Jim bagan toyota sold me a scratched up supra!

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
I shared my horrific gr supra purchase experience with jim bagan toyota of south lake tahoe in the members intro thread earlier this week. I am following up with documentation of damage the car arrived in that I feel needs to be repaired by Toyota.

I have filed a complaint through the toyota brand engagement message system and am awaiting their response. In the meantime I would like some advice on what you would do if your new supra arrived at your door with the following damage.

supra-scratched-acdisplay.jpg
Sponsored

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Not sure about the paint, with the reflection its kind of hard to see what you mean. Do you mean what looks like the top left of a rectangle with rounded off corners? That shape is so precise AND the reflection quality is different like it's not as much a scratch but a different material. You sure we aren't looking at the PPF that they put on the nose of these cars?

Scratch on the radio is unfortunate. Might try and see if you can score a free 10k service or something from them.

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
Not sure about the paint...
That rectangle with rounded corners is my phone taking the video. The damage is the two round dots of discoloration. that is the clear coat missing. this area is a few inches above the front emblem into the hood. ive attached another pic showing what tape they used and where exactly the clearcoat is missing. The next pic is the response I just received from toyota brand engagement a minute ago.

IMG_1099.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 8.40.06 AM.png

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
So I asked them to have the dealership reach out to me to fix the issues and got the following response. I also asked what kind of compensation they would ask if they were in my shoes, in addition to fixing the damages, but the lady said that is my "negotiation" to make. What a fucking shitshow to use that word. Looks like another episode of a possession owning me rather than me owning it. I am tired.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 10.25.11 AM.png

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Here is the part for the temp gauge if you want them to replace it:

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-...wcmEmeT0yMDIwJnQ9cHJlbWl1bSZlPTMtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz

Regarding the paint - are you saying the tape from the protector film pulled it up?

I'm wondering if they marred the paint with a rag, or its leftover residue.

You should try getting some polish and polishing it out.

I bought my Supra new off the showroom floor and it had a small similar scratch in the temp unit screen, along with small scratches in the paint, etc.

I took a day off from work and polished it and then put some ceramic coating on it - looks beautiful now.

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
I'm wondering if they marred the paint with a rag, or its leftover residue.
The spots are dull like theres no clear coat on it and it feels like the clear coat came off when touching it. Leftover reside would feel like a layer on top of the clear coat. this feels like its recessed. I appreciate the link for the temp gauge.

derocknc

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Infiniti Q50, 2018 Audi A4
That's kind of scaring me to have a car shipped across the country, which is what I'll likely have to do since I want a manual. To make you feel a little better about it, that color looks sick in the sun.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
1684511960602.png

These two guys?
Wtf. Watched the video 10 times, still can't see this. Hey yo optometrist here I come.

Is this a brand new car or used one?
How many miles are on it?? Radio don't look good.
Why the heck is the interior so dirty??

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
Wtf. Watched the video 10 times, still can't see this. Hey yo optometrist here I come.

Is this a brand new car or used one?
How many miles are on it?? Radio don't look good.
Why the heck is the interior so dirty??
It strangely had 14 miles on the sticker before being driven 100 miles from stealership to my door. They said it had to be driven to BMW for the PDI process for an update. They waited until they showed up to my door with the car to tell me this. They also got the payment amount I owed wrong and I ended up overpaying by around $16. Their excuse was that they couldn't determine the exact amount due to local taxes. I never heard of this problem before and didn't have an issue with the car i bought from them not even a year ago.

The drivers side door sill also had dirt marks from the delivery driver's shoes. The guy was an older gentleman and was oblivious to leaving them there and really didn't seem happy for me when making me sign the paperwork inside my house. I should have told him to clean the shoe marks he left and did a close inspection while him and his partner were there but it's too late now. I was never offered any insight on how to use any functions inside the car and made the mistake of trusting them. The only advice I received from them was to use zipties myself to keep the rear temp plate secured. He then showed me a picture of his son (I think) posing next to an old school mini cooper before leaving and I was just thinking in my head why is this boomer showing me this?

STi_to_GRzupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra MT Premium, 2021 4Runner TRD Pro
14 miles seems right for a new car. It comes with a few miles from the factory and the tech has to drive it a few more miles for PDI.

As far as the door sill getting dirty cause by the ā€œoldā€ driver, remember we are all getting there.

$16? Really. You just spent $60k for a car.

Just get a resolution fix the AC screen and the paint. Which I still donā€™t see the blemish.

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
14 miles seems right for a new car. It comes with a few miles from the factory and the tech has to drive it a few more miles for PDI.

As far as the door sill getting dirty cause by the ā€œoldā€ driver, remember we are all getting there.

$16? Really. You just spent $60k for a car.

Just get a resolution fix the AC screen and the paint. Which I still donā€™t see the blemish.
The dirt on the door sill wasnt a major deal. Its the culmination of these small things along with the bigger costly things along with their piss poor attitude that made for a bad experience for me. Your opinion about 16 dollars being insignificant is similar to someone that wants to defend the dealership for no reason. I don't see why you choose to go into damage control mode and try to downplay the situation here. By all means the stealership fucked up and nobody should accept this is a customer. I should have the right number given to me when I am on the phone and at the bank making out a cashier's check. I told them they were elementary with this mistake, among others, and I will not change my stance on that.

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
The stealership doesnā€™t care about you in particular b/c they figure you are not going to bring them any maintenance or repeat businessā€¦. Youā€™re 100 miles away.
Sponsored