Is There a Good Guide on Removing Calipers?

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Looking for a step by step guide to remove my brake calipers from front and back. Going to get them power coated to match the theme.

I've taken brakes off before, but prefer to have an easy to follow video or guide, if there is one.

Thanks in advance for answers
Sponsored

OP
OP
JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice, and here I was fretting. Sounds easy, I will check the link, and look a little closer at them calipers. Thanks for the assist!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Nice, and here I was fretting. Sounds easy, I will check the link, and look a little closer at them calipers. Thanks for the assist!
Hardest part will be the lines, and even that isn't hard. Just potential to be messy. Do yourself a favor and save yourself a big headache and DO NOT let the lines hang and drain or you will get air in the lines. Hang them up so they won't drain or better yet, cap them with something.

OP
OP
JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hardest part will be the lines, and even that isn't hard. Just potential to be messy. Do yourself a favor and save yourself a big headache and DO NOT let the lines hang and drain or you will get air in the lines. Hang them up so they won't drain or better yet, cap them with something.
I was wondering if it would be a good time to change the fluid, but since you mentioned this, I will probably just do that. Brakes are amazing as is and still very low mileage, so it's good for a while I'd think.

Thanks!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I was wondering if it would be a good time to change the fluid, but since you mentioned this, I will probably just do that. Brakes are amazing as is and still very low mileage, so it's good for a while I'd think.

Thanks!
You will need to bleed the system after putting the calipers back on as you will introduce air into the system from them being off.

I stated the above to make sure you didn't let the whole system get air in it as that has the potential to be a major pain in the ass.

OP
OP
JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You will need to bleed the system after putting the calipers back on as you will introduce air into the system from them being off.

I stated the above to make sure you didn't let the whole system get air in it as that has the potential to be a major pain in the ass.
I figured. Thank you for the reminder. I don't know how you could keep the lines propped up to keep the fluid in, but that did not work for me, haha. I had nothing to plug or cap it with.

The rear brakes...can you take the back portion off where the fluid goes in?

3rdGearEvo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 2003 Evo VIII
I use vise-grips to pinch the rubber part of brake lines when changing calipers. Still have to bleed system after install but this method only allows a small amount of air into line. Only pinch to the thickness of line minus inner diameter

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I spent some time doing this, the fronts super easy the rears are pretty easy also, just have to remove the electric motor for the e-brake. You donā€™t have to disassemble the fronts as far as removing the bolts to split the halfā€™s, I wish I didnā€™t but the powder coated was sure there were channels in there. I think it was just easier to tape up for himā€¦

where I fucked up was buying titanium brembo bleeder screw replacements. They needed much more force then the stock ones, and I didnā€™t have one tight enough. I came out to the car with a puddle of brake fluid and air stuck in the ABS module. And tried to bleed it on the road, I guess I damaged the master cylinder because once we finally got a tool to activate the module, air kept coming in, we replaced the master cylinder and that fixed everything. But due to this work I had a stud strip, come to find out PO had studs installed because they stripped the hub, and welded studs in. I replaced them and the hub all in all I couldā€™ve bought a BBK for what it cost to PC the calipers lololol

look good though

Attachments

OP
OP
JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I spent some time doing this, the fronts super easy the rears are pretty easy also, just have to remove the electric motor for the e-brake. You donā€™t have to disassemble the fronts as far as removing the bolts to split the halfā€™s, I wish I didnā€™t but the powder coated was sure there were channels in there. I think it was just easier to tape up for himā€¦

where I fucked up was buying titanium brembo bleeder screw replacements. They needed much more force then the stock ones, and I didnā€™t have one tight enough. I came out to the car with a puddle of brake fluid and air stuck in the ABS module. And tried to bleed it on the road, I guess I damaged the master cylinder because once we finally got a tool to activate the module, air kept coming in, we replaced the master cylinder and that fixed everything. But due to this work I had a stud strip, come to find out PO had studs installed because they stripped the hub, and welded studs in. I replaced them and the hub all in all I couldā€™ve bought a BBK for what it cost to PC the calipers lololol

look good though
Do I need to disassemble the rear piston and e-brake portion built into the caliper? I figure yes, but want to confirm as it's MORE work for "easy" "2 bolts," haha.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Do I need to disassemble the rear piston and e-brake portion built into the caliper? I figure yes, but want to confirm as it's MORE work for "easy" "2 bolts," haha.
Yes you do, honestly removing the boot was hardest thing of all lol. You will need a snap ring pliers, remove it then screw out the piston rest comes out. The motor is help on by 2 bolts. Itā€™s not difficult at all, and there are a couple videos on YouTube on how to disassemble rear electric ebrake calipers, not the Supras but the process is the same.

OP
OP
JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes you do, honestly removing the boot was hardest thing of all lol. You will need a snap ring pliers, remove it then screw out the piston rest comes out. The motor is help on by 2 bolts. Itā€™s not difficult at all, and there are a couple videos on YouTube on how to disassemble rear electric ebrake calipers, not the Supras but the process is the same.

Thanks for the response. I figured it out a few minutes after asking, heh. No fun at all. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything. Scraped up some of the pistons getting them out, but hopefully that doesn't break nothing.

Now just waiting with the car on jack stands in the garage. Time for under car work/check ups.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Any special tools or wrenches needed for the brake lines?

OP
OP
JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Any special tools or wrenches needed for the brake lines?
Nah. Normal wrench is fine. They aren't very tight and as long as sized right and placed right, it should be fine.
Sponsored