RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
My crypto is riding until I can afford GT3

Sorely tempted by the Emira however
GT3's are everywhere. Superb yes. My neighbor in Germany daily'd a GT3RS-4.0
Rain, shine etc. Didnt matter. I saw him at my favorite cafe on the platz and asked him - Why are you driving this as much as you are. It is superb and beautiful - he said - Its a car, YOU DRIVE IT!
Sponsored

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Well I too have been looking at the Emira as a replacement for the Supra in 2 years.

What I do , as i have done with all my cars including the Supra , is to join the cars forum and immediately go to the problems and issues threads and see how the owners are reacting.

Well .. there are plenty of issues and niggles on the Emira forums,

Not starting
Wiper issues
poor paint finish
water ingress
engine management lights / limp mode

Speaking to owners they seem happy that they just stop the car , turn off , wait one minute and start and its ok.

Other owners say dealers are poor and just refer car issues to head office in Hethel.

Does seem also i would be losing some tech that is useful that the supra has:

Cross Traffic Detection
Advanced Cruise Control
Lane Assist
a good satnav ( lotus has the volvo nav)
Heads up display
Blind spot detection
Adaptive suspension
RTTI ( Real time traffic Info)
Cheap Servicing / local dealer
...and 0-60 sub 4 sec performance

I suppose its what you get from a "smaller" car manufacturer.

I seriously hope they address these issues not only as i want one as its a bea-u-tiful car ... but also for the long term future of Lotus.

Last edited:

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I was super interested in this car well prior to preordering. However after I saw those engine choices I definitely lost a lot of that interest. I sure the handling is superb, but why mate the car with a SC Camry V6? 0-60 times arenā€™t the pinnacle of performance, but why so sluggish in this price bracket? If the Lotus 0-60 cliche is to continue - shouldnā€™t it atleast post good lap times? Iā€™d take an Emira at the Supra price point over the Supra for looks alone, but Iā€™ll be waiting for something else like a R36 etc for the next car

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Emira seems like a fantastic machine. I wonder, though, about the ownership experience.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
I was super interested in this car well prior to preordering. However after I saw those engine choices I definitely lost a lot of that interest. I sure the handling is superb, but why mate the car with a SC Camry V6? 0-60 times arenā€™t the pinnacle of performance, but why so sluggish in this price bracket? If the Lotus 0-60 cliche is to continue - shouldnā€™t it atleast post good lap times? Iā€™d take an Emira at the Supra price point over the Supra for looks alone, but Iā€™ll be waiting for something else like a R36 etc for the next car
reading this i thought "no way it has a camry V6". so i researched the engine and it's toyota's popular V6! my family has gone through tons of toyota and lexus cars and this engine has always been great.

more research: this engine was used in Super GT racing, Evora, and Exige.

this is just conversation, i know nothing of its "sport" performance or lap times, etc.

edit: throttle house has a video on it. i will watch

edit: "...to its credit, during this filming day, Thomas and I remarked often that the engine is no less titillating than the Cayman GTS' 4.0L flat-six, a high compliment..."

Last edited:

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
reading this i thought "no way it has a camry V6". so i researched the engine and it's toyota's popular V6! my family has gone through tons of toyota and lexus cars and this engine has always been great.

this is just conversation, i know nothing of its "sport" performance or lap times, etc.

Lotus has been using Toyota engines for a long time. IF, and itā€™s a big if, IF my memory is right they used a 1.8L in the Elise that produced 200 hp. I remember bitching nearly 20 years ago about why does my Scion tC have a Camry 2.4L lump with only 160 hp when Toyota had a smaller engine with 40 hp more. Someone correct me if my numbers, and memory for that matter, are wrong.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

edit: "...to its credit, during this filming day, Thomas and I remarked often that the engine is no less titillating than the Cayman GTS' 4.0L flat-six, a high compliment..."
It definitely adds reliability and yeah thereā€™s history with it. Thereā€™s nothing ā€œwrongā€ with it. But at this price range why not something a bit more exciting and high reving? 310lbsTq and ~410hp at 6800rpm (redline) isnā€™t particularly thrilling at 100k. But the old adage ā€œyou donā€™t buy a Lotus for 0-60 timesā€ must be repeated.

TH has a serious skew toward the Emira (they preordered one). They were giving it high praises BEFORE reviewing one in person and struggled to find basically any legitimate faults with the car - whilst avoiding any review performance, possibly due to Lotus preventing reviewers from discussing the topic (CarWOW gave a bit of a workaround showing their tester hit a 0-60 in well over 5sec).

That TH review was one of my least favorite reviews from them - even amongst their harsh Supra reviews. The Emira is absolutely gorgeous - one of my favorite looking cars in yearsssss. But I really wanted more oomph (but thatā€™s my personal bias).

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Wow... I can't believe I'm seeing/getting "Nice Toyota" comment vibes regarding the Lotus Emira, on a GR Supra forum, where we receive daily "Nice BMW" comments, thought we'd be better than that.

Disclosure: I love the Supra, I love the Emira, both great engines, both staggering looks šŸ¤©šŸ„°

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wow... I can't believe I'm seeing/getting "Nice Toyota" comment vibes regarding the Lotus Emira, on a GR Supra forum, where we receive daily "Nice BMW" comments, thought we'd be better than that.

Disclosure: I love the Supra, I love the Emira, both great engines, both staggering looks šŸ¤©šŸ„°
I donā€™t think Iā€™m getting or intending those vibes. My qualm is the engine performance - who cares who makes what. Hell I owned a Crossfire SRT6 once - Chrysler/amg/MB whatever lol.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
Configurator for the 4 pot is now liveā€¦ and it comes in at a whopping $99,900.

I was somewhat interested in the 4 pot (kind of want to bring home a 4 cylinder mid engine car next) but not at that price. The supercharged V6 is only $6k more - not sure who would willingly buy the I4.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I have had a deposit on a first edition for a very long time now, it should be the first batch of orders getting delivered to the US but the delays are insane. Talking to my dealer, he thinks I'll be lucky If I get it early 2024, and while first edition owners get Price locked from the MSRP jumps (thank god, ford screwed me on the Braptor order), everyone else is getting shafted with the higher MSRP. I Had high hopes as I loved the evora but it was too much of a glued-together mess for me to spend that much money on it, I hope the Emira is better but not looking optimistic.
Sponsored