Launch Control on 6spd?

Unfocus

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra 6spd
Hey everyone I came from an evo x, just picked up a 2024 manual supra. Just curious if there's like a built in launch control or rev limit? My evo x would bounce off 5500 rpms. I noticed it revs freely in neutral but once I'm in 1st gear it doesn't want to seem to rev. Is there a certain rpm that's optimal for taking off that will launch hard with minimal wheelspin(I know it'll spin regardless) I just heard higher rpm will cause it to just spin way more.
Also wondering if it's worth getting a 4" catted downpipe over the stock 3.15. Looking at rk Titanium catback to pair with it.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Why did you get a MT if accelerating was your goal..? AT is so much faster out of the box. :crazy: Should've kept your EVO man.

OP
OP

Unfocus

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra 6spd
Why did you get a MT if accelerating was your goal..? AT is so much faster out of the box. :crazy: Should've kept your EVO man.
Should probably not assume things.
Accelerating isn't my goal. Having fun is my goal.
My Evo X was a 10 year project I had that I put my hardworking and money into and a lot of emotion which burned down recently from a fuel line leak which led me to trying something different.
Supra is much slower but is already much more fun to drive. Also got the manual brand new for less than msrp. So very lucky.

PRMANManman

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Stratosphere MT Premium 3.0 Supra
Should probably not assume things.
Accelerating isn't my goal. Having fun is my goal.
My Evo X was a 10 year project I had that I put my hardworking and money into and a lot of emotion which burned down recently from a fuel line leak which led me to trying something different.
Supra is much slower but is already much more fun to drive. Also got the manual brand new for less than msrp. So very lucky.
Sorry to hear about what happened to the EVO.

I have a MT and I don’t believe there is launch control. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Welcome to the Supra club, there are a lot of great people on this forum believe it or not.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
Rev to 3500, on green light, dump the clutch and hit it. Minimal wheel spin every time.

I recommend removing the clutch delay valve. It really helps with launching hard, clutch kicks and minimal grind on the 1-2 and a clean chirp on the 2-3

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
I noticed it revs freely in neutral but once I'm in 1st gear it doesn't want to seem to rev.
Mine will rev to 6800 in neutral while the gear shift lever in first. If there's a soft limiter, then it is either new for 24, or a Canadian thing.

On a prepped surface, I found that a bit over 5000 is ideal for launching. But on the street, anything past 2500 is worthless, since the car is so traction limited that it is cutting power anyway.

Afterburn 549

First Name
stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR 3.0
In the day all the Non electric gizmos made a driver, a driver.
Now, everyone needs a button or a switch per function.

OP
OP

Unfocus

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra 6spd
I always thought launch control in a manual was dependent on the driver, not an aid. Part of the fun of owning a manual is learning the car's optimal launch conditions, no?
No you are correct, I've never driven rwd. I just find it odd it's very hard to rev the car out when in gear.

The rpm doesn't affect the driver skill it's the actual launch. When we launched the evo x, if you didn't release the clutch properly you either bogged the car, burner the clutch or launched hard af. Might be different with rwd since it's easier for wheel spin. You had to be perfect on the evo x otherwise you were buying a new clutch, transfer case and/or rear diff which I never had issues with.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
No you are correct, I've never driven rwd. I just find it odd it's very hard to rev the car out when in gear.

The rpm doesn't affect the driver skill it's the actual launch. When we launched the evo x, if you didn't release the clutch properly you either bogged the car, burner the clutch or launched hard af. Might be different with rwd since it's easier for wheel spin. You had to be perfect on the evo x otherwise you were buying a new clutch, transfer case and/or rear diff which I never had issues with.
Interesting. I've done some decent pulls but haven't really taken note of launch conditions to be honest. Other than the odd traffic light drag, going fast in a straight line isn't really my thing.

OP
OP

Unfocus

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra 6spd
Interesting. I've done some decent pulls but haven't really taken note of launch conditions to be honest. Other than the odd traffic light drag, going fast in a straight line isn't really my thing.
Yeah, I just want to try all aspects of this car. It's been a ton of fun. I'm taking it out to our local track here soon as well, from what I've tried I just seem to spin which is a good and bad thing. Spinning less shock/wear to drive train. I wonder if anyone has tried pushing a lot of power out of this manual trans yet

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Our biggest problem is that the clutch will start to slip at some point..
Yes, but that's the ideal weak link in the driveline, is it not? A wear item that you'll have to replace eventually anyways.

94boosted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R MT
Rev to 3500, on green light, dump the clutch and hit it. Minimal wheel spin every time.

I recommend removing the clutch delay valve. It really helps with launching hard, clutch kicks and minimal grind on the 1-2 and a clean chirp on the 2-3
I get pretty bad wheel hop in mine when I launch at around 3500-4000. Makes me a bit nervous for sure. That's on warm sticky tires (RE71RS) on a non-prepped surface (though it does have a fair bit of rubber down).

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
I get pretty bad wheel hop in mine when I launch at around 3500-4000. Makes me a bit nervous for sure. That's on warm sticky tires (RE71RS) on a non-prepped surface (though it does have a fair bit of rubber down).
stock alignment? I have mine setup with 2.5* of camber in the rear and it took away what little hop I had
Sponsored