Low coolant

Eddie21

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
My 2022 3.0 had white residue on/around my larger coolant. I checked my larger coolant tank and it was basically empty. The smaller tank was still filled to the max. The car has 25k. I see people replacing the coolant cap it seems to fix the issue. Are people replacing with another OEM cap or are you guys switching to CTS or Versus caps? TIA
Sponsored

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
That doesn't sound good, residue can indicate a small leak but it shouldn't be empty, did the car throw up a code or a message on the dash about low coolant?

I have the stock cap, no residue, but I think most guys are getting aftermarket ones when replacing.

OP
OP

Eddie21

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
That doesn't sound good, residue can indicate a small leak but it shouldn't be empty, did the car throw up a code or a message on the dash about low coolant?

I have the stock cap, no residue, but I think most guys are getting aftermarket ones when replacing.
No code was thrown which was stranger for it being empty and having the sensor on it since itā€™s the larger tank. Do you recommend any specific aftermarket cap? Thanks

OP
OP

Eddie21

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Happened to me around 30k, seems to be a common "issue" which I wouldn't really call an issue. Just needs a top up. Haven't noticed my levels drop after topping it up 5k miles ago.
Are you using the Ht-12 coolant or the coolant Toyota gets from bmw? Thanks

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Are you using the Ht-12 coolant or the coolant Toyota gets from bmw? Thanks
I topped off with distilled water. I went to Toyota intending to do a full coolant flush and they told me they needed to get it from BMW and it was on backorder. I ended up buying ht-12 from FCP Euro and will take it with me when I go back for service later.

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
I received the low coolant message this past week at 20k. I freaked a little thinking there was a leak. No signs of one but I just had the last free Toyota care service done 3 weeks ago and they ā€œtopped everything offā€. I took it back in and Toyota said the engine coolant reservoir took a ā€œcupā€ of coolant and the other reservoir was fullā€¦
Not sure how your reservoir was almost empty if mine tripped the sensor when it did. However I will say that my cap(s) were clean, no residue.
For what itā€™s worth I would get a new cap and have Toyota check to see if the sensor is functioning properly.

ElGalloFirme

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 21 3.0P
My 2022 3.0 had white residue on/around my larger coolant. I checked my larger coolant tank and it was basically empty. The smaller tank was still filled to the max. The car has 25k. I see people replacing the coolant cap it seems to fix the issue. Are people replacing with another OEM cap or are you guys switching to CTS or Versus caps? TIA
I just got the warning on my '21 3.0 premium has 11k miles, I also had residue around the cap. Hopefully it's not a leak, but I just ordered the coolant and I'm going to top it off. If it does go away, I'll end up taking it to the dealer.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
Did you check your coolant level when it was new? Did you ever check it? Manufacturers skimp on everything. It's possibly it came with a near empty overflow and it was never topped off during PPI. Also the overflows, as someone already said, are so tiny it takes very little top them off. The plastic caps are not airtight so you will get some evap out of the overflow over time.

devnull

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra 3.0 premium, 2021 Tesla M3P
Do you smell coolant by the reservoir after driving it? Iā€™m super sensitive to the smell of coolant and I have that scent near my drivers side. Can not find a leak and replaced 2 caps. Dealer checked it out and said no leaks and pressure test was fine. Water pump was fine as well. No leaks around oil filter housing (b58 group said to check that). Iā€™m thinking there may be a crack in the reservoir, the connection on the bottom or the threads are somehow messed up. Iā€™m about to just order a new reservoir and replace it to ease my mind.

hopefully for you itā€™s just a cap or something easily identifiable, because for some reason mine isnā€™t.

I really want to mod this car more, but this is driving me crazy.

Jnhalstead

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Check for white residue on front middle of motor. The lil weap hole seems to be an issue. Mine has a slow leak.

OP
OP

Eddie21

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Do you smell coolant by the reservoir after driving it? Iā€™m super sensitive to the smell of coolant and I have that scent near my drivers side. Can not find a leak and replaced 2 caps. Dealer checked it out and said no leaks and pressure test was fine. Water pump was fine as well. No leaks around oil filter housing (b58 group said to check that). Iā€™m thinking there may be a crack in the reservoir, the connection on the bottom or the threads are somehow messed up. Iā€™m about to just order a new reservoir and replace it to ease my mind.

hopefully for you itā€™s just a cap or something easily identifiable, because for some reason mine isnā€™t.

I really want to mod this car more, but this is driving me crazy.
Thatā€™s a good idea, can I just buy a Z4 coolant cap? Itā€™ll be cheaper and faster to get than a new one from Toyota. Thatā€™s crazy because Iā€™m also trying to mod my Supra, I have all my parts but donā€™t wanna add things until I figure it out.

devnull

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra 3.0 premium, 2021 Tesla M3P
Thatā€™s a good idea, can I just buy a Z4 coolant cap? Itā€™ll be cheaper and faster to get than a new one from Toyota. Thatā€™s crazy because Iā€™m also trying to mod my Supra, I have all my parts but donā€™t wanna add things until I figure it out.
as far as I know the z4 cap should be the same. They are like $20 even from Toyota though so itā€™s not an expensive part to test out.
Sponsored