times when going from sport to quiet. From quiet to sport is just one valve click noise as is expected. But going the other way for some reason makes three noises, the third of which definitely quiets it down. Anyone else experience this or should it be one click each way (I feel like it should be this). I’ll need to go back to my shop anyways to fix the exhaust tip issue, might bring this up as well. Although not sure where to begin troubleshooting…

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Just got this installed today. Unfortunately had to go without any exhaust tips because the left connecting pipe out of the muffler is longer than it should be, causing the tip to touch the left side of the diffuser, even when shoving the connecting pipe as far right into the muffler as possible. Reached out through my vendor who contacted FI, and the initial response is not good unfortunately. They are saying this is absolutely normal (how tf is it normal if I literally cannot put tip on without it pressing against the left side of diffuser?!). Will wait and see what they respond after my reply. Worst case, might need to cut away some of it.

Also noticed that the exhaust is slightly uneven, with the left side a bit lower than the right. I also noticed this in Danno’s pic on the first page. The hanger rubber bushing seems to be equally stretched on the left and right side. Can this be adjusted by twisting the mid pipe connecting to the left muffler section?

One last thing, I got the kit without the remote. When I toggle sport mode on and off, it sounds like the valves(not sure one or both) actuates three times when going from sport to quiet. From quiet to sport is just one valve click noise as is expected. But going the other way for some reason makes three noises, the third of which definitely quiets it down. Anyone else experience this or should it be one click each way (I feel like it should be this). I’ll need to go back to my shop anyways to fix the exhaust tip issue, might bring this up as well. Although not sure where to begin troubleshooting…
Looks like

A) whoever installed it probably did a bad job aligning it. You need to start all the way at the downpipe connection and make sure it's lined up all the way back or it will be crooked. There's a lot of connection points. This is probably also causing your L connections from the canister to the tip to be shifted further than it should be unfortunately.

B) their valve springs suuuucccckkkkkkkkk my asss. Like the worst design I've ever seen in my life. It took me FOREVER to get them attached and aligned perfectly. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the shop just slapped them on without checking and called it a day. Could have also installed them in the wrong position causing the multiple clicks if the motors meet resistance or something and end up turning back the other way or not turning at all. Just a theory but due to the awful design, it's completely possible.

Also I think one of my valves is fucked. Recently my exhaust sounds quieter than usual and sometimes at WOT waaayyy quieter which shouldn't be the case with a catless downpipe. I have to disconnect mine soon and check it out but it wouldn't surprise me at all if their shitty spring popped off and/or one of the valves is malfunctioning.

Good luck, godspeed 🤘

ethanc

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks like

A) whoever installed it probably did a bad job aligning it. You need to start all the way at the downpipe connection and make sure it's lined up all the way back or it will be crooked. There's a lot of connection points. This is probably also causing your L connections from the canister to the tip to be shifted further than it should be unfortunately.

B) their valve springs suuuucccckkkkkkkkk my asss. Like the worst design I've ever seen in my life. It took me FOREVER to get them attached and aligned perfectly. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the shop just slapped them on without checking and called it a day. Could have also installed them in the wrong position causing the multiple clicks if the motors meet resistance or something and end up turning back the other way or not turning at all. Just a theory but due to the awful design, it's completely possible.

Also I think one of my valves is fucked. Recently my exhaust sounds quieter than usual and sometimes at WOT waaayyy quieter which shouldn't be the case with a catless downpipe. I have to disconnect mine soon and check it out but it wouldn't surprise me at all if their shitty spring popped off and/or one of the valves is malfunctioning.

Good luck, godspeed 🤘
thanks for the info! Yea either when I get a replacement connecting pipe, or if they won’t give me another one and I need to trim it, I’ll have the installer loosen everything and realign. I’m guessing the midpipe connection to the left side of muffler needs to be rotated or something to raise that left side. But as far as the L connecting pipe too far left, I don’t think that is because of misalignment, since the muffler is perfectly centered under the diffuser.
Oh interesting, so the valve spring and motor needed to be assembled/attached? It wasn’t already installed out of the box? Maybe I’ll have them take it off and reinstall if that’s the case.
A part of me wished that I went with a different exhaust without any of this 2 valve headache, but the adjustability of the L connecting pipes and oem plus sound of the FI was what won me over. Really hoping I’m able to fix the above issues…

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
thanks for the info! Yea either when I get a replacement connecting pipe, or if they won’t give me another one and I need to trim it, I’ll have the installer loosen everything and realign. I’m guessing the midpipe connection to the left side of muffler needs to be rotated or something to raise that left side. But as far as the L connecting pipe too far left, I don’t think that is because of misalignment, since the muffler is perfectly centered under the diffuser.
Oh interesting, so the valve spring and motor needed to be assembled/attached? It wasn’t already installed out of the box? Maybe I’ll have them take it off and reinstall if that’s the case.
A part of me wished that I went with a different exhaust without any of this 2 valve headache, but the adjustability of the L connecting pipes and oem plus sound of the FI was what won me over. Really hoping I’m able to fix the above issues…
Yeah I bet a bunch of the pieces need to be rotated and adjusted slightly all the way through. If you can measure the bend where the tip attaches I can check it against mine and see if it's way different in length. Measure just from the end that connects to the canister, to the beginning of the bend.

Yeah and the valve that you move over from the stock exhaust needs to have the stock spring removed and the FI spring installed and when you install it they should be installed din the closed position since that's how the car starts up (unless it's been coded to start in a different position).

I personally like this exhaust more than the others because something rubs me the wrong way about a dual exit exhaust that only uses 1 side at a time with 1 valve, but this setup does come with more headaches for sure. It's also heavy af which I didn't realize when I bought it. Significantly heavier than the stock exhaust.

ethanc

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I bet a bunch of the pieces need to be rotated and adjusted slightly all the way through. If you can measure the bend where the tip attaches I can check it against mine and see if it's way different in length. Measure just from the end that connects to the canister, to the beginning of the bend.

Yeah and the valve that you move over from the stock exhaust needs to have the stock spring removed and the FI spring installed and when you install it they should be installed din the closed position since that's how the car starts up (unless it's been coded to start in a different position).

I personally like this exhaust more than the others because something rubs me the wrong way about a dual exit exhaust that only uses 1 side at a time with 1 valve, but this setup does come with more headaches for sure. It's also heavy af which I didn't realize when I bought it. Significantly heavier than the stock exhaust.
Oh there’s an FI valve spring that needs to be swapped into the stock valve motor?? Where was that located in the packaging? I’ll need to confirm with my shop if they swapped that in, and also check if they installed it with the valve closed..
I did have start in sport coded when they installed it, but I don’t think that should mess the synchronization of the valves should it? Since even in sport mode, if it’s a cold start, the valves stay closed.
I’m starting to think maybe they didn’t install the valve motors both in the same position, because on cold starts I hear it start pretty loud (but I don’t think as loud as both valves open), then 1 second later gets a bit quieter. And could maybe also explain why when going from sport to comfort, I hear three actuations, with the third actually silencing.

Definitely agree with you on have a “symmetrical” airflow and exhaust sound path coming out of both, and silencing both. Rather than one being always silenced, and the other either blocked or straight through.

ethanc

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
And can anyone confirm the default exhaust behavior when doing a cold start in sport? Does it start up with valves open for a second or two, then close valves to warm up cats? Or should it start up immediately with valves closed, and then only opening when revs drop?

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Oh there’s an FI valve spring that needs to be swapped into the stock valve motor?? Where was that located in the packaging? I’ll need to confirm with my shop if they swapped that in, and also check if they installed it with the valve closed..
I did have start in sport coded when they installed it, but I don’t think that should mess the synchronization of the valves should it? Since even in sport mode, if it’s a cold start, the valves stay closed.
I’m starting to think maybe they didn’t install the valve motors both in the same position, because on cold starts I hear it start pretty loud (but I don’t think as loud as both valves open), then 1 second later gets a bit quieter. And could maybe also explain why when going from sport to comfort, I hear three actuations, with the third actually silencing.

Definitely agree with you on have a “symmetrical” airflow and exhaust sound path coming out of both, and silencing both. Rather than one being always silenced, and the other either blocked or straight through.
Yeah it's a totally different spring. I was going to take a picture of the stock spring but I seem to have lost it lol. The FI one is round and looks kinda like a spiral. I think you're right about starting in sport mode but not 100% sure

ethanc

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah it's a totally different spring. I was going to take a picture of the stock spring but I seem to have lost it lol. The FI one is round and looks kinda like a spiral. I think you're right about starting in sport mode but not 100% sure
Oh boy.. it’ll be interesting to see what happens when my shop says they didn’t see any/swap out the spring. Who knows where it is now 😅

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Hello Everyone,

I noticed that there are not a lot of exhaust reviews here and as someone who spent hours and hours looking at exhaust systems and jumping on any new information I wanted to throw my experience with an Exhaust System here.

For sound clips, I do have a review video on YouTube that has the sound clips:
Full Video of FI Exhaust Review
And below are the two parts with the exhaust revs/drives:
dB Test: (1:24)
Fly By, Launch: (8:45)

I acquired the FI Exhaust for my 2021 A91 Edition Supra, and am running it with the stock cat for now.
Let's bullet point this:
Price: Around $3K for the system, $800 for the optional Remote Bluetooth system (Works via external remote or smartphone app)that allows you to control the valves separately (It is Bluetooth compatible so you can also set it to open the valves when the car is at a certain RPM range)
Construction: Stainless Steel. Beautiful looking system, also has a few numbered plates on the muffler and piping. I am number 87. It does have dual valves also, so you re-use the factory valve motor and FI includes the second motor. (Pictures at the end)
Installation: Fitment was good, my only slight concern was potential rubbing on the under brace. It is worth mentioning though that I didn't actually notice any rubbing when it was installed but it was pretty close. So I did just put a few washers on the brace for just a bit more clearance. 1K miles later and no rubbing. With the dual valves you use the included splitter to connect both valves to the factory plug.
*If you use the optional Remote Bluetooth System the following (Included) wiring needs to be done for the System box*
1. Wire from the aforementioned valve motor splitter to the box to control the valves
2. Wire from the OBD to the box to use the RPM range features
3. Wire from the box to the Supra fuse box to power the system
Looks: Shiny as heck. I went with the base chrome tips which fill out the back end rather nicely. There are a myriad of options though if you wanted something else (Around $300 for different tips) for example I have seen carbon fiber tips as well as black.
Sound: As mentioned earlier, this is a dual valve system. In comfort mode it is basically stock. Honestly, it muffles the start-up pops a bit more than the stock system did. On the freeway I experience no drone either (In Comfort or Sport). In Sport mode is sounds great, it really enhances the B58 sound and volume and definitely gives the pops more sound also. I have a dashcam video of some Toyota techs turning the car on inside their shop in Sport mode and they were like, "Holy Shit!" due to the pops echoing inside. Acceleration gives you a little more volume in the cabin (I do have EDC disabled) but not annoying at all. I can definitely see this system being a great starting point for if you wanted to go catless as the dual valves would help in terms of not being a cop magnet in Comfort mode.
Negatives: So far the only negative I have seen is the valve on the FI motor side has a bit of a rattle on cold starts. However, it may be due to an improper motor install so when I have time I will be taking it off and re-installing it. After cold start though there is ZERO rattling. And you can't hear the rattling on the inside, only if you are standing right behind the car during the cold start.

That is my review! Please let me know if I missed anything of if you want any other information. I can definitely add to this.
Pics:
IMG_7300.jpg
IMG_7271.jpg
IMG_7272.JPG
Hello, bought my self Fi for my supra. Installed it. But i think that one of two exhaust valves ir closed and other one open. Can you send me how yours exhaust valve actuators are standing with valves open? Need that ASAP. Thank you very much!

OP
OP
Rob_Supra21

Rob_Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra Refraction Blue
Hello, bought my self Fi for my supra. Installed it. But i think that one of two exhaust valves ir closed and other one open. Can you send me how yours exhaust valve actuators are standing with valves open? Need that ASAP. Thank you very much!
Sorry man, sold the Supra back in 2021 when the used values were insane lol

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Are you tuned or have valve settings in bimmercode or anything like that? I've found that some settings conflict with themselves

CHHH

First Name
PaRKER
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 premium
Hello! I like to think we’re pretty legit. We’re one of the top FI exhaust dealers in the US, and number 1 for the MKV Supra platform. I’d be happy to help you get an FI setup at a great price.
Hello,

I am trying to get my self an exhaust system of FI or HKS. How can I reach out to you.
Sponsored