Intakes with Airboxes

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Injen Evo, MST, Arma, et cetera et cetera. Can the airboxes be removed allowing for open intake?

For example, can the Injen Evo be modified to run as an Injen SP? I can't tell if the two heat shields are compatible. I'm just worried I ordered the Evo and it will be too quiet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ikeaboy

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bumperooski. Anyone try this at all? I'm just curious of the sound differences. I'll try it on Friday and report back.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
I can't speak for all of them, but my armaspeed you can remove the lid. I'm not feeling too well or id make a video for you with the top off. Thicwhips had a video awhile back where he took the ams intake box off and runs it like that for more sound

OP
OP
ikeaboy

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can't speak for all of them, but my armaspeed you can remove the lid. I'm not feeling too well or id make a video for you with the top off. Thicwhips had a video awhile back where he took the ams intake box off and runs it like that for more sound
Thank you. Get well soon!

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
Can’t do that with the Mishimoto, the box comes as a complete piece

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
AFe is a complete piece as well. AWE on the other hand has a lid/cover that can be placed. Far more turbo sounds with the cover off, but engine bay looks much cleaner with it on.

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
I tried cover on and off with the MST v2 last night. I think it sounded a bit louder without the top, but in video it doesn't seem that different. Testing was at normal highway speeds and 50-70MPH blips, plus accel from 0.
IAT was slightly different by a couple degrees, but it's not like I was acting like I was doing a track day.

When I was making the switch, I pulled into a Pizza Hut to take off the cover, and as I got out of the car the delivery guy came out of the building and yelled across the parking lot, "Hey man, is that a Supra?"
I should have offered make his pizza delivery for him.

OP
OP
ikeaboy

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok. Installed the Injen Evo. Did not try without the airbox. I can't tell a difference from stock. I do have a Borla exhaust. Tried it in normal driving mode. Nothing.

I asked a few technicians at the shop and they advised against running it without the airbox to avoid potential issues.

Is there a break-in period? I'm also running a JB4 on Map 2. Will Map 4 / more boost increase noise? My Map 2 Logs were already reviewed and ok'd by Terry at N54Tech.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
Ok. Installed the Injen Evo. Did not try without the airbox. I can't tell a difference from stock. I do have a Borla exhaust. Tried it in normal driving mode. Nothing.

I asked a few technicians at the shop and they advised against running it without the airbox to avoid potential issues.

Is there a break-in period? I'm also running a JB4 on Map 2. Will Map 4 / more boost increase noise? My Map 2 Logs were already reviewed and ok'd by Terry at N54Tech.
Many people have said there is a very very VERY small change in if any with the injen intake. I was researching the bundle and decided against it for really no benefit of sound. Which is what an intake is about
Sponsored