Sell 2.0 Back to the Stealership at a Higher Price?

Bad Karma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
So here's the situado. I got a call from a couple of dealerships wanting to buy my 2.0 for more than I paid for it. It sounds like a no-brainer, but I've spent an embarrassing amount on mods because I like my 2.0 and planned to keep it for at least a couple more years. My interest rate is in the twos and my payment is $114/month. I only owe like $5.5k more on it, I think. I can afford a higher payment, but am very debt-averse and want another investment property in the next few years once the market inevitably crashes. Do I strip the 2.0 of the mods, sell it back, and try to get into a 3.0? I just got off the phone with one of the stealerships that I originally bought the 2.0 from, and they have a nocturnal black 3.0 coming in a couple months, but they want $3k over MSRP. I said absolutely not, especially considering my interest rate won't be in the twos again. Just looking for advice on how to navigate this. Other cars I'd be interested in would be the new M2 or a Porsche Cayman, but I don't know if I'm ready to take the leap yet to something in the $70k range. Plus I think I'd miss my Supra too much. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
I just sold my 2021 2.0 to Carmax for $44K, almost $4K more than I bought it for in Nov of 2021. I was also looking at the new M2, but could not get past that silly ipad like dashboard setup nor the projected 8-12 month wait. Smaller things that scared me away are it's weight and the extra $10K pricetag. I was lucky enough to find a nocturnal 3.0 premium manual at MSRP, no markup. It's already built and waiting for shipment. They wanted the trade in but no guarantees they would give me $44K as a trade value. I loved my 2.0, so more power and a manual transmission will be awesome in this car.

OP
OP
Bad Karma

Bad Karma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
I just sold my 2021 2.0 to Carmax for $44K, almost $4K more than I bought it for in Nov of 2021. I was also looking at the new M2, but could not get past that silly ipad like dashboard setup nor the projected 8-12 month wait. Smaller things that scared me away are it's weight and the extra $10K pricetag. I was lucky enough to find a nocturnal 3.0 premium manual at MSRP, no markup. It's already built and waiting for shipment. They wanted the trade in but no guarantees they would give me $44K as a trade value. I loved my 2.0, so more power and a manual transmission will be awesome in this car.
Haha, you sound like me exactly. I got the 2.0 because I practically stole the thing from the dealership and still fell in love with the car's looks and handling. Yes, power could be a bit better, but after a CDP, exhaust, and JB4, it's quick enough to get me in some trouble on backroads around here. I don't drive it much, and after two years it only has 12,000 miles on it. I, also, am not a fan of the new M2's looks, but the power sounds nice and a manual transmission. I would have paid over MSRP for a manual Supra, but not $3k and not for an auto. The ZF8 is amazing, but I've had that and want to go back to rowing my own gears. I bring my car to another dealership for service, and they've also asked to buy it back; so we'll see if they can find me a manual. Otherwise, I might keep the 2.0 for another year and save up for a Cayman or something, or the Emira is looking sweet, but those look like no MSRP either. It's a shitty time in the market to be buying/selling anything.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
I sold my 2.0L more than I paid back when the market was hotter. My problem with the 2.0L was sound. The 3.0L with the right exhaust sounds amazing and that's half the fun for me. I knew I eventually wanted a 3.0L so I sold it.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
M2 and Cayman, those 2 usually don't go together with investment properties later. However Prius pairs well with the investment properties talk.

I'd say stick to what's important to you, fame or fortune.
Sponsored