Introducing the AWE S-FLO Carbon Intake for the 2020+ GR Supra. Available now.

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
Wanted to add to this thread. I am considering this compared to the other options out there:

- Amraspeed
- MST

But I heard from a previous customer that the sound/pitch of this intake is different from the others listed above. Does anybody else know if this is true or if it might be just a placebo effect lol.

Also since it is originally an open box design, has anyone experienced heat soak with the intake? I know there is a cover available that costs extra, but that is a hard sell imo when the other 2 come with covers and are cheaper.

BTW. I am primarily buying this for the fluttering sound, not really expecting massive performance gains.
Sponsored

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
But I heard from a previous customer that the sound/pitch of this intake is different from the others listed above. Does anybody else know if this is true or if it might be just a placebo effect lol.

Correct. The sound of an intake can vary based on its design and the type of filter used. It's not a placebo effect. Different materials and construction methods can change the resonance and sound characteristics of the intake. Hence, you might notice a distinct sound with each different intake system.

Also since it is originally an open box design, has anyone experienced heat soak with the intake? I know there is a cover available that costs extra, but that is a hard sell imo when the other 2 come with covers and are cheaper.

There has been no empirical data indicating significant heat soak from aftermarket intakes leading to a loss of power. An aftermarket intake can be a great choice if you're primarily seeking an enhanced engine sound.

I suggest checking out some videos on YouTube to get a feel for the sound profile of various intakes. Choose the one that sounds and looks the best to you, and fits within your budget.

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Wanted to add to this thread. I am considering this compared to the other options out there:

- Amraspeed
- MST

BTW. I am primarily buying this for the fluttering sound, not really expecting massive performance gains.

- Amraspeed
- MST

Iā€™ve had both the AWE and armaspeed. Initially got the AWE because I loved my AWE exhaust. The intake not so much. The sound without the lid/cover is fairly loud and the turbo sounds are nice. No significant heat soak, but the fitment wasnā€™t spot on and the design of the lid/cover is quite frankly terrible. Switched to armaspeed because also wanted to use my turbo shield I had. The armaspeed sounds better in my opinion. Very noticeable turbo sounds and fitment was great. Overall more satisfied with the armaspeed. If you really want to go AWE and not spend that much I can sell my old one, but itā€™s definitely used and since the fitment isnā€™t great the aluminum heat shield and part of the carbon fiber intake pipe are pretty scratched up.

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Iā€™ve had both the AWE and armaspeed. Initially got the AWE because I loved my AWE exhaust. The intake not so much. The sound without the lid/cover is fairly loud and the turbo sounds are nice. No significant heat soak, but the fitment wasnā€™t spot on and the design of the lid/cover is quite frankly terrible. Switched to armaspeed because also wanted to use my turbo shield I had. The armaspeed sounds better in my opinion. Very noticeable turbo sounds and fitment was great. Overall more satisfied with the armaspeed. If you really want to go AWE and not spend that much I can sell my old one, but itā€™s definitely used and since the fitment isnā€™t great the aluminum heat shield and part of the carbon fiber intake pipe are pretty scratched up.
How did you determine the open design didnā€™t heat soak? Do you log IATs?

OP
OP
Josh/AWE

Josh/AWE

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR
Interesting you had a "fitment issue" when the parts can only go in one way, and the lid floats in grommets at factory mounting locations. We have extensive instructions published for ease of installation

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
How did you determine the open design didnā€™t heat soak? Do you log IATs?
Several street pulls back to back to back for tuning purposes while logging without significant changes in IAT over the stock or armaspeed intake. I do however have a CSF manifold that could make up for the difference. This is also on a Pure 800 turbo.

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Interesting you had a "fitment issue" when the parts can only go in one way, and the lid floats in grommets at factory mounting locations. We have extensive instructions published for ease of installation
The fitment issues for me were two fold. The aluminum heat shield vibrates and hits the little aluminum shield on the turbo. Does effect function but did scratch the aluminum heat shield really good. Second, the gap between the lid and the carbon fiber intake tube was really tight as well so driving and engine vibrations had the lid scratch all the Carbon fiber where it contacted the tube until it turned white. It looked good and sounded good. Couldnā€™t use the ā€œfitment guaranteeā€ you offer because there also many other aftermarket parts that could have effected fitment including a pure turbo 3D printed inlet, aftermarket charge pipe and intake manifold that slightly adjusted the charge pipe angle. This could all play into fitment. I wasnā€™t disappointed just wanted to let another user know my experience since Iā€™ve used 2/3 of the intakes they asked about. Still rocking/loving my car back exhaust

OP
OP
Josh/AWE

Josh/AWE

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR
The fitment issues for me were two fold. The aluminum heat shield vibrates and hits the little aluminum shield on the turbo. Does effect function but did scratch the aluminum heat shield really good. Second, the gap between the lid and the carbon fiber intake tube was really tight as well so driving and engine vibrations had the lid scratch all the Carbon fiber where it contacted the tube until it turned white. It looked good and sounded good. Couldnā€™t use the ā€œfitment guaranteeā€ you offer because there also many other aftermarket parts that could have effected fitment including a pure turbo 3D printed inlet, aftermarket charge pipe and intake manifold that slightly adjusted the charge pipe angle. This could all play into fitment. I wasnā€™t disappointed just wanted to let another user know my experience since Iā€™ve used 2/3 of the intakes they asked about. Still rocking/loving my car back exhaust
Got it. That context is very much appreciated. Cheers.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I sit around 71 degrees IAT not sure if thatā€™s hot or not but hereā€™s a sound clip of the turbo noiseā€¦

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
Dumb question: how different are the grommet locations on the intake boxes between the Supra and M340i? Iā€™d love to pick one of these up, but Iā€™m assuming the heat shield would be useless for me.

directmk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 1997 Porsche Boxster, 2016 Audi S6
so when will this thing be available again?

Sara/AWE

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Car(s)
A90
Dumb question: how different are the grommet locations on the intake boxes between the Supra and M340i? Iā€™d love to pick one of these up, but Iā€™m assuming the heat shield would be useless for me.
We have not test fitted any part of this intake on the M340, but based on engine bay differences, I do not believe this will work.

so when will this thing be available again?
We are working hard to get carbon back in stock, no good news to share yet, but once we do I will be sure to post to let everyone know!

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Flash Sale Alert! 15% off AWE retail prices plus free shipping, exclusively at Extreme Power House. www.x-ph.com . No coupon code is required ā€“ discounted prices are already applied.
Sponsored