Recall Work Denied because JB4 and DP

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Recall work not done because of mods that dont have any thing to do with said recall is a lawsuit waiting to happen
I believe you mean the opposite.

If someone had the software recall done with software/engine mods, the dealer does do the software recall, some accident happens and someone ambulance chaser finds some case there related to the combination- Toyota gets sued.

I take it you have exactly zero experience with the American legal system.

Toyota is 100% correct to deny any work on a modified vehicle. If the vehicle is not operating 100% within its designed specifications they have every right to deny they work, as they should, if we're speaking from a legal stand point.
Sponsored

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
B58 3.0 Supras, and a host of other BMWs that use this version of the engine. Nothing for the 2.0s, you're fine.
This is not accurate. I received a notice months ago that my VIN falls under the brake recall.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
A dealership being a private business has every right to deny you service if they see or feel your car has been modified. This is a “pay to play” scenario which every car enthusiast should be aware of.

Dealer A may deny you service but Dealer B may not have any issue. You in turn are within your right to try and make a case for a lawsuit if you feel you’ve been “wronged.” Be warned that dealerships and manufacturers have floors of lawyers just sitting around waiting to do something.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
This is not accurate. I received a notice months ago that my VIN falls under the brake recall.
21TA04 Brake Recall or 21TC02 12V battery improper programming recall?

Care to DM me your VIN so I can look? It'd be the first 2.0 I've heard of being affected by the brake issue.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
21TA04 Brake Recall or 21TC02 12V battery improper programming recall?

Care to DM me your VIN so I can look? It'd be the first 2.0 I've heard of being affected by the brake issue.
Actually my bad…you are correct. The recall notice was for the “improper programming in the 12V battery management system.”

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah, I should have disconnected the JB4 at a minimum but the can probably see the Flex Fuel sniffer in the engine bay as well. Have to find a dealer that won’t be pricks about it. I was actually surprised they can turn anyone away from a safety recall regardless of mods….couldn’t they be susceptible to being sued if there was an issue due to the recall after they deny someone?
Heck, according to Toyota a dealer DOES NOT have to accept warranty work if they don't want to!

OP
OP
GMsuperfan

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Heck, according to Toyota a dealer DOES NOT have to accept warranty work if they don't want to!
That seems like a court case waiting to happen.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Toyota is 100% correct to deny any work on a modified vehicle. If the vehicle is not operating 100% within its designed specifications they have every right to deny they work, as they should, if we're speaking from a legal stand point.
Pretty sure part of the paperwork you sign when you buy your car states this also. Of course if you have problems YOU can hire a lawyer.

I have actually been denied warranty work on a completely stock car (not my supra) because they said I abused the car. But they ended up fixing it after I reasoned with them.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Pretty sure part of the paperwork you sign when you buy your car states this also. Of course if you have problems YOU can hire a lawyer.

I have actually been denied warranty work on a completely stock car (not my supra) because they said I abused the car. But they ended up fixing it after I reasoned with them.
Similar story. Back in the 90s one of the front tires on my new Mustang Cobra started chunking. I drove aggressively but there was no track day or autocross use involved. Went to the local Tire store that carried the tire (was a BFG of some type) for a warranty claim. They also claimed it was because of "abuse". I mentioned warranty of suitability and showed them the ads for the tire that showed doing donuts and being sideways on a track with smoke billowing. They called corporate and got permission to replace the tire at half off. Only problem was the half was off retail which was significantly more than twice what the tire sold for.

I simply told them to pound sand and that I had purchased my last BFG tire. Haven't bought another one since....

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Took mine to Landers Toyota in Little Rock. Rolled up with catless downpipe, slammed with Tomei exhaust, jb4 and dual meth injection set up. No problem. They even called me to check before starting the recall to make sure I knew if that if my ecu was unlocked with a tune that it would re lock it. Can't complain there. Easy peasy.
That's that white privilege

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra