Jim bagan toyota sold me a scratched up supra!

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Sorry but if a crappy Chevy Spark can come in *mint* condition, it is very well expected in this day and age to get a 60K car in MINT condition. Anything less than that is how dealers sell their "as is" used cars!
If they're not taking any pride in their dealership and the quality it brings onward, then they shall stop selling cars and let direct ship to customer model take over.
All true but not the reality. One person "mint" is another persons Meh. When I collect a new car and the sales person is crapping on about the pretty Bow on the hood or the "big reveal" and photo's of me with my new car I'm there shooing him away to do the paperwork while I have a thoroughly good inspection of the quality of what I'm handing over my money for. One of our new cars my wife noticed a slight mark on the headlight assembly and although it shouldn't be there the reality is even for me "Mr pedantic" it's not worth the risk/reward calculation. They are after all mass produced and part of the risk/reward calculation is also the "defect to mental health"' aspect. Aiming for totally perfect from a mass produced product is a recipe for insanity. In addition to that there are so many areas that you have know idea about. A friend of mine that worked for À major manufacturer"' here in their test cells carrying out engine calibration and endurance testing all day every day had a task at one point to test a random selection of imported engines for performance and oil consumption. There had been a few hundred engine show up in the country for fitment to cars here that they had been advised had out of round bores and they needed to run a test programme to ascertain whether or not they were actually useable or needed to be scrapped.
They decided at the end to use them, ahem, but there were customers that had brand new cars with "less than optimal" shall we say engines. So there's always something it's just you don't know about it yet or maybe ever. Better that way so life's not more complicated than it is already.

Phil
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
A friend of mine that worked for À major manufacturer"' here in their test cells carrying out engine calibration and endurance testing all day every day had a task at one point to test a random selection of imported engines for performance and oil consumption. There had been a few hundred engine show up in the country for fitment to cars here that they had been advised had out of round bores and they needed to run a test programme to ascertain whether or not they were actually useable or needed to be scrapped.
They decided at the end to use them, ahem, but there were customers that had brand new cars with "less than optimal" shall we say engines. So there's always something it's just you don't know about it yet or maybe ever. Better that way so life's not more complicated than it is already.
Well that's a gamble I've not taken in any of my automotive employments. Half of those bad decisions end up with hefty costly recalls and waste tax payers money as investigations are opened, etc..

Anyhow, that's not a visual defect and is a totally different issue in itself.

You buy a $1000+ phone with screen scratch? Are you willing to accept it? I'm not.
Are you willing to buy a car with scratches? I don't. Especially if you're thinking about selling down the road. Also, if you apply any PPF, you do care about the paint and visual looks.
Ah you know what whatever, you do you...

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Well that's a gamble I've not taken in any of my automotive employments. Half of those bad decisions end up with hefty costly recalls and waste tax payers money as investigations are opened, etc..

Anyhow, that's not a visual defect and is a totally different issue in itself.

You buy a $1000+ phone with screen scratch? Are you willing to accept it? I'm not.
Are you willing to buy a car with scratches? I don't. Especially if you're thinking about selling down the road. Also, if you apply any PPF, you do care about the paint and visual looks.
Ah you know what whatever, you do you...
I think we’re talking past each other here. None of us thinks it’s right or wants to accept things like this. What I’m saying is that the dealership does not care, and in most cases, nor does Toyota.

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
I think we’re talking past each other here. None of us thinks it’s right or wants to accept things like this. What I’m saying is that the dealership does not care, and in most cases, nor does Toyota.
I have low expectations in general. But for me to take the high road here and not expect the stealership to pay to fix these issues would make me a sucker that got had. I would rather sue them and lose money than to accept this car as-is, just because I am somehow supposed to accept this as regular conduct, which I don't.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I have low expectations in general. But for me to take the high road here and not expect the stealership to pay to fix these issues would make me a sucker that got had. I would rather sue them and lose money than to accept this car as-is, just because I am somehow supposed to accept this as regular conduct, which I don't.
Sue? For that? Yikes.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I was on your side but sue? That's a little excessive. You can buff it out. I'm sure you could even buff out the scratch on the AC. 15 minutes vs months dealing with lawyers.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Jesus

just wow

I wouldn’t be surprised if OP isn’t named Kevin, has a man bun and drinks Dutch bros daily

Already busted out lawsuit
 LeT mE sPeAk To YoUr MaNaGeR

Get it paint corrected, ( if you really cared you’d do this anyways, even new cars come from the factory with blemishes) PPF it and enjoy the car. If you get this wound up over something this small, unless wrap it and put it in storage until it’s worth something one day.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I’ve only taken delivery of one new car where the dealership didn’t scratch up the exterior and interior somehow. I asked them to only perform the mechanical PPE and leave the interior and body alone. They didn’t even do the mechanical inspection so the car was totally unmolested.

Every other new car I’ve bought has come with dealer installed scratches. The exterior has always been superficial swirl marks that I easily fixed. In some cases the interior damage was much harder to fix or even permanent without replacing expensive parts.

When my Supra arrives I’m going to tell them to just leave the interior alone. I’ll be doing a paint correction on the exterior anyways.

Good luck to OP. I understand being upset. However, I would suggest trying to approach the situation with some grace. Being this upset over anything is bad for your health, and also won’t necessarily convince the dealer to take care of you.

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
Good luck to OP. I understand being upset. However, I would suggest trying to approach the situation with some grace. Being this upset over anything is bad for your health, and also won’t necessarily convince the dealer to take care of you.
You are right, but I am not really upset, more disappointed in how these things are considered normal. The car could go up in flames tomorrow and I wouldn't care. I am not attached to material possessions. But i like the car more than numbers on a screen that are guaranteed to be worth less purchasing power as time passes.

I just see this trend of being disappointed when dealing with people and the business they work in, whether it may be that my standards are uncalled for, or in fact people are just shitty and there's no two butts about it while the problem is always I and never them.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
The OP has some serious perfection complex. Probably spends all his time alone without any friends because he finds faults with people. I can just imagine him putting down the toilet seat when he pees so he doesn't get the toilet rim wet.

Life is not perfect and when you don't make the damn effort to get your own car and inspect it at the dealership, don't start bitching about it later. It was driven 14 miles and you bitch about it (this happens all the time), then after someone delivers it to you driving 100 miles, what the heck do you think would happen? The car was on the road! It's like you buying a used car with 114 miles at that point.

Is the car perfect? No it's not. But if you drive that car, it would get way worse later. Just accept it for what it is and move on. Don't sue, don't pass go.

GR007

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 A91CF, '21 A90 3.0 Prem, '21 Audi RS5, '96 Z3
Well I can help resolve this with your Dealer. Have the Service Manager ask that the Toyota Field representative come and evaluate the damaged area. You will need to schedule an appointment with the Field rep through your dealer. They do this all the time. The rep will make evaluations on what needs to be done and get the course of action to repair or replace. The dealer doesn’t make the car, Toyota does so it’s their responsibility to pay to have the repair done. The Toyota Customer Service line will not advise you to do this but they tell you to go back to the dealer. The dealer can facilitate everything through Toyota’s Field rep and get Toyota to pay for the repair. It’s not the dealership’s responsibility to pay for manufacturing issues. Simple and easy but you will have to go to the selling dealer or the closest dealership to you.

LateBraker5

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
So since no one else is really helping, the picture with the paint looks like trash was cleaned out of the paint and they did a poor job with buff. This was extremely likely performed at the factory and it’s VERY common. There’s a reason Paint Correction is a standard process for high value cars. I did paint and bodywork for 15yrs, I’ve seen very high end cars come in with trash in the paint and similar issues. Talk to the dealership, be REASONABLE and ask if they will cover a detail/body shop of your choice to resolve the issue. Frankly as someone who worked in the industry, being normal and courteous goes a long way.

The image of the scratched screen, same thing. “Hey I noticed this was damaged when I received the vehicle, I’d like to explore my options to resolve this”. And hey I get it you’re worked up, it’s a big purchase. But I mean this as nicely as possible. Breath.

*edit* if you’re looking for some honestly brutal advice, buy a case of beer, go to a local body shop, and ask a paint helper to buff and polish it for you. Throw them a crispy 50, case of beer, andsavw yourself from a fight with a dealership over something that is likely not their fault. Should take all of 15 minutes to resolve. They can probably take care of the scratch on the screen as well.
This is the most helpful reply, right here:)

Be human, talk to the dealer to see what can be done within reason.

Honestly with stuff like this, I would try to address it myself. Not because I want to feel like a “sucker”, or like getting taken advantage of, but it’s simply not worth my time, energy, stress, effort, and the talk of lawsuits.