JB4

andrewtrxnn

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Toyota Supra 3.0
Looking to go with a JB4 or any piggyback to lessen my chances of a warranty void. Heard that overtime it will fry your ECU since it’s not changing anything just tricking it and the ECU will “overthink” and fry it. Any advice?
Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
Not sure how it would make it 'overthink' it's just passing parameters that are different than sensors are providing so that the car thinks its targets are further away.

LVCATZ

First Name
Ameer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV A90, S4 B8
I do have the JB4, I had some initial issues that took some time to resolve with getting the right combination of JB4 control board and the Bluetooth dongle. There are pinned and unpinned (power) versions of the board and they need to be matched up with the correct Bluetooth power needs. One of the Bluetooth failed on arrival. Once swapped, I was good to go.

No reason that I can think of that it will "over do" anything. That being said, probably has limitations on what it can achieve, but my numbers were much better than I expected. I didn't want to do a flash tune since I got the 84 moth extended warranty.

Hit the Mustang Dyno yesterday at P2uned in Winchester, VA for a Open House Supra meet to see if I actually had some gains. To everyone's surprise, my numbers turned out great. More than I expected.

I have an Injen Intake, FTP Charge-Pipes, Active Autowerke Downpipe, and the JB4. I didn't run on Map 0 nor do I have stock numbers.

Map 1 = 389.4 HP | 435 TRQ
Map 2 = 396.2 HP | 449 TRQ
Map 3 = 399.2 HP | 479.2 TRQ

Very pleased. I want to look into WMI to see how that goes. Happy with Burger Motorsports BM so far and I know they make a kit. The APP is already ready for it as well. Anyone used BM WMI?

LVCATZ

First Name
Ameer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV A90, S4 B8

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
Mine is a 2020. I didn't do a Electronic Waste Gate (EWG). Actually, I had to look that up to see what it is. After looking at it, I'll probably order one. $35 seems very, very reasonable! Thanks for getting me to look into it!

Actually, just added it to my cart. https://burgertuning.com/products/n...os=1&_sid=5f83c2776&_ss=r&variant=18543513219
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if you made a good bit more power with EWG. I didn't try mine without it but from what I read it's a pretty big difference because of overboost prevention.

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
So people who have locked ECUs can go this route for the added power? Also theres no way for the dealer to know it was added if you remove it before any services?

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
So people who have locked ECUs can go this route for the added power? Also theres no way for the dealer to know it was added if you remove it before any services?
Yeah - honestly you could probably just put it to map 0 and they wouldn't know lol. But shouldn't have any auto flags. They could in theory see the boost numbers going higher I think but I doubt they'd ever see that.

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah - honestly you could probably just put it to map 0 and they wouldn't know lol. But shouldn't have any auto flags. They could in theory see the boost numbers going higher I think but I doubt they'd ever see that.
Well shit. I was going to have my car tuned but maybe this is the way to go!

LVCATZ

First Name
Ameer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV A90, S4 B8
Terry at B Motorsports would know for sure, but I do believe even locked ECU the JB4 should work. It doesn't touch the ECU. You could remove it before services, but I plan on leaving it in if I do. No reason for it to make a difference.

I've read somewhere, that others who have flashed their ECUs had it cleared out at some services. Dealer made a change it it screwed up the tune and put it in limp mode. Fortunately, with the JB4 that should never happen.

I'm still only a few days in, but that is what I've understood. Just ordered the EWG and the WMI kit from them as well.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I installed my JB4, paired BT with my iPhone, and it worked without a hitch from day one.

This is the first time hearing about concerns of it 'frying' my ECU.. I mean I've been a long time JB user and no issue on my other cars either. It's very straight forward, no fuss.

I was more amazed how ugly the engine bay was once I removed the engine cover... a spaghetti of a mess.

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't and wont fry the ECU. Respectfully that is nonsense.
I used one with out a hiccup on a twin turbo BMW for 3 years.
Can you run any of the maps on a complete stock setup? Or will that harm the car?
Btw i dont have access to 93 fuel only 91. Any idea how much hp tq i would get with stock setup on 91 fuel with jb4.?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Yes, the only 'mod' I have on the engine is an Eventuri intake which is 100% for show.. or something close to it.
Sponsored