Is the HKS Super Turbo louder than stock?

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Can't find any videos of it with a stock downpipe, sounds decent with a catless setup. Friend is buying a Supra and can't decide between the two HKS setups. I like the dual muffler one, he likes this.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I have the Super Turbo with an AA catted downpipe. I never ran the Super Turbo with the stock downpipe, so I can't comment at all on what that sounds like. As far as what it sounds like with the AA downpipe, I'd say that Normal mode with the HKS sounds about as loud as Sport mode did with the stock exhaust, and Sport mode with the HKS is another step up. The tone of the exhaust is great especially when you get on the gas, I'm a fan.

There is a small bit of drone from 1.9-2.1k RPM in sport mode with the HKS (my understanding is you'll get a drone at 2k with just about any catback on this car), but it's pretty minor and easy to avoid by either cruising at a different speed, in a different gear, or switching to Normal mode.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
For what its worth. Other one that's not super turbo won't pass inspection in japan because of noise. The super Turbo will.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I have the Super Turbo with an AA catted downpipe. I never ran the Super Turbo with the stock downpipe, so I can't comment at all on what that sounds like. As far as what it sounds like with the AA downpipe, I'd say that Normal mode with the HKS sounds about as loud as Sport mode did with the stock exhaust, and Sport mode with the HKS is another step up. The tone of the exhaust is great especially when you get on the gas, I'm a fan.

There is a small bit of drone from 1.9-2.1k RPM in sport mode with the HKS (my understanding is you'll get a drone at 2k with just about any catback on this car), but it's pretty minor and easy to avoid by either cruising at a different speed, in a different gear, or switching to Normal mode.
Ah fantastic! Any sound clips? Do you like it? Wish it was louder?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't have any sound clips, it's not the first time someone has requested one so I'll think about it once my car is running properly again. I do like it, when on the throttle I think it sounds fantastic, and if you switch it to normal mode it quiets down significantly for driving through neighborhoods or whatever. I don't want the volume to be any different, quieter or louder.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I don't have any sound clips, it's not the first time someone has requested one so I'll think about it once my car is running properly again. I do like it, when on the throttle I think it sounds fantastic, and if you switch it to normal mode it quiets down significantly for driving through neighborhoods or whatever. I don't want the volume to be any different, quieter or louder.
Much appreciated mate. Would love if you have time to get a sound clip!

*also meant to ask if you disabled the fake noise in the cabin?

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
For what its worth. Other one that's not super turbo won't pass inspection in japan because of noise. The super Turbo will.
Yeah the dual muffler one has a more aggressive sound for sure.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Yeah that’s one of the first things I did when I got the car
How did the AA downpipe sound with the stock exhaust? Was the HKS louder than OEM + AA downpipe?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How did the AA downpipe sound with the stock exhaust?
Decent tone, louder and deeper than the stock downpipe, but still too quiet for me

Was the HKS louder than OEM + AA downpipe?
HKS + AA is louder than OEM + AA. I never ran the HKS exhaust with the stock downpipe. From what I ran:
OEM+OEM < OEM+AA < HKS+AA

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
When I'm done with the suspension in my car the Super Turbo is most likely the exhaust I'm going to run. The dB limit at Lime Rock Park is pretty serious. Burbles on the stock exhaust got the attention of the track safety folks the last time I was there.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
When I'm done with the suspension in my car the Super Turbo is most likely the exhaust I'm going to run. The dB limit at Lime Rock Park is pretty serious. Burbles on the stock exhaust got the attention of the track safety folks the last time I was there.
Might want to stay stock then! OEM flows pretty darn well. I believe the Super Turbo is a bit louder than stock?

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Might want to stay stock then! OEM flows pretty darn well. I believe the Super Turbo is a bit louder than stock?
I'm making about 420ish at the wheels with a custom ECUTEK dyno tune on an otherwise stock car, so yeah, it's all about improving the sound.

Also I usually run with the burbles off and I'll keep them off if it means I can get a better exhaust note.
Sponsored